July 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:23 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:08 am And if we were a serious society, we wouldn’t be discussing solar/wind vs fossil fuels. We would be full nuclear with supplemental Nat gas.
This is spot on. Windmills and solar farms are an environmental catastrophe that’s not publicized nearly enough (gee - wonder why).

I am cautiously optimistic about fusion and some of the recent developments in quantum physics.

While we’re at it, can we create a rain machine too?
Allegedly, Texas still seeds clouds. I wish it worked reliably!

There's a lot of disinformation re: windmills - literally the bird stuff is a canard. More birds die each year flying into houses and barns.

Solar farms are improving as well as disposability. I am confident we can improve these technologies to more than competitive levels.

I'd agree that in 20-30 years the majority of power plant energy produced should be through fusion.
MontgomeryCoWx

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:08 am And if we were a serious society, we wouldn’t be discussing solar/wind vs fossil fuels. We would be full nuclear with supplemental Nat gas.
This is spot on. Windmills and solar farms are an environmental catastrophe that’s not publicized nearly enough (gee - wonder why).

I am cautiously optimistic about fusion and some of the recent developments in quantum physics.

If y'all allowed me to be in charge of the rain machine, you all would probably end up hating me.... hahahahaha.

It would rain from May until Football started in September.
Team #NeverSummer
user:null

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:17 pmIf y'all allowed me to be in charge of the rain machine, you all would probably end up hating me.... hahahahaha.

Not me. In fact, I'd take it a step further: The FEETS of rain that Indian subcontinent gets during their SW monsoon season would be the goal.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:17 pm

If y'all allowed me to be in charge of the rain machine, you all would probably end up hating me.... hahahahaha.

My daughter used to wonder why I wanted it cloudy and rainy all summer.

After last summer and this summer, she's finally raised the white flag! :lol:
Cromagnum

jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:01 am Also FWIW I don’t trust any “opinions” on climate change coming from anyone in the Oil and Gas industry. That may not be a popular opinion in Houston, but you know the old saying “follow the money”

I think I would rather trust a bunch of underpaid scientists doing their life’s passion versus overpaid spokespeople on a PR mission to convince the public to keep buying their products. 🤷‍♂️

💰💰💰
Pretty broad brush stroke to paint all oil & gas folks as not knowing anything about the environment and only caring about money. I used to work on CO2 capture projects in my old group (they still do this) and my entire portfolio of research right now is on eliminating substances of concern, safer chemistries, and post consumer recycling. My company is even investing a ton into nuclear power to minimize carbon footprint for electrical needs to power their own facilities.
Last edited by Cromagnum on Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
869MB

user:null wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:55 pm
Rip76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 am Just depressing
- Lindner
Sometimes, I do think the models overextend patterns/have biases. The +PDO/El Nino base states are supposedly already coming in based on what the S2K guys state: if that really is true, the the depictions of stuck ridging over Texas cannot be accurate.
If you’re referring to my posts over there, keep in mind it will take some time for the ocean/atmosphere to respond in our favor accordingly to a +PDO because we are talking about large, macro scale processes that many well educated meteorologists/climatologists still are trying to understand even today. Yes certain Oscillations like the PDO have a tendency to yield certain weather outcomes for certain regions around the globe. But keep in mind the PDO is a long-term oscillation that usually will not yield immediate results to local weather because other global teleconnections should be taken into account as well.

So unfortunately, we very well indeed can see several more weeks of higher pressure anomalies over our region until the hemispheric weather patterns change more in our favor…And that’s if I’m correct in what I believe to be an erosion of this persistent -PDO. I’m really hope I’m right and this is not just a temporary trend. We shall see.
Stratton20

So it sees the -PDO is beginning to warm, how does that effect our death ridge pattern ( assuming it even does at all)
Cromagnum

Nice depressing graphic to show the current summer curse of Texas.

Dls2010r

Can we start a politics or global warming thread.
davidiowx

Cromagnum wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:05 pm Nice depressing graphic to show the current summer curse of Texas.

Maps like this are becoming more and more common it seems. Next few years it could be the opposite.

This storm just west of me has been sitting there for a good hour and a half. I can hear the thunder… What a tease
user:null

davidiowx wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:58 pmMaps like this are becoming more and more common it seems. Next few years it could be the opposite.
Maps like that are also an illusion, as they make Texas look like the blank donut with rain everywhere else. The reality is that all the qpf shown in NW Mexico through the Western US is specifically elevation/orographic related: much of that area would be blank if the land were flat and at sea-level.

Additionally, it's not just Texas that is largely blank. Arkansas, Oklahoma, and even Louisiana and parts of Mississippi have sizable areas of blank in that map too. Of course, the Pacific Coast states also are blank too.
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:08 pm
jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:01 am Also FWIW I don’t trust any “opinions” on climate change coming from anyone in the Oil and Gas industry. That may not be a popular opinion in Houston, but you know the old saying “follow the money”

I think I would rather trust a bunch of underpaid scientists doing their life’s passion versus overpaid spokespeople on a PR mission to convince the public to keep buying their products. 🤷‍♂️

💰💰💰
Pretty broad brush stroke to paint all oil & gas folks as not knowing anything about the environment and only caring about money. I used to work on CO2 capture projects in my old group (they still do this) and my entire portfolio of research right now is on eliminating substances of concern, safer chemistries, and post consumer recycling. My company is even investing a ton into nuclear power to minimize carbon footprint for electrical needs to power their own facilities.

I wish the US had gone nuclear years ago, like France.

It takes 5-7 years to build a plant, but there are so many regulations it could be 10+ years to get one online

Unfortunately, not too many nuclear power plants have been built since the 80s. Many of the licenses are set to expire in the next 20 years.

https://www.eia.gov/nuclear/spent_fuel/ussnftab2.php

Some of the more recent nuclear power plants are in Tennessee.

Good luck - what's the plan of action?
DoctorMu

GFS has that NW flow bringing in a bit of s/w action beginning the second week of August. Fingers crossed.
Stratton20

Models are sniffing out another front in the first week of august ( around the 5th-6th , fingers crossed!
GFS has a stalled out front and widespread rains
Cromagnum

I am so fed up with this season. Sucks, knowing it's going to be like this until October.
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:44 pm I am so fed up with this season. Sucks, knowing it's going to be like this until October.
Yeah but I’m hearing late August into September we could get some rain but as far as any cool weather we’ll probably have to wait till late October for that.
Stratton20

The GFS is looking better for rain during the latter half of the first week of august, fingers crossed
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:33 pm The GFS is looking better for rain during the latter half of the first week of august, fingers crossed
I’m hearing this coming week could be the hottest of the year. Sh*t 🤦‍♂️ at least I’m not really working outside anymore and have my own office now.
Stratton20

Cpv17 I wouldnt be surprised at all if it is, gosh winter cant get here soon enough, this has been one of the most miserable summers Ive ever lived through here
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:02 pm Cpv17 I wouldnt be surprised at all if it is, gosh winter cant get here soon enough, this has been one of the most miserable summers Ive ever lived through here
I wouldn’t even mind it if at least we had daily afternoon storm chances like they do in FL. But this crap of 100° every day with hardly a drop of rain is for the birds. I’ve only gotten 1” of rain in the past two months. How my area is only in the abnormally dry category on the drought map is beyond me. Our pasture here is fried and our yard would be too if not for watering it and raising the blade up when we cut it. And the cotton out here looks terrible this year unless it was irrigated. And crazy thing is, cotton doesn’t even like much rain but still needs at least a lil bit.
  • Information