December: New Years Eve Outlook

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TxJohn

I love the cold weather....the coldest I've experienced was 18 degrees I think back in 2011 when Houston had that big freeze....it was FUN!

I wish we had some teens or single digits...with snow to be honest. :P I love it. I know wrong place to live...but still.
TxJohn

Is this an indication of what's in store for us this winter?
jasons2k

In 2011, I had to cut down three beautiful majesty palms in my back yard. I had to get the stumps/roots out for two of them and that was a lot of work. This was after spending a few hundred bucks in wraps, outdoor heaters, and propane to save them. I saved one, at least, the biggest one. Took about two nights after work to get it all setup. Afterwards, I Had to replace a lot of shrubs too. Ran the pool pumps nonstop for about 4 days so they didn't freeze. I had to do sprinkler system repairs - even though I wrapped my backflow valve. Happened to most of my neighbors too. Yeah it was a REAL FUN BLAST!
skidog40

is that sleet on radar
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just got a report of some light freezing drizzle in Colorado County..
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morning Update from :Jeff

Arctic air mass is well in place this morning with freezing temperatures roughly from Wharton to Katy to Tomball to Conroe.

Radar indicates increasing returns moving up the coast from S TX and this is being supported by surface observations showing light rain and drizzle around Corpus and Rockport. Interestingly snow flurries have been reported over the northern part of central TX and the Hill Country this morning. Lift will be increasing today across the region as the next impulse from the WSW moves across the state. Expect drizzle and light rain to gradually increase throughout the day. Luckily the temperatures are at their lowest point currently and should rise 2-4 degrees today bringing most of the area above freezing. NW counties from roughly College Station to Huntsville may barely reach 32 today and drizzle/light rain there this afternoon could form into a thin layer of ice. Southward there will likely not be any ice accumulations as surface temperatures hover in the mid to uppe 30’s.

For tonight freeze line will move only slightly southward likely reaching a Columbus to Conroe line, so the continued light drizzle and light rain will only potentially be a problem in those areas to the NW of this line. Expect amounts to be generally less than .05 of an inch. Should not see any problems across the Houston metro area.

Cloudy and cold conditions continue into much of next week with highs likely remain below 50 for the next 3-5 days and lows in the 30’s. Bouts of rainfall will cross the area every 12-24 hours as the pattern remains nearly unchanged. Secondary surge of arctic air will arrive on Monday and help keep the area cold…but the good news is that this air does not look as cold as before and should keep the threat for winter precipitation out of the forecast.

Note: Record low maximum for today at IAH is 45 degrees and this will likely fall by several degree.  

Ice/Sleet Accumulation Reports for N TX on Friday:

LITTLE ELM                          3.50

HURST                                  2.50

LINDSAY                              2.50

DECATUR 3 SSW               2.25

DENISON                             2.00

EDEN                                     2.00

KELLER 2 E                           2.00

BLUFF DALE                        1.75

FORT WORTH                     1.50

GAINESVILLE                      1.50

OAK TRAIL SHORES          1.50

DALLAS 5 E                          1.00

Power outages continue to at least 160,000 down from 260,000 yesterday afternoon. Roads remain ice covered and travel significantly impacted. This area will not likely rise above freezing until maybe Monday with little melting until then.  
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

Getting a couple of reports of light freezing drizzle over Wharton and Colorado Counties.

Temperatures have really gone nowhere since sunrise and expect maybe only a degree or two of warming today. Locations west and NW of Harris County may not rise much if at all above freezing. With increasing radar returns to the SW and incoming lift increase drizzle and light rain can be expected this afternoon with some minor ice accumulation mainly on elevated surface NW of a line from Wharton to Katy to Conroe.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
txflagwaver

Wasn't there a long period of freezing temps in 84/85?
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

txflagwaver wrote:Wasn't there a long period of freezing temps in 84/85?
That was in 1983 and 1989.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

FoLks heading N and W of Metro Houston be careful. Reports of freezing drizzle light freezing rain increasing towards Sealy and points W on I-10 and near the Bryan/College Station to Madisonville areas. Also seeing reports near Austin and La Grange.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andrew just sent a text stating that ice is developing on cars in College Station.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

DPS has closed I-10 in Flatonia due to icing. Also HWY 71 in Bastrop/Colorada River Bridge now closed due to icing..

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Portastorm

Light freezing rain/mist coming down here in Austin with surface temperatures in the upper 20s to near 30. Some light icing is occurring around town.
skidog40

all I need is 1 sleet pellet tonight. make it happen
TxJohn

Freezing drizzle here in NW Harris County...I live around Eldridge and West Little York....I think a very very thin layer of ice is forming...the roads have this "slick" look but it's nothing treacherous because it's not much and it's such a thin layer of ice if it does form. The car looks pretty slick as well.
TxJohn

Sort of a light drizzle/mist...it's currently 37.7 degrees in my area according to weather underground. You can see it on leaves as well....it's just has this slick/shiny look if that makes sense.
Portastorm

Things here in Austin are worsening. Upper and lower decks of I-35 just shut down. Icy conditions. And really, all we have had is a light freezing drizzle/mist the last 2 hrs. That's all it takes. Be safe out there!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting reports of icing on overpasses in College Station.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

srainhoutx wrote:Getting reports of icing on overpasses in College Station.
Ice on nearly all major bridges in Brazos County per DPS
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Freezing line extends from near Wharton to Brenham to NW of Hunstville. Do not expect it to move much sothward tonight. Current Advisory area has things covered well. Freezing drizzle is about the worst type of winter precip as it produces very light accumuations and motorist do not use much caution even though bridges will have a very thin layer of ice.
  • Information