February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Mr. T

HouTXmetro wrote: And it begins, Radar near San Angelo beginning to light up. :D
That's just virga
vci_guy2003

How come all the local mets couldn't see the fact that we were moistening up, and we weren't going to get remotely close to the lower 20s that they were all forecasting? It seemed like pretty common sense to me.
HouTXmetro

[quote="Mr. T"][quote="HouTXmetro"]
And it begins, Radar near San Angelo beginning to light up. :D[/quote]
That's just virga[/quote]

Ok, Midland and Odessa are both reporting light snow right now.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. T wrote:If you're around Andrew, does the day 7 Euro show another snow event at day 7? It looks like it does...

Sorry stepped away. It does look like a possible wintry event again. It only goes out (text output) to 7 days but Next Thu has us at freezing with .37in of moisture.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
txsnowmaker

unome wrote:
txsnowmaker wrote: So this is showing banding over SE Texas beginning later tonight and going through 2 pm tomorrow (Thursday)?
no

UTC = CST -6 hrs (or CDT -5 hrs)

the last frame shows 19:00 UTC in the upper corner, so that would be 13:00 hours in military time, or 1 PM
So the graphic is depicting banding in SE Texas later this morning through 1 pm? If so, that would certainly be a very significant development.
Mr. T

HouTXmetro wrote: Ok, Midland and Odessa are both reporting light snow right now.
I actually didn't see that. I guess some of that is reaching the ground
Mr. T

Andrew wrote:
Sorry stepped away. It does look like a possible wintry event again. It only goes out (text output) to 7 days but Next Thu has us at freezing with .37in of moisture.
The 0c line is off the coast at 144, so again that cold air is in place just before the low moves across.

This could be something else to watch. The GFS is warmer but has precip across the area at the same time.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. T wrote:
Andrew wrote:
The 0c line is off the coast at 144, so again that cold air is in place just before the low moves across.

This could be something else to watch. The GFS is warmer but has precip across the area at the same time.

Yea I think that is going to be our next "event" and as usual the gfs has different ideas. We will start thinking about that later.
TxLady

We are at currently at 26.7 degrees, up here in southern Walker County. Winds are much calmer tonight. Thanks to all you on the "night crew" for keeping us up-to-date...especially us insomniacs! :)
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alright I am going to go to bed. I will try to be up around 4 or so to look over things again. Don't be surprised if the sat and radar images look different. ;)
clute28

So I'm guessing that warm nose of air isn't there now or will wet bulb soon after it gets started. And snow and sleet for the coast instead of fr right?
wxman666

TWC Doppler starting to show a band of very light snow/flurries around Bryan. Not even updated quite yet on weather.com.
Ready for severe weather season!!
wxman666

Still waiting on the HGX morning update. Forecast has been updated though. Looks like POPs lowered to 30% for this afternoon, and bumped to 80% for tonight.
wxman666

God it looks creepy outside. Andrew....somebody...I'm doing this alone here, lol! :lol: Anyhow, I imagine there'll be a big change when y'all wake up.
Mr. T

What a mess...

Today...Cloudy. A slight chance of light freezing rain...snow and sleet in the morning...then a 40 percent chance of snow and sleet in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the lower 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 8 to 18 in the morning.

Tonight...Snow...sleet and light freezing rain likely in the evening...then snow and sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation around 2 inches. Ice accumulation of less than one tenth of an inch. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent in the evening increasing to 80 percent after midnight.

Friday...Cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Snow likely in the morning...then a slight chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent in the morning decreasing to 20 percent in the afternoon. Lowest wind chill readings 12 to 22 in the morning.
Txdreamer62

so what's the morning shaping up to be? I'm a newbie to this, but it doesn't look much different from last night. We still in for a major event you thing?
wxman666

Mr. T wrote:What a mess...

Today...Cloudy. A slight chance of light freezing rain...snow and sleet in the morning...then a 40 percent chance of snow and sleet in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the lower 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 8 to 18 in the morning.

Tonight...Snow...sleet and light freezing rain likely in the evening...then snow and sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation around 2 inches. Ice accumulation of less than one tenth of an inch. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent in the evening increasing to 80 percent after midnight.

Friday...Cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Snow likely in the morning...then a slight chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent in the morning decreasing to 20 percent in the afternoon. Lowest wind chill readings 12 to 22 in the morning.

Is that Harris co.?
wxman666

Txdreamer62 wrote:so what's the morning shaping up to be? I'm a newbie to this, but it doesn't look much different from last night. We still in for a major event you thing?
Yeah, I really think we are.
Mr. T

Winter storm warning has been issued

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO NOON CST
FRIDAY...
Mr. T

wxman666 wrote:
Is that Harris co.?
Yes
  • Information