Internship available?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Snowman

I am a junior in Highschool and I am hoping that someone can possibly offer me some information about an internship. I have always been interested in the weather and I have decided I would like to study atmospheric sciences in College. I have been extremely interested in the the weather for as long as I can remember and I know I would be fulfilled by making it my profession one day. I am a straight-A, serious student and it would be a blessing to get the opportunity to work with and observe someone in an atmospheric science/weather related profession. I would appreciate any advice or help that you can give me. Thank you all so much.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

We have had interns working with us for the past year or two during the summer. Generally, they're junior or senior (college) meteorology students - someone who may be about to enter the job market in the next year and could possibly work for us. You may need to get a bit farther along in your meteorology degree (A&M has a good undergraduate program, and it's a LOT cheaper going to an in-state school).
Snowman

wxman57 wrote:We have had interns working with us for the past year or two during the summer. Generally, they're junior or senior (college) meteorology students - someone who may be about to enter the job market in the next year and could possibly work for us. You may need to get a bit farther along in your meteorology degree (A&M has a good undergraduate program, and it's a LOT cheaper going to an in-state school).

Thankyou for your input wxman! Although i do want to say that I am not looking for pay and would be very appreciative for any opportunity to just observe/help any professional!

I really want to do this because i am very interested in learning more about the profession and it would look very good to colleges if i could do an "internship."
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Snowman wrote:
wxman57 wrote:We have had interns working with us for the past year or two during the summer. Generally, they're junior or senior (college) meteorology students - someone who may be about to enter the job market in the next year and could possibly work for us. You may need to get a bit farther along in your meteorology degree (A&M has a good undergraduate program, and it's a LOT cheaper going to an in-state school).

Thank you for your input wxman! Although i do want to say that I am not looking for pay and would be very appreciative for any opportunity to just observe/help any professional!

I really want to do this because i am very interested in learning more about the profession and it would look very good to colleges if i could do an "internship."
What colleges are you looking at? I went to A&M from 1977-1980. Back then, in-state tuition was about $200 per semester. I think that the rate was about $8 per semester hour. It's quite a bit higher now, but it's still way cheaper than going out of state. I don't know how kids/parents afford college these days. Back then, I made about $170/week working construction/remodeling/painting during the summer. Could easily afford the $200/semester tuition, $300-$400 ($100/month) for renting a room at a private home during the semester, and about $150 for books.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

I also went to A&M and the meteorology they teach is not operational. It is more mathematical and analytical. Being a striaght-A student in high school is outstanding! I'm not being cynical. However, Meteorology is an extremely difficult field and the classes that A&M offers are very math intensive--using Diff EQ, Engineering mathematics (Calculus 171 and 172 for starters) and upper-level physics/chemistry. You should be well versed in math and science if you choose to tackle it. If you want more 'operational' meteorology, then I'd consider OU, Ball State or Florida.

The first thing you should ask is what type of meteorologist do you want to be? What I mean is, do you want to do television? Do you want to work for the NWS? Do you want to work for a private firm that forecasts for giant corporations? All of them have their perks. In the media, the pay stinks at first but can become extremely lucrative in the big markets, ie Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Boston, NYC, LA, Chicago..ect. For example, working for an ABC station, you get free admission to all Disney parks (being that Disney owns ABC). I just recently got a press pass to the rodeo that gets me to the box seats with free food and beer for every concert. So that's that. If you work for the NWS, it is shift work. Some nights you will be up working the overnights. Sometimes it'll be afternoons. Other times something else. The pay is decent but is caped usually in the low 100k range---and that's basically for MIC's. As for private firms, I'm sure Wxman could give you a brief rundown. I am not familiar.

Second thing is, are you willing to move? If you are a Texas boy that could never imagine leaving, then you may want to consider another career. The weather field is very small and everybody knows everybody. Often times, there is not a job available in your city....or the city, like Houston, is far too big for beginners to be considered---especially for tv weather. You must be willing to move. Often times positions at the NWS are occupied until for long stretches of time and vacancies are rare.

Third, if you want to work at the NWS, often times the first candidates they consider are the ones who have been skeps. That means they interned for them in years past. However, I think you must be a Jr. in college for them to consider you. I am not sure about that though. If you want to be in TV, you must network. TV is a very small business as well and often times it is not what you know but who you know. I think it works that way in a lot of fields.

Fourth, prepare to be poor for the first few years. The job does not pay that well in the beginning. Knowledge is power and experience is golden. Be willing to work for a few bucks an hour on Christmas. You won't be doing it forever, but jump if the opportunity arises.

I hope this helps. The above has been my experiences.

BTW Wxman, tuition at A&M is now $4,800 per semester for 15 hours. That does not include housing or sports passes or Rec Center fees or parking passes or food. LOL. In the 5 years that I was there, I ran up a debt of over $50,000 bucks. However, all my friends did as well. Now we're all miserable together. LOL.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just 15 hours? I always took 18-20 hours per semester. I owed nothing when I got out of school.

Private industry jobs will almost certainly require shift work. We work a rotating 6-on, 4-off. 2 days, 2 swings 2 nights, followed by 4 days off (including the day when you get off the night shift). Plan on working most holidays and weekends. Weather's a 24/7 job in private industry and with the NWS, and guess who gets the worst hours? The one with the least seniority.

Starting pay can be very good if you have a masters or doctorate ($50k-60k range). No experience and a BS might get you $30k. Fortunately, there are quite a few meteorological jobs right here in Houston if you want to remain here. We employ about 70 here in Houston. There are about 4-5 other weather companies around Houston. Some just do aviation-related weather.

Ditto on the heavy math/science workload in college. Our 1980 class may have started out with about 50-60 freshman/sophomore students but we were down to 8 at graduation. Almost all dropped out because of the heavy math/physics workload.

In general, you won't find too much in the way of operational forecasting courses in school. That's something you need to learn once you get a job. A big part of our service is providing wind/wave/swell forecasts for clients offshore, something that's not taught at all in school.
Snowman

Thank you all so much for your input. I am definitely applying to a&m for their atmospheric science program but the school at the top of my list is Cornell. At the point I would be most interested in forecasting for a tv station. That seems like it would be fun. Overall though do you all love your jobs and have fun with it? I realize it may be hard in the beginning but I hope to work my way up with time. And also is there anyway I could observe any of you on the job this summer?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snowman wrote:Thankyou all so much for your input. I am definetly applying to a&m for their atmospheric science program but the school at the top of my list is Cornell. At the point I would be most interested in forecasting for a tv station. That seems like it would be fun. Overall though do you all love your jobs and have fun with it? I realize it may be hard in the beggining but I hope to work my way up with time. And also is there anyway I could observe any of you on the job this summer?

Snowman, I am in a similar situation. I am currently a senior in HS and got accepted to Texas A&M's Geoscience and Meteorology. I have done a lot of research on this career path and what Candy Cane and Wxman said is correct. Another thing that I have heard from many mets is the need for a Computer Science degree. One Met. I talked to said I should do a double major in Computer Science and Meteorology to expand my chances. Both of these Major's require huge amounts of math and if you take Calc. next year (or already have) you will soon realize if you are a fit or not for the field. I will be going to A&M next year but I am not certain what department/Major I will be taking. If you do decide to go to A&M let me know and I will try and let you know how I like it. One thing I hope though is the Economy improves soon enough. :lol:
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I actually interviewed for a TV job at KLFY Ch. 10 in Lafayette, LA right out of college. They offered about $800/month back in 1980. I was hoping for $1000/mo. Told them I'd think about it for a day or two. Got another call from a fellow graduate of the class of '80 saying he had a job for me at a private company here in Houston. They needed on-site meteorologists aboard an oil rig off the southern tip of South America. I'd always said I wanted to stay down SOUTH where it's warm, but not that far south! Ended up taking the job, though.

TV might be interesting and fun. From what I've observed, it's not the most stable job. New management at a station often means new anchors and weatherman. But if you're single you can move around until you find the right station/city. One of my classmates, Greg Bostwick, has been over at that Beaumont station for decades.

You might be able to stop by our office this summer. We even have a green room where we record videos, just like at a TV studio.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:I actually interviewed for a TV job at KLFY Ch. 10 in Lafayette, LA right out of college. They offered about $800/month back in 1980. I was hoping for $1000/mo. Told them I'd think about it for a day or two. Got another call from a fellow graduate of the class of '80 saying he had a job for me at a private company here in Houston. They needed on-site meteorologists aboard an oil rig off the southern tip of South America. I'd always said I wanted to stay down SOUTH where it's warm, but not that far south! Ended up taking the job, though.

TV might be interesting and fun. From what I've observed, it's not the most stable job. New management at a station often means new anchors and weatherman. But if you're single you can move around until you find the right station/city. One of my classmates, Greg Bostwick, has been over at that Beaumont station for decades.

You might be able to stop by our office this summer. We even have a green room where we record videos, just like at a TV studio.

Yea, I have heard the same about TV Jobs. There is a lot of politics that has to be played and ratings is what makes or breaks you.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Andrew wrote: Snowman, I am in a similar situation. I am currently a senior in HS and got accepted to Texas A&M's Geoscience and Meteorology. I have done a lot of research on this career path and what Candy Cane and Wxman said is correct. Another thing that I have heard from many mets is the need for a Computer Science degree. One Met. I talked to said I should do a double major in Computer Science and Meteorology to expand my chances. Both of these Major's require huge amounts of math and if you take Calc. next year (or already have) you will soon realize if you are a fit or not for the field. I will be going to A&M next year but I am not certain what department/Major I will be taking. If you do decide to go to A&M let me know and I will try and let you know how I like it. One thing I hope though is the Economy improves soon enough. :lol:
As someone who is active in the hiring process at our company, I can tell you that when we get a resume from someone we definitely check to see if he/she has any computer programming experience. That would put him/her atop the interview list. It's a BIG plus. Our programming department has several meteorologists. It's easier for them to comprehend what the operations department is trying to develop.

Maybe you should stop by our office to see what a private industry meteorologist does, too.
Snowman

wxman57 wrote:
Andrew wrote: Snowman, I am in a similar situation. I am currently a senior in HS and got accepted to Texas A&M's Geoscience and Meteorology. I have done a lot of research on this career path and what Candy Cane and Wxman said is correct. Another thing that I have heard from many mets is the need for a Computer Science degree. One Met. I talked to said I should do a double major in Computer Science and Meteorology to expand my chances. Both of these Major's require huge amounts of math and if you take Calc. next year (or already have) you will soon realize if you are a fit or not for the field. I will be going to A&M next year but I am not certain what department/Major I will be taking. If you do decide to go to A&M let me know and I will try and let you know how I like it. One thing I hope though is the Economy improves soon enough. :lol:
As someone who is active in the hiring process at our company, I can tell you that when we get a resume from someone we definitely check to see if he/she has any computer programming experience. That would put him/her atop the interview list. It's a BIG plus. Our programming department has several meteorologists. It's easier for them to comprehend what the operations department is trying to develop.

Maybe you should stop by our office to see what a private industry meteorologist does, too.

Can i stop by the office too Wxman? It would be great to see for myself what the job is like.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:

I will for sure stop by sounds like a good opportunity and defiantly a chance to check everything out.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

While we're on the subject, I'm going to be attending Texas Tech next fall. I got accepted into the College of Arts and Sciences. With a planned major in geonsciences and minor in atmospheric sciences. I expressed what I wanted to do (become a meteorologist) to the regional admissions counselor and these are the courses that he suggested, but to me it doesn't sound right. Does anyone have any knowledge about what courses need to be taken to "become a meteorologist"?
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Here's a list of all the meteorology courses offered at A&M. For meteorology majors, you will be required to take most of these...

Information about ATMO 201: Atmospheric Science
ATMO 201 Sections

ATMO 202: Atmospheric Science Lab Sections
Practical laboratory experiments and exercises, conducted by students in the meteorology and computer laboratories, concerning the fundamental physical processes underlying atmospheric phenomena, and the collection, display and interpretation of meteorological information. For non-majors only. Prerequisite: Concurrent enrollment in ATMO 201.
ATMO 202 exercises
ATMO 203: Weather Forecasting Lab
Short-range weather forecasting practice; numerical guidance; weather map analysis and discussions. Prerequisite: Concurrent enrollment in ATMO 201.
ATMO 251: Weather Observation and Analysis
Standard and experimental weather observing techniques; subjective and objective analysis; application of conceptual models; simple kinematic and dynamic constraints. Prerequisite: ATMO 203 or registration therein
ATMO 285: Directed Studies
Offered to enable majors in meteorology to undertake and complete with credit in their particular fields of specialization limited investigations not covered by any other courses in established curriculum. Prerequisite: Freshman or sophomore classification.
ATMO 291: Undergraduate Research
Research conducted under the direction of faculty member in atmospheric sciences. May be repeated 2 times for credit. Registration in multiple sections of this course is possible within a given semester provided that the per semester credit hour limit is not exceeded. Prerequisites: Freshman or sophomore classification and approval of instructor.
ATMO 321: Computer Applications in the Atmospheric Sciences
Introduction to technical computing methods in the atmospheric sciences. Students learn to use specialized software and data analysis systems for meteorological applications.
ATMO 324: Physical and Regional Climatology
Climate causes; global and surface energy balance; hydrologic cycle; general circulation; climate change; climate data analysis. Prerequisites: ATMO 201 and 203; MATH 172; course that satisfies departmental computer science requirement.
ATMO 335: Introduction to Atmospheric Thermodynamics
Application of thermodynamics to Earth’s atmosphere; phase changes of water; stability concepts; introduction to physical chemistry. Prerequisites: CHEM 102; MATH 251; PHYS 218.
ATMO 336: Atmospheric Dynamics
Kinematic concepts and relationships; equations of motion; geostrophic and accelerated motions; the vorticity equation and Rossby waves. Prerequisites: ATMO 335, MATH 311 or registration therein.
ATMO 352 (501 and 502): Severe Weather and Mesoscale Forecasting
Parcel theory for dry and moist convection; sounding diagrams and their application to atmospheric convection; organization of midlatitude convection and severe weather; thunderstorm forecasting. Prerequisite: MATH 172 (not formally required but strongly recommended).
ATMO 363: Intro to Atmospheric Chemistry and Air Pollution
Descriptive introduction of the composition and chemistry of natural and pollutant compounds in the atmosphere; transport, cycling and reactivity of atmospheric material; atmospheric measurements, data processing, air quality and human health issues; air pollution trends and climate change. Prerequisites: CHEM 101 and 102 or approval of instructor.
ATMO 435: Synoptic-Dynamic Meteorology
Dynamics and diagnosis of synoptic-scale systems; perturbation theory and baroclinic instability; wave energetics, frontogenises. Prerequisite: ATMO 336 or equivalent
ATMO 441: Satellite Meteorology and Remote Sensing
Introduction to satellite orbit dynamics, atmospheric radiative transfer, atmospheric remote sensing methods, and analysis and application of remotely-sensed meteorological data. Prerequisites: ATMO 324, MATH 308; junior or senior classification.
ATMO 443: Radar Meteorology
Principles of radar theory, hardware, operations and analysis using real-time radar and computer-based case studies; conventional, Doppler and polarimetric weather radar; precipitation estimation, hydrometeor identification and air motion analysis; observations and analyses of thunderstorms, mesocyclones, tornadoes and gust fronts. Prerequisites: PHYS 208 or 219; ATMO 352.
ATMO 446: Physical Meteorology
Physics and meteorology of clouds and precipitation; atmospheric electricity; radiative transfer. Prerequisite: ATMO 335.
ATMO 455: Numerical Weather Prediction
Basic principles of computer models of the atmosphere; parameterizations; use and critical evaluation of models and model output. Prerequisites: MATH 308; ATMO 336 or registration therein.
ATMO 456: Practical Weather Forecasting
Advanced weather forecasting techniques with application to a variety of forecasting problems, both public and private sector. Prerequisites: ATMO 336 or 455; junior or senior classification.
ATMO 459: Tropical Meteorology
Tropical climatology; structure, evolution, and motion of tropical cyclones; tropical cyclone hazards; large-scale tropical phenomena. Prerequisites: ATMO 336; ATMO 352 or registration therein.
ATMO 461: Broadcast Meteorology
Instruction in the practice of broadcast meteorology; practice in and preparation of weather forecast products and demonstration videotapes. Prerequisites: ATMO 455 or approval of instructor; senior classification.
ATMO 463: Air Pollution Meteorology
Problems of air pollution in our global atmosphere; environmental cycles; waste products in the biosphere; atmospheric pollution; natural concentrations of atmospheric constituents; pollution sources; atmospheric transport; pollution sinks; effects of pollution; monitoring and surveillance; and management of air quality. Prerequisite: ATMO 335 or approval of instructor
ATMO 464/689: Laboratoroy Methods in Atmospheric Sciences
Instruction in chemical techniques used to monitor the atmosphere and other earth systems; sampling strategies; survey of current literature focusing on development of new techniques. Prerequisites: CHEM 101 and one semester of calculus (MATH 171 or equivalent).
ATMO 485: Directed Studies
Offered to enable majors in meteorology to undertake and complete with credit in their particular fields of specialization limited investigations not covered by any other courses in established curriculum. Prerequisite: Junior or senior classification.
ATMO 491: Undergraduate Research
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Here is the undergraduate course cirriculum that is **required** to receive a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology:

FRESHMAN YEAR
First Semester (Th-Pr) Cr Second Semester (Th-Pr) Cr
ATMO 201 Atmospheric Sciences (3-0) 3 CHEM 102 Fund. of Chemistry II (3-0) 3
ATMO 203 Weather Forecasting Lab. (0-1) 1 CHEM 112 Fund. of Chemistry II Lab. (0-3) 1
CHEM 101 Fund. of Chemistry I (3-0) 3 MATH 172 Calculus 1 (4-0) 4
CHEM 111 Fund. of Chemistry I Lab. (0-3) 1 PHYS 218 Mechanics (3-3) 4
ENGL 104 Comp. and Rhetoric (3-0) 3 U.S. history elective 2 3
MATH 171 Analytical Geom. and Calc. 1 (4-0) 4 15
SOPHOMORE YEAR
ATMO 251 Weather Obs. and Analysis (2-2) 3 ATMO 335 Atmospheric Thermodynamics (3-0) 3
ATMO 363 Atmospheric Chemistry (3-0) 3 MATH 308 Differential Equations 1 (3-0) 3
MATH 251 Engineering Math. III 1 (3-0) 3 PHYS 221 Optics and Thermal Physics (3-0) 3
PHYS 208 Electricity and Optics (3-3) 4 POLS 206 American Natl. Govt. (3-0) 3
U.S. history elective 2 3 Computer science elective 3 3
16 * KINE 198 Health and Fitness Activity (0-2) 1
JUNIOR YEAR
ATMO 324 Physical and Regional Climatology (2-2) 3 POLS 207 State and Local Govt. (3-0) 3
MATH 311 Topics in Applied Math. I (3-0) 3 Atmospheric sciences or technical electives 5 6
STAT 211 Principles of Stat. I (3-0) 3 Communication elective 7 3
Life sciences elective 4 3 Humanities elective 2 3
General elective 8 3 Oceanography elective 6 3
* KINE 199 Required Physical Activity (0-2) 1 18
SENIOR YEAR
ATMO 336 Atmospheric Dynamics (3-2) 4 ATMO 446 Physical Meteorology (3-0) 3
Atmospheric sciences or technical electives 5 6 Atmospheric sciences or technical electives 5 6
Visual and performing arts elective 2 3 Social and behavioral sciences elective 2 3
General elective 8 3 General electives 8 4
16 16

total hours
NOTES:
A grade of C or better is required for Meteorology majors in MATH 171, 172, 251 and 308 (or equivalent).
To be selected from the University Core Curriculum. See 5B. U.S. History and Political Science.
Computer science course must include programming in a high-level computer language.
RENR 205, BIOL 111, BIOL 101, FRSC 302 or BIOL 107.
Atmospheric sciences and technical electives are selected with approval of the department and typically include a course in speech communication.
Any 400-level course in Oceanography.
ENGL 210, 301 or, with approval of the department, any University Core Curriculum communication course. See University Core Curriculum.
Not permitted as general electives are remedial courses, military courses, STLC/SLCX/DEVS, courses that are prerequisites or equivalents of required courses, or KINE 199.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for that CC. I am hoping with some International Baccalaureates and AP classes I will be able to get about 12 hours or so of my freshmen year done with before college begins. That should help a lot.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

I will add my 2 cents into the mix and echo some of what has already been said.

I graduated from A&M in 2004 with a BS in meteorology. As has been stated it is not much on the operational side of things...more theory and math and at times when you are learning it, it is hard to see how they go together. There was a lot of discussion about this when I was finishing up at A&M and they have made some changes to their course loads and requirements to support more operational things. It is very heavy in math and science and as stated before most of the folks you start with you will not end with...the math is just too much. We started with about 110 my freshman year and around 25 actually graduated with a met degree. If you can get past the math and the met dynamics the rest is fairly easy. One way you can get around some of the math is take it at community college..but make sure you do learn it as you will need it in your met dynamics classes.

As far as jobs go, it is a small field which can make it difficult to obtain a job. I interned starting my senior year in high school at KHOU in Houston and did that for 2 years. My second year is when TS Allison assaulted the area and that event opened other doors.

The NWS has its set of issues (my biggest) being the shift work and its rotation. While the pay is decent you can become capped quickly with little to no room for advancement until someone above you leaves and yes you have to get your foot in the door (skep) to really have much of a shot. There is also the daily "grind" at the NWS...you do the same tasks each day and due to the shift work you only work with a few people so hopefully you get along with them.

I do not know much about the private industry side of things, from what I have gathered it is born out of the need for more details for specific locations that what the NWS provides. Most of it is in the aviation and oil/gas fields and while you can make a lot of money those jobs tend to be more unstable and when times get tough the met is usually the first to go especially in oil/gas. It is also more high stressed as the company demands exact answers and not so much the probabilities and possibilities that meteorology is famous for.

I interned 2 years at a TV station here in Houston and know several of the mets on TV here. It is probably the most cut throat of any of the met jobs and sort of unstable also. It is not what you know, but how you can describe it to the public (how much you are liked). However, it becomes clear during significant weather events who knows what and if they have the school/knowledge to back it up when they are required to fill hours of air time. Turn over is fairly high especially on the anchor side of things and and in the newsroom and when ratings depend on the "newscast" sometimes you can get caught up in changes you have no control over.

Another market which has recently opened up in within local govt, state govt and water control districts. For various reasons these agencies like to have a met on staff to offer guidance during active weather. This is my job and I was surprised how many mets there are at other mainly water control type agencies across the US. It is a highly stable job and comes with a lot of flexibility, the pay is usually low to start out and highly dependent on your location. One downfall is that when the weather is not bad you are required to do non weather related tasks...I run the Harris County ALERT network and our entire flood operations program and that takes a lot of time as well as our public information on hurricanes and flooding. You can also get drug into other things that are more removed from the field...sometimes they are interesting though.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

So do any ya'll work with/ know any meteorologists that wen to Tech?
cajun

Another board that I participate in has a fifteen year old member who is interning at Channel 8 in New Orleans - his screen name is Dylan. He might could shed some light into internships for High Schoolers. Here's his profile at GulfCoastWeather .com:

http://www.gulfcoastwx.com/ipb/index.ph ... howuser=15

Cajun
  • Information