Chicago Area Weather Wknd of 18/19th

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
djjordan

Hey everyone,

I am driving to Chicago from here during that timeframe .... noticed an arctic air mass in place early next week in that neck of the woods ..... but could some of you peer at the long range models and tell me what the Chicago area may be experiencing weatherwise during that timeframe? I figured since there isn't much action down here .... y'all might need something to do LOL.
Also, while you're looking at the Chicago area .... curious what any Long Term Models are saying for that same area on the 27th -28th of Dec. as well.

Much appreciated.
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My wife is flying to Chicago on the 16th and coming home the 20th, so I've been keeping an eye on the weather for her. Euro certainly indicates great weather for a drive to Chicago, with high pressure dominating. However, Canadian and GFS indicate some sort of southern stream disturbance that may cause a bit of precip across Oklahoma/Arkansas around that time. Nothing major, though. Could be a lot worse for a drive to Chicago this time of year. Keep reminding me and I'll update you as we get closer to the date.
djjordan

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks. I'll ask again next week as we get closer to the drive. Hope your wife has a safe trip :)
Kludge

Ed Mahmoud wrote:I spent an abnormally warm Winter, back when I worked for Ronal Reagan, just North of Chicago, near Waukegan, in 1982-1983.
Ed...I finally figured out where I know you from....! You're that dude in the Dos Equis commercials!

I've been very impressed by how interesting you are, and now I realize that you're 'the most interesting man in the world'! Navy service, Gulf of Mexico work, Ronal (sic) Reagan... you're the man!!! :D

By your postings I would have assumed you to be a genius...but then you had to go and admit that UT alum thing.... :? Oh well....

But seriously bud... 60% of the reason I follow this forum is to see your posts. Very intuitive and entertaining. Moreso than the Dos Equis guy. Please keep it coming.

I think we're about the same age... but you appear to have lived 3x the life I have. I hope there's a KHOU weather forum kegger some day so that I can see if the posters on this group match my mental image of them.

"Stay Snow-thirsty, My Friends" :mrgreen:
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Weather looks great for your drive. High pressure along the entire route by Saturday. Maybe a few lingering clouds in east Texas at the start. Nothing significant along the way to Chicago.
djjordan

Thanks .... now .... how about the drive back?? That is going to happen on December 27th - 28th. Anyone see anything in the models during that time period?
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

djjordan wrote:Thanks .... now .... how about the drive back?? That is going to happen on December 27th - 28th. Anyone see anything in the models during that time period?
Somewhere between sunny and cool (GFS) and a big Central Plains to Midwest snow storm (ECMWF). Check back around Christmas.
djjordan

wxman57 wrote:
djjordan wrote:Thanks .... now .... how about the drive back?? That is going to happen on December 27th - 28th. Anyone see anything in the models during that time period?
Somewhere between sunny and cool (GFS) and a big Central Plains to Midwest snow storm (ECMWF). Check back around Christmas.

Now that sounds like fun!!!!! Ha ha
djjordan

Update: .... I did take that drive to Chicago .... Almost a perfect dry smooth trip until I got past St. Louis. There was a band of snow that developed from east of St. Louis to Springfield that dropped 1-3 inches of snow in a short period. Roads quickly became snow covered and slippery. As quick as it happened ... I was out of it and continued on my way to Chicago.
Once in Chicago .... It was .... Ccccoooolllldddd ..... Ended up being 7 above when I woke up the next morning. Brrrrr.

Now I am in California for the week .... It's rainy and cold here ..... heading back to Chicago on the 27th -28th. I'll be driving back from Chicago in that timeframe.

How's the heatwave in Houston??? LOL
  • Information