Question

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
gocuse22

Can someone explain the difference between Industrial Meteorology, and environmental meteorology
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

gocuse22 wrote:Can someone explain the difference between Industrial Meteorology, and environmental meteorology
I think I can. We call one group of ours "industrial meteorologists". They make forecasts for industry. "Industry" consists of companies that have land-based operations potentially interrupted by weather. These would include oil refineries, specialty chemical plants, major retailers, banks, utilities, etc. Marine meteorologists handle the offshore forecasts for companies working there - companies drilling or producing oil, vessels at sea, salvage companies, etc.

An environmental meteorologist studies problems such as pollution. They issue forecasts of air quality. We used to make some ozone forecasts for the state of Louisiana, but we don't do that any more. The primary employer of environmental meteorologists would be government agencies, as there really isn't much money to be made in the private industry forecasting air quality.
gocuse22

So if I wanted to work for the NHC or NOAA making forecasts id major in Industrial ?
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

gocuse22 wrote:So if I wanted to work for the NHC or NOAA making forecasts id major in Industrial ?
I don't know if there is such a program at any college. Learn all you can in all areas of meteorology while in school. If you want to work for the NHC, then plan on getting a PhD.
  • Information