Freeze Preparation Suggestions

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

txflagwaver wrote:For plants, Christmas lights work great, especially the net type...put them around and over the plants then cover...but don't cover with plastic. The lights can be wrapped around outside pipes as wel...looks funny but it works!
Good tip, but don't use the new LED lights for this, as they don't give off much heat. Use the older bulb-type lights.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Good news. It doesn't appear as though we'll see a major pipe-busting freeze this coming week. But one thing I thought of that isn't mention in Andrew's post above is the pipes in your attic. We don't have basements here, our water pipes run through our attics, generally along/through the floor joists. Sometimes they're run above the floor joists and above your insulation. If so, then it may help to cover the pipes with a blanket of fiberglass (or other type of insulation) so that they stay warmer. Mine were above the rockwool insulation in my older house. I covered them up with more insulation.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

If models continue to trend colder with Tuesday's front, everyone may want to stock up on some soem "cold weather goods"!

Here's a link to the FEMA website for suggestions on how to protect your home... (may have already been linked on another page, but thought I'd bump it)

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/winter/wi_before.shtm
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since it is becoming a bit more likely that we may see some very cold weather that requires preparations for your homes and property and after having a discussion with wxman57, we are going to bump this Topic and sticky it so folks can add to the recommendations. Please keep the weather discussions in the December Topic and we will devote this one to winterizing your property and plants.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
unome

if you save bubble wrap from packages, it makes great insulation. You can also buy rolls of it & cut it to size for windows, either on the inside of your home or between the glass & the screen

http://youtu.be/6cvMDH9Y06A
  • Information