More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Poltracker

Getting some accumulating snow in Dallas:
http://www.wxnation.com/livecam/
C2G

Hey, guess what we're getting here in southeast Texas?
That's right...........a cold rain and nothing more.
Guess it's only natural for north Texas to get a few snow events every winter.
Good for them.
txsnowmaker

Congratulations to the folks further north toward the Dallas area. It looks like you are in store for some nice accumulations later today/tonight. They should be getting what was forecast for the Dec. 4 event in Houston: 3-5 inches widespread with some areas receiving more. The difference mainly being that most if not all of it will stick for them. Perhaps someday Houston will see a repeat of the '89 event when we had about a couple of inches on the ground for more than a few hours. Here's hoping for that!
C2G

Hey, it actually accumulated down here December 10th of 08 and December 04. The Dec 4th event it did accumulate for thirty minutes.....then it was gone. :?
But I know exactly what you mean. More often than not it snows and melts on contact..or melts shortly thereafter.
Face it my friend.............we live in a sub-tropical climate that sometimes reminds us that we're not totally tropical.
For goodness sakes we get excited just to see a few sleet pellets falling from the sky.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tell you what, folks, what I'm seeing on the long-range models (ECMWF and GFS) indicates that we're nowhere near the end of winter in Houston. I see one storm after another with colder and colder air coming down. Our snow chances may be increasing the next few weeks. It just takes the right timing of a passing disturbance with cold air overhead. I don't see any events in the latest model runs, just very cold air. 10-day Euro has cross-Polar flow that dips all the way down to the Gulf! So don't put away those winter coats just yet...
Mr. T

I've never seen a message issued telling us that they are about to issue another message, lol

818 AM CST THU FEB 11 2010

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS CANCELLED...A NEW WINTER WEATHER
MESSAGE COMING OUT SHORTLY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SHREVEPORT HAS CANCELLED THE
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY.

A NEW WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY AND WINTER STORM WARNING WILL BE
COMING OUT SHORTLY.
Mr. T

wxman57 wrote:Tell you what, folks, what I'm seeing on the long-range models (ECMWF and GFS) indicates that we're nowhere near the end of winter in Houston. I see one storm after another with colder and colder air coming down. Our snow chances may be increasing the next few weeks. It just takes the right timing of a passing disturbance with cold air overhead. I don't see any events in the latest model runs, just very cold air. 10-day Euro has cross-Polar flow that dips all the way down to the Gulf! So don't put away those winter coats just yet...
Definitely. A good chance this February ends up in the top 10 coldest on record, just like last December.

We probably have one last hard freeze coming up. Definitely a few freezes coming up for next week.

http://raleighwx.easternuswx.com/models ... yNA240.gif

High latitude blocking will continue through the end of the month. This will keep us socked in a low height pattern with very little warm air return and more cold air intrusions.
Mr. T

txsnowmaker wrote:Congratulations to the folks further north toward the Dallas area. It looks like you are in store for some nice accumulations later today/tonight. They should be getting what was forecast for the Dec. 4 event in Houston: 3-5 inches widespread with some areas receiving more. The difference mainly being that most if not all of it will stick for them. Perhaps someday Houston will see a repeat of the '89 event when we had about a couple of inches on the ground for more than a few hours. Here's hoping for that!
Speak for yourself. The Dec 08 storm had more snow here in Kingwood than in 89. From talking with my parents to video shot during and after the snow in 89, it appears maybe an inch or a little less was on the ground during that time here in Kingwood. I do know IAH recieved slightly more snow. Also, the snow last December lasted on the ground for almost 24 hours (from about noon that friday afternoon to about 10 am the next morning. There were actually still a few patches of snow left the next night in covered areas and ditches around the area)

The snow we've recieved these past two seasons (first time in recorded history) has more than enough satisfied myself. You can't really ask for a better winter than what we've seen so far in SE TX if you like cold and snow. Earliest snowfall on record, top ten coldest December, record cold in January, and another likely top ten cold month for February.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:Tell you what, folks, what I'm seeing on the long-range models (ECMWF and GFS) indicates that we're nowhere near the end of winter in Houston. I see one storm after another with colder and colder air coming down. Our snow chances may be increasing the next few weeks. It just takes the right timing of a passing disturbance with cold air overhead. I don't see any events in the latest model runs, just very cold air. 10-day Euro has cross-Polar flow that dips all the way down to the Gulf! So don't put away those winter coats just yet...
I could not agree more wxman57. And we still have to get through tonight before we can even put this event behind us. Morming e-mail from Jeff...
Major Winter Storm affecting Texas.

Accumulating snow over N TX with winter mix likely over the northern 1/3rd of SE TX…some accumulation is possible.

Discussion:

Strong upper level low noted west of El Paso this morning spreading lift and moisture over the top of the cold air mass over TX. Band of moderate to heavy snow has developed from W TX to NW Louisiana including the DFW area where 1-2 inches is already on the ground. Locally, the low level air mass has warmed overnight ending the period of sleet many saw yesterday afternoon. The only exception is over our northern counties where profiles remain favorable for rain mixed with sleet along and north of a line from College Station to Corrigan. In fact the latest observations show snow being reported as far south as just north of Waco.

Main upper forcing and colder mid level temperatures will move across the state tonight with the core of the upper low. I am becoming a little more concerned than a changeover to all snow may occur over our northern counties given the cooling of the profiles and result in some accumulation. IN fact rain/sleet/snow mix may extend as far southward as a Hempstead to Conroe line early Friday morning. Will await the 12Z model guidance before going with a snow solution for the northern counties. Per NWS grids north of a line from College Station to Corrigan ½ -2 inches of slushy accumulation will be possible this afternoon into tonight with amounts of 2-6 inches over N TX and just east of our area over SW and WC LA where a few locations may see their greatest snowfall in over 3 decades.

Southward over the metro Houston area…the GFS and NAM forecast soundings remain warm enough to keep everything mostly liquid. The GFS does cool the profile toward 600am Friday toward freezing, but the layer of above freezing still looks deep enough to melt most of anything frozen (roughly 3,000-5,000 feet deep). Any slight deviation of the track of the upper low southward will bring more of the area under a winter mix of precip. and likely result in some greater amounts of accumulation.

Accumulations:

Surface temperatures will remain above freezing over all of the area today. Even in Dallas with snow falling and on the ground the air temp is only 32. The concern will be tonight (not that temps. will cool much), but that the P-type will change to more snow over our northern counties with snowfall rates increasing allowing accumulation even with temps above freezing. Feel at times moderate/heavy snow is possible over Madison, Houston, Trinity, and Polk counties resulting in some slushy accumulations of .5-2 inches. If temps. cool just 1-2 degrees even greater accumulations will be possible.

Rainfall amounts of 1-2 inches will be likely over the rest of the area under generally light rains with at times moderate rains.

Close watch on the trends today for the northern parts of our area…as with any winter weather threat fine lines in the details can make large forecast adjustments.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
C2G

It has indeed been a cold and miserable winter with one event of snow at the onset. It certainly doesn't qualify in any way as a snowy winter.......or exciting.
Yes, the 08 event had more snow on the ground then 89, but 89 had all are most of the roads iced over, I know because I drove in it. Nasty stuff.
Can't believe you'd be satisfied with one dusting at the onset, with cloudy, cold, wet, ever since.
Hey, but I guess we all look at weather differently.
Maybe we'll get another snow event later this month.
Mr. T

Cloud2ground wrote:It has indeed been a cold and miserable winter with one event of snow at the onset. It certainly doesn't qualify in any way as a snowy winter.......or exciting.
Yes, the 08 event had more snow on the ground then 89, but 89 had all are most of the roads iced over, I know because I drove in it. Nasty stuff.
Can't believe you'd be satisfied with one dusting at the onset, with cloudy, cold, wet, ever since.
Ah, ok. The only exciting weather is snow, then? Got it.

You live in the wrong place, pal. I can't believe that a snow event in Houston where it can sometimes never snow for 10 years is not enough for you. I could care less if it snows here again this winter. We already had our fun.

We've had so many things to talk about this winter. Snow, heavy rain, storms, historic cold, persistent cold... Perhaps you do not remember the dreadfully no event winters of, say, 03-04, 05-06, or the crap of all crap winters, 07-08. Long, boring stretches of tranquil weather, days of sun, temps in the 70s and 80s, and no worthy weather events to speak of.

But yes, you are right. It has been such a boring winter. There has been nothing to talk about. The weather pattern overhead has been nothing but ordinary. Silly me...
Last edited by Mr. T on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2G

To me it has been boring, except for the snow event on December 4th. Sorry, but cold, cloudy, and rainy weather doesn't really get me going.
Not really silly, just my opinion and yours differ on what we find exciting in weather.
txsnowmaker

Mr. T wrote:
txsnowmaker wrote:Congratulations to the folks further north toward the Dallas area. It looks like you are in store for some nice accumulations later today/tonight. They should be getting what was forecast for the Dec. 4 event in Houston: 3-5 inches widespread with some areas receiving more. The difference mainly being that most if not all of it will stick for them. Perhaps someday Houston will see a repeat of the '89 event when we had about a couple of inches on the ground for more than a few hours. Here's hoping for that!
Speak for yourself. The Dec 08 storm had more snow here in Kingwood than in 89. From talking with my parents to video shot during and after the snow in 89, it appears maybe an inch or a little less was on the ground during that time here in Kingwood. I do know IAH recieved slightly more snow. Also, the snow last December lasted on the ground for almost 24 hours (from about noon that friday afternoon to about 10 am the next morning. There were actually still a few patches of snow left the next night in covered areas and ditches around the area)

The snow we've recieved these past two seasons (first time in recorded history) has more than enough satisfied myself. You can't really ask for a better winter than what we've seen so far in SE TX if you like cold and snow. Earliest snowfall on record, top ten coldest December, record cold in January, and another likely top ten cold month for February.

Thank you for the clarification, Mr. T. I stand by my previous comments but I should have been more clear that I was referring to metro Houston (inside the loop and adjacent surrounding areas). Certainly appreciate what we have received in the way of the unusual and repeated snow events these past few winters.
kayci

Mr. T wrote:
Cloud2ground wrote:It has indeed been a cold and miserable winter with one event of snow at the onset. It certainly doesn't qualify in any way as a snowy winter.......or exciting.
Ah, ok. The only exciting weather is snow, then? Got it.

You live in the wrong place, pal. I can't believe that a snow event in Houston where it can sometimes never snow for 10 years is not enough for you. I could care less if it snows here again this winter. We already had our fun.

We've had so many things to talk about this winter. Snow, heavy rain, storms, historic cold, persistent cold... Perhaps you do not remember the dreadfully no event winters of, say, 03-04, 05-06, or the crap of all crap winters, last winter. Long, boring stretches of tranquil weather, days of sun, temps in the 70s and 80s, and no worthy weather events to speak of.

But yes, you are right. It has been such a boring winter. There has been nothing to talk about. The weather pattern overhead has been nothing but ordinary. Silly me...

Be nice children, do I have to put you in time-out?!?!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Appears the Upper Low is going to pass mighty close to SE TX later tonight/tomorrow...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tropical/satpix ... v_loop.php
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Speaking of cold, nasty winter weather to persist for weeks. My mind has drifted to a much better place than Houston to spend the winter - Tahiti! There's an extra chair on the beach if anyone wants to join me!

kayci

Count me in, it's gonna take me FOREVER to thaw out!
C2G

wxman57 wrote:Speaking of cold, nasty winter weather to persist for weeks. My mind has drifted to a much better place than Houston to spend the winter - Tahiti! There's an extra chair on the beach if anyone wants to join me!
Nice. That's where I go when I meditate. Sure beats the thought of more cold, cloudy, and miserable weather.
Sorry, exciting weather. ;)
redneckweather

Cloud2ground wrote:To me it has been boring, except for the snow event on December 4th. Sorry, but cold, cloudy, and rainy weather doesn't really get me going.
Not really silly, just my opinion and yours differ on what we find exciting in weather.

Then move.
biggerbyte

Cloud2ground wrote:To me it has been boring, except for the snow event on December 4th. Sorry, but cold, cloudy, and rainy weather doesn't really get me going.

I think it depends on where you live. A few folks got lucky this winter with some impressive snow accumulations. Other folks got nothing at all, or very little to speak of. Dan Meador, myself, and many other folks will tell you that we were not impressed for the area as a whole.

Having said that... One simply has to agree, IMHO, that looking at it as being where we are, and knowing what winter is typically like in s.e Texas, any group of people getting the amount of snow they got is impressive. Remember, this is two years in a row now that we can say that many folks got at least a dusting. That just does not happen down here.

Glass half empty? I personally think that everyone should have respect for the others point of view. Some folks were more impressed with that event than others. I also think that we have to have respect to the fact that no matter if you see one flake, or one inch of snow, down here, we should feel fortunate. This winter has been one to go
in the history books for being so out of the norm.

I simply love it.
  • Information