Nine myths and facts about lightning

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

Although most are points already know by just about everyone, here's an interesting read about lightning facts and myths ( although I must confess I don't walk around the house unplugging every electronic device on the first clap of thunder heard..)

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscio ... tning.html
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Surge protectors are made for minor surges in power that occur frequently. They can't protect against lightning. A whole house surge protector could, though.
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, and you're talking $$$$$ for an effective house-wide sure protector!!
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wxdata wrote:Yes, and you're talking $$$$$ for an effective house-wide sure protector!!
Yeah, looks like $200-$300 for the device and maybe $150 to get it installed. But how much would you stand to lose if your house wiring was hit by lightning? I definitely unplug my computers during thunderstorms (including network cable).
Mrs.Frosty

wxman57 wrote:
wxdata wrote:Yes, and you're talking $$$$$ for an effective house-wide sure protector!!
Yeah, looks like $200-$300 for the device and maybe $150 to get it installed. But how much would you stand to lose if your house wiring was hit by lightning? I definitely unplug my computers during thunderstorms (including network cable).
Yes ! We've learned that the hard way just a few weeks ago ! A severe thunderstorm knocked out power in our neighborhood and once the power came back on , a few hours later , our Desktop was kaput ! Just wouldn't back on ! :(
And we did use a surge protector !
Ever since then , we unplug every cable ! Better safe the sorry ! ;)
  • Information