Report From AMS Conference on TCs in Tucson, AZ

Tropical Weather Discussions and Analysis
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm at the AMS 29th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology in Tucson, AZ all this week.
http://www.ametsoc.org/MEET/fainst/2010 ... canes.html

Not a whole lot of excitement at the conference yet. Just saw 6-8 peccaries (sort of like a pig) while walking around the golf cart path on the course next to the hotel after sunset. Heard a big rustling of brush a few feet to my right as I walked across a bridge over a dry creek bed. Here's one of them. Shot was taken from about 20 feet away looking down from the bridge:

Ran into Bill Read (NHC director) right after I got here. He had just parked his rental car. Phil Klotzbach & i were talking and he asked about a supermarket in the area to get some supplies. Meals here are ridiculously high as there's nowhere else to eat but the resort. And we're in the middle of nowhere so you can't walk anywhere. I told Phil that Bill Read has a car. Saw Bill a bit later and he said he was going to go to a store to get some stuff. So we all went to Safeway for cereal, bananas, bread and lunch meat. $18 for 5 days worth of breakfast and lunch vs. $15+ just for breakfast each day.

So far, haven't heard any exciting talks. My presentation is tomorrow afternoon. Hard to give much of a talk in just 12 minutes.

Here's the view from the back of the hotel out across the golf course:

And a big saguaro cactus on the golf course. Probably 125 years old. They seem to grow like weeds around here. Don't know why they're a protected species.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the updates wxman57. Good Luck with that 12 minute presentation and any questions regarding PDI. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This conference is held every 2 years, alternating between Florida and the western U.S. (San Diego 2002, Monterey 2006 and Tucson 2010). About half the attendees are from Asia or Australia, so the western U.S. is closer to them. Tucson is sort if in the middle of nowhere, though. They must have received a good deal at the resort.
Paul

Is that bigfoot in that picture? :D looks like a deer to me....any rate, Tucson is a nice place to visit but a little dry and hot for my taste. In fact, I am heading out there next week Mon and Tuesday....fun times..
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Final day of the conference. Dr. Bill Gray is speaking in the first session that deals with hurricanes and climate change. Should be some fireworks there. Last speaker in the conference is Ryan Maue of FSU:

http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/

Most talks have been highly technical. Mo major revelations here.
  • Information