February Ends Warm and Dry

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
clute28

Is anyone really ready to do this all over again..be it only 5 days away this time..I guess put on another pot of coffee and saddle up for a week of guessing
sambucol

clute28 wrote:Is anyone really ready to do this all over again..be it only 5 days away this time..I guess put on another pot of coffee and saddle up for a week of guessing
Heck, yeah!!! :D
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

clute28 wrote:Is anyone really ready to do this all over again..be it only 5 days away this time..I guess put on another pot of coffee and saddle up for a week of guessing

I think we learned a lot from this last run and as a result we will be better prepared. But yes here we go again. :|
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
ticka1

Ptarmigan wrote:From from Srain posted, if this was to materialize we could see another winter weather event.
what days we looking at per the model runs for the winter weather if it was to happen.
don

12z Euro shows a decent amount of precip over Houston half an inch (qpf) problem is that half of it falls with temps above freezing at all levels including the surface,but it does show 12z Thursday surface temps getting right around the freezing mark (0.1 C) with .16 qpf.Could get a bit icy again...
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

12Z GFS Ensembles 'hinting' at wintry weather chances yet again mid next week...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
clute28

Well it sounds like were ready (and tired) but...lets go get it boys..and ladies
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pacific Winter RECON Missions are tasked for next weeks event as well...

II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS
1.NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: TWO POSSIBLE TRACKS:
A. P28/ 35.0N 150.0W/ 06/1200Z
B. P76/ 37.ON 169.3E/ 06/1200Z.

NOUS42 KNHC 041815
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
0115 PM EST FRI 04 FEBRUARY 2011
SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)
VALID 05/1100Z TO 06/1100Z FEBRUARY 2011
WSPOD NUMBER.....10-066

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE

II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS
1. FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 73
A. P28/ 35.0N 150.0W/ 06/1200Z
B. AFXXX 16WSC TRACK28
C. 06/0515Z
D. 19 DROPS AS PUBLISHED
E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 06/1800Z

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: POSSIBLE TRACK;
A. P27/ 35.5N 156.0W/ 07/1200Z
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
redneckweather

I'm gonna have to watch this one closer than this last one since I will be traveling Wednesday afternoon all the way to the deep Hill Country (Leakey, TX).
ronyan

Wow, the sun is back! Thawing out nicely here with the temp finally getting above 32. 32.3 F currently.
perk

I'm grateful we're only 5 days out on this potential event. It seemed we discussed the current event for an eternity or over 360 pages. I think that took a toll on this forum, and caused some tension toward the end of the event. We will have the Super Bowl as a welcome distraction to at least give us a day off and enjoy our Sunday and i recommend we all do just that. Then we can dive back in Monday. :D
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

GFS suggests another 36hr period of near or well below freezing from next Tuesday night to noon Thursday. GFS has our temps in the low 20s next Thu. Euro is very similar with 2m temps 23-24 deg. GFS does indicate some precip in the cold air, but I think it's clear that we can't tell what kind of precip (freezing rain, sleet or snow) from a few hours out much less 5 days out (in close situations).

Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yep. Ready for another roll of the weather dice. Onward to the potential Winter weather/Arcticblast threat for next week :P
JulieC

sambucol wrote:Well, since David Paul mentioned sleet on his forecast today, does it look like we could get some snow from this next Arctic air this time?

If anyone says snow for next week, I'm not believing it. :cry:

Although, out of all the weather folks on tv in Houston, he is the one I am most likely to believe. He is the best in Houston in my opinion.
Last edited by JulieC on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helloitsb

can't believe we are going to be doing this again, for some reason I can't get excited but lets see how this transforms, can anyone tell me what the models looked like before they started agreeing on last night and today? Our outcome didn't end up the same as the forecast but it would be nice to know, maybe this one really could turn to something
wxman666

I am going to be tracking this one with you guys this week. Can I get some opinions from some experienced members or pro mets? With this past ice storm that hit today, and another possible winter storm event on wednesday, with temps below freezing possible ahead of the front...will this basically just cripple us even more? I am wondering if things will get worse (I mean seriously, sand trucks sliding and flipping over on I-10!?) or if it will be a reduced severity if warming occurs before the next storm. Thanks.
Ready for severe weather season!!
vbhoutex

Looks like our melting is over for today. Cloudy and 26.4f here at the house and no more drips from the roofs or trees. Wxman you just made my day!!! NOT!!!!
helloitsb

wxman666 wrote:I am going to be tracking this one with you guys this week. Can I get some opinions from some experienced members or pro mets? With this past ice storm that hit today, and another possible winter storm event on wednesday, with temps below freezing possible ahead of the front...will this basically just cripple us even more? I am wondering if things will get worse (I mean seriously, sand trucks sliding and flipping over on I-10!?) or if it will be a reduced severity if warming occurs before the next storm. Thanks.
oh yeah, I was going to ask earlier before I took a nap, can one of the mets explain what went wrong with this system? The track of the ULL and stuff, I think it would help me learn thanks :)
JulieC

[quote="helloitsb"] for some reason I can't get excited...

Me neither. I hate disappointment. :cry: Now I had to have a day off from school, which is pointless with ice and no snow. Katy ISD has already said there is a makeup day that will ruin the four day weekend we orignally had on the Katy schedule. Is there anything good about this because I can't think of anything. GRRRR
sambucol

Katy ISD has already said there is a makeup day that will ruin the four day weekend we orignally had on the Katy schedule. Is there anything good about this because I can't think of anything. GRRRR
Thankfully, we didn't put kids in buses on icy roads this morning. That could have been tragic, and avoiding a potential tragedy, especially when children are involved, is worth having to make up a school day.
Last edited by sambucol on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • Information