JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another weather event is ending however we have a very dangerous travel morning on the way. Stay home and be safe if you can. Its not worth the risk and safety always first.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Was talking to a couple of folks today about the last time SE Texas had seen a winter weather event with all modes of weather and such a high widespread impact event. There were significant freezing rain events in 1994 and 1996. Some mentioned 1983 and 1989 which certainly very memorable for the brutally cold long lasting impact. I honestly believe that January 1973 is the last time I remember the Houston Area being shut down due to high impact icing over a very vast Region. Certainly our population was no where near what we have today and our freeway system was substantially less, Metro Houston came to a standstill for almost 3 days as heavy snowfall covered our surface roads and freeways for at least 48 hours. I know David Paul mentioned 1989 was the last time he remembered. Perhaps some other old timers of SE Texas can chime in and post their most memorable widespread winter weather events for SE Texas.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I agree on 1973...I do wonder how this January will stack up in the coldest of Januaries
ajurcat

We were married in July, 1983. Alicia hit in August, 1983. I remember at Christmas going down to the in-law bay house between Palicios and Port Lavaca and Carancahua Bay was frozen over.
snowman65

Big snow returns in Orange now. Verga? Light flakes? real deal?[/quote]

Nothing reaching the ground here...
mckinne63

What is the status on driving in the morning? I can take surface streets and not get on I69 or the Beltway. Will probably take my car a half hour to thaw out. It is totally iced over.
mckinne63

Took me awhile to resize
Attachments
Car will take awhile to thaw out
Car will take awhile to thaw out
Car 8PM.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The last few snowflakes in League City.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 7.24.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 7.24.23 PM.png (265 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
don

One interesting thing to note is this is the 3rd time this season that the Canadian was the first Global model to sniff out a wintry precip event.Even though it lost the storm in the mid range... I will definitely be paying attention to the Canadian for the rest of the season atleast lol
mckinne63

I have just been informed by my husband that I will not be venturing out in the morning.
Kludge

1983. Really bad.

By far... in my opinion.

Because it was so under-forecasted... and so extreme. Almost no precip. But...

Just imagine out-of-town Christmas family coming to town. Power fails. Attic pipes start breaking.

I still have nightmares from that one.

All that said... I am enjoying this "storm". ;)
jasons2k

Down to 22F, steadily falling..
DoctorMu

jasons wrote:Down to 22F, steadily falling..
Down to 18°F. Could dip below 14°F...the coldest night in our 25 years here. 1989 or 1983 beat tonight. Not too many more.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

4:20 AM Travel/Weather Update from Jeff:

Travel conditions remain extremely dangerous across the region!

Temperatures have fallen into the upper teens north of I-10 and low to mid 20’s south of I-10.

Very cold temperatures have resulted in the freezing of residual water overnight both on bridges and overpasses and on surface streets. Travel continues to be nearly impossible across the region with extensive ice formation on nearly all bridges and overpasses and even many of the surface streets. Temperatures will begin to slowly once the sun rises, but will remain at or below freezing through the mid to late morning with high temperatures this afternoon rising into the mid to upper 30’s. Improvements in ice build up on area roadways is not likely until at least late morning into the early afternoon hours.

Temperatures will rapidly fall below freezing early this evening and another hard freeze (25 or below for 2 hours) is expected for much of the region again tonight. Icy patches may still exist on area bridges and overpasses and any melt water will likely refreeze again quickly this evening.

I cannot stress enough how dangerous travel conditions remain…do NOT be lulled into a false sense of security because the sun will be out this morning.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ronyan

IAH should be 19F at the next ob. First since 2011 I believe.
TxMomof2

Does Jeff's update mean that tomorrow's drive in to work could still be treacherous? :cry:
srainhoutx wrote:4:20 AM Travel/Weather Update from Jeff:

Travel conditions remain extremely dangerous across the region!

Temperatures have fallen into the upper teens north of I-10 and low to mid 20’s south of I-10.

Very cold temperatures have resulted in the freezing of residual water overnight both on bridges and overpasses and on surface streets. Travel continues to be nearly impossible across the region with extensive ice formation on nearly all bridges and overpasses and even many of the surface streets. Temperatures will begin to slowly once the sun rises, but will remain at or below freezing through the mid to late morning with high temperatures this afternoon rising into the mid to upper 30’s. Improvements in ice build up on area roadways is not likely until at least late morning into the early afternoon hours.

Temperatures will rapidly fall below freezing early this evening and another hard freeze (25 or below for 2 hours) is expected for much of the region again tonight. Icy patches may still exist on area bridges and overpasses and any melt water will likely refreeze again quickly this evening.

I cannot stress enough how dangerous travel conditions remain…do NOT be lulled into a false sense of security because the sun will be out this morning.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

IAH officially 19F at 6:53 AM. Sea level pressure is 30.88 which apparently is the highest since January10,1962. Hobby is 20F that broke its previous record of 25F in 1965. I'm sure there will be a lengthy Public Information Statement from HGX. The official snowfall at IAH was a tenth of an inch which tied the most official snowfall for January 16th in Houston back in 1953.

Hooks = 19F
My Backyard = 18F
Cleveland = 17F
Conroe =14F
College Station Easterwood = 16F
Angleton/Lake Jackson = 22F
Galveston = 25F
Ellington Field = 19F
Hunstville = 13F
Sugarland = 20F
Wharton = 19F
Brenham = 18F

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:IAH officially 19F at 6:53 AM. Sea level pressure is 30.88 which apparently is the highest since January10,1962. Hobby is 20F that broke its previous record of 25F in 1965. I'm sure there will be a lengthy Public Information Statement from HGX. The official snowfall at IAH was a tenth of an inch which tied the most official snowfall for January 16th in Houston back in 1953.

Hooks = 19F
My Backyard = 18F
Cleveland = 17F
Conroe =14F
Galveston = 25F
Ellington Field = 19F
Hunstville = 13F
Sugarland = 20F
Wharton = 19F
Brenham = 18F
Also got a minimum of 14.2 at the TAMU MESONET just outside College Station.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
cperk

srainhoutx wrote:IAH officially 19F at 6:53 AM. Sea level pressure is 30.88 which apparently is the highest since January10,1962. Hobby is 20F that broke its previous record of 25F in 1965. I'm sure there will be a lengthy Public Information Statement from HGX. The official snowfall at IAH was a tenth of an inch which tied the most official snowfall for January 16th in Houston back in 1953.

Hooks = 19F
My Backyard = 18F
Cleveland = 17F
Conroe =14F
Galveston = 25F
Ellington Field = 19F
Hunstville = 13F
Sugarland = 20F
Wharton = 19F
Brenham = 18F

Low of 19.2 per my weather station here in Richmond.
  • Information