More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

CPC seems to think it will stay chilly and damp...

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
SCSLAND

Hey SRAIN et. al. Just found this place again (like the new layout).

SRAIN- I'm your Jew pal from Sugar Land.

Can any of you please translate all these pretty pictures into normal people language? When are they predicting the cold weather and what are the chances of frozen precip?

Thanks in advance for your help.
harpman

The 18Z GFS should be running now.
Portastorm

The run looks a lot like the 0z run. It has gone back to much colder and more precip ... basically saying "game on" for a winter storm threat for much of Texas late next week. I'll refrain from commenting further. ;)

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... el_l.shtml
don

Portastorm wrote:The run looks a lot like the 0z run. It has gone back to much colder and more precip ... basically saying "game on" for a winter storm threat for much of Texas late next week. I'll refrain from commenting further. ;)

Yep 18z looks nice

Mr. T

Somebody across Texas next week will see some wintry fun, but it remains to be seen how far south this threat will exist.

The 18z GFS is definitely back on the colder side of things... We'll just have to watch for trends, I suppose. Nothing else to say at this point.

One thing is for sure, though. Temperatures will remain below normal through the period!
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some meteograms from the 18Z GFS, keeping in mind that I wouldn't trust anything past about next Monday/Tuesday:

0hr-180hr 3hr high-res:

Extended 180hr-384hr:
harpman

I'm in New Orleans and what you guys get in Houston usually comes this way, that's why I'm interested in what you say here. Except the December snow didn't quite make it all the way to New Orleans, but it was close!!
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welcome, harpman. Perhaps you could edit your profile to put in your location so we know where you are when we respond about weather that might impact you.
don

Wxman57 I think you accidently posted the 12z Raw data instead of the 18z :?: ;)
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like so far we are right on the edge of getting some type of winter precip. As of now it looks like our best change is ice/sleet or rain.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

don wrote:Wxman57 I think you accidently posted the 12z Raw data instead of the 18z :?: ;)
No, it's the 18Z data. I forgot to edit the title on my graphics to change them from 12Z to 18Z. Ignore the titles.
stormwatcher

Sure is alot of cold rain here in Grimes county tonight!
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

stormwatcher wrote:Sure is alot of cold rain here in Grimes county tonight!
It's almost formed into a solid line now entering nw Harris.
sleetstorm

don wrote:18z looks nice

Most of those computer models with precipitation and near freezing temperatures depict good sleet storms.
sleetstorm

don wrote:
Portastorm wrote:The run looks a lot like the 0z run. It has gone back to much colder and more precip ... basically saying "game on" for a winter storm threat for much of Texas late next week. I'll refrain from commenting further. ;)

Yep 18z looks nice

Don, those last three computer models very much look as though SE Texas may very well receive x-number of good sleet storms next week. Or is that not true?
niner21

How does the 18th to the 21st look in Rocksprings??

Camping out for those days, need some good weather info....
sleetstorm

Now this is what the weather forum ought to look like in the twenty-first century & third millennium. :P 8-) Do any of you accede?
Mr. T

Very close call on the 0z GFS for the Houston area. Definitely a widespread area of wintry precip across a large portion of Texas next wednesday and thursday being shown...

It may be pretty messy for some people across the state by the end of next week. We are still talking in the day 6 and 7 range, so a lot will change by then.

It looks like the airmass will become a bit shallow as it settles over the area. High pressure overhead oozes the cold air into our area on the surface, as upper heights build in response to the large shortwave trough pushing into the northeast. Freezing rain could be an issue for some. Of course, this all depends on how cold the airmass really is as it heads into the state. It is impossible to know that detail this far out.
don

Yep the GFS shows the freezing line a little north of the I-10 corridor for most of the event with light to moderate snow and freezing rain/sleet over areas north of I-10 for what its worth.
  • Information