February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
djmike

Going to bed....stayed up for the midnight fun, but now mets here are saying not until 3am at the earliest. Can't stay awake that long...will pray for the BLUE in SETX!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

txsnowmaker wrote:Anyone have any news on the track of the ULL?
It still looks to be heading east to me which as a result should increase snow precip for us.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
helloitsb

Jeff, do you think this drizzle would eventually turn to snow?
redneckweather

Nevermind, Drizzle has picked back up and is starting to glaze my patio table and furniture.
txsnowmaker

Andrew wrote:
It still looks to be heading east to me which as a result should increase snow precip for us.

Thanks Andrew. What do you think about timing for arrival in the Houston area?
vci_guy2003

Drizzle here in midtown/montrose.. just barely starting to freeze on the surface.
relic57

Andrew wrote:

http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/products/wx ... 0mbwv.html
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

txsnowmaker wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Thanks Andrew. What do you think about timing for arrival in the Houston area?

If it heads east more than ENE through the next couple of hours I would say around 5am we will see our best stuff.
clute28

Just wondering...is there a reason why no rain/moisture is making it farther down intro brazoria county..maybe it just dosentlike me? 8-)
txsnowmaker

If it heads east more than ENE through the next couple of hours I would say around 5am we will see our best stuff.[/quote]

Got it. Very helpful insight.
Mr. T

txsnowmaker wrote:We may have a serious ice issue in the heart of Houston tomorrow morning if this keeps up.
I'm getting very concerened about all of this freezing drizzle rather than a snow event
helloitsb

how long do we think it would be with this drizzle until it started freezing the streets?
HouTXmetro

Just drizzle here near the medical center/reliant park area. I see no indication of anything frozen falling or on the ground. Just wet.
cisa

I haven't seen a drop in Porter. Are we just in the donut hole or is it still coming our way?
No rain, no rainbows.
mattpetre

HouTXmetro wrote:Just drizzle here near the medical center/reliant park area. I see no indication of anything frozen falling or on the ground. Just wet.
That's the way it appeared at first in Stafford too, but now it's sticking to cars, trees, grass and just beginning a little on the concrete... not liking the look of things.
spadilly

light rain in the memorial area. cars now have a thin sheet of ice on them.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Ice on US 290 at West Rd and Badtke (3 accidents)
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

Currently HGX radar showing a lot of light returns signifying some freezing rain/drizzle along with the occasional snow flake, especially just west and northwest of the metro area. The latest RUC mesoanalysis and model soundings show some what of a warm layer around 850 across eastern sections of the region with Harris county the battle ground between what looks to be mainly freezing rain and a mix of freezing rain, sleet, and snow out west. Should see better chances for snow after midnight as colder temps spread in from the west in association with the upper low. Also, the region is just now starting to come under the RRQ of a 100kt+ upper level jet core which will help increase lift over the region.

Just based on reports, it looks like light snow is occurring with dbz values at or above 25dbz.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

svrwx0503 wrote:Currently HGX radar showing a lot of light returns signifying some freezing rain/drizzle along with the occasional snow flake, especially just west and northwest of the metro area. The latest RUC mesoanalysis and model soundings show some what of a warm layer around 850 across eastern sections of the region with Harris county the battle ground between what looks to be mainly freezing rain and a mix of freezing rain, sleet, and snow out west. Should see better chances for snow after midnight as colder temps spread in from the west in association with the upper low. Also, the region is just now starting to come under the RRQ of a 100kt+ upper level jet core which will help increase lift over the region.

Just based on reports, it looks like light snow is occurring with dbz values at or above 25dbz.

Hey svrwx what do you think about later tonight as far as the ULL tracking farther east and not ENE? Also do you see snow accumulations in the morning?
Rich

Getting a nice glaze here over vehicles and sidewalks here in Pearland. Pretty moderate freezing rain.
  • Information