August 2021: Major Hurricane Ida/SE Louisiana Landfall

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:45 pm CAG = Central America Gyre ?
Correct. They usually happen in the early part of the season. Late May into June.
jasons2k

Line did the splits. 0.00” thus far.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 181749
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
1249 PM CDT Wed Aug 18 2021

.AVIATION [18Z TAF Issuance]...

Widespread showers and thunderstorms across Southeast TX will
persist through 00Z this evening. VFR conditions will prevail, but
quick moving showers and storms will drop conditions to MVFR or
IFR visibilities and cloud ceilings along with variable and gusty
winds. Therefore, most sites are carrying a TEMPO for TSRA and
low MVFR visibilities until 22Z. Overnight, MVFR ceilings will
sneak into our northern sites during the early morning hours as
an upper level weakness moves out of our area. Ceilings bounce
back to VFR a few hours after sunrise for those sites. Coastal
showers push inland again tomorrow morning as far north as IAH
until drier air settles in and squashes convection.

KBL
Cpv17

It looks like the Euro is wanting to come onboard now too.

Also, looks like the CPC is seeing something too:

Stratton20

Yikes, definitely will be watching the gulf over the next 10 or so days
DoctorMu

Impressive blocking.

Grace appears later to re-emerge on the Pacific side.
Attachments
gfs_z500aNorm_atl_5.png
ecmwf_z500aNorm_atl_2.png
WatherDud

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:14 pm Yikes, definitely will be watching the gulf over the next 10 or so days
Of course you will be. Because like your deleted post from a day or so ago, you're basically praying that Houston gets a hurricane this year.
Stratton20

Just finished my new student orientation at A&M in college station and was walking back to my car when I got caught in a nasty thunderstorm , needless to say white polo shirts combined with rain doesnt end well😂😂😂
MontgomeryCoWx

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:32 pm Just finished my new student orientation at A&M in college station and was walking back to my car when I got caught in a nasty thunderstorm , needless to say white polo shirts combined with rain doesnt end well😂😂😂
Welcome to my old stomping grounds. I'm officially an old now as I turn 40 this year.

I didn't realize you were a young'un. Are you majoring in Meteorology?

Our group will be up there for every home game this Fall with a large tailgate on the SE side of Reed Arena.
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

This has been a pleasant August. As much as I hate Summer, I have to admit, that I haven't seen scattered storms like this (in August) in quite a long time. I've tallied an inch over the last several days from rain that lasted 20-45 minutes a day.

Summer's last hurrah happens next week before we turn cooler and welcome Fall!
Team #NeverSummer
Stratton20

MontgomeryCoWx yeah ill be 21 in 11 days haha, but im majoring in environmental studies, weather is more of a personal hobby to me , and yup im attending every home game, never been to an aggie game but heard they are a lot of fun
Pas_Bon

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:40 pm MontgomeryCoWx yeah ill be 21 in 11 days haha, but im majoring in environmental studies, weather is more of a personal hobby to me , and yup im attending every home game, never been to an aggie game but heard they are a lot of fun

Geaux Tigers.
MontgomeryCoWx

Pas_Bon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:46 pm
Stratton20 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:40 pm MontgomeryCoWx yeah ill be 21 in 11 days haha, but im majoring in environmental studies, weather is more of a personal hobby to me , and yup im attending every home game, never been to an aggie game but heard they are a lot of fun

Geaux Tigers.
Hey Buddy! I hope all is well. Tell the twins I said hello, and we comin' to pillage Red Stick this year. :lol:
Team #NeverSummer
Stratton20

Pas_Bon Good luck to yall, these tigers are gonna need it when the Aggies come to town😬😬😂😂
Scott747

The 18z GFS is a mess. A few days ago it and the Euro were picking up on the meager wave that's currently at 50w. Euro has pretty much dropped it but as late as the 0z last night was oddly doing it. Now it's an early season like battle between the EPAC and BoC. Usually the EPAC wins out but it does appear a weak wave sets off the BoC. Getting in a range that it's not too outlandish but would definitely be an odd setup.

Also the GFS is running really low on some of the waves as the get through the Caribbean, or at least the energy is more on the southern axis of the waves. Sets one off of Columbia in the long range that lifts N. Let's not even get started on what originated down there a long time ago.... :)
TexasBreeze

It sure will be interesting whenever the time comes for UT and OU to head over there and shake things up a bit in the SEC!
Sept 4 can't come soon enough. College football is the best!
Rip76

TexasBreeze wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 pm It sure will be interesting whenever the time comes for UT and OU to head over there and shake things up a bit in the SEC!
Sept 4 can't come soon enough. College football is the best!
Yes sir!!
captainbarbossa19

Scott747 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 pm The 18z GFS is a mess. A few days ago it and the Euro were picking up on the meager wave that's currently at 50w. Euro has pretty much dropped it but as late as the 0z last night was oddly doing it. Now it's an early season like battle between the EPAC and BoC. Usually the EPAC wins out but it does appear a weak wave sets off the BoC. Getting in a range that it's not too outlandish but would definitely be an odd setup.

Also the GFS is running really low on some of the waves as the get through the Caribbean, or at least the energy is more on the southern axis of the waves. Sets one off of Columbia in the long range that lifts N. Let's not even get started on what originated down there a long time ago.... :)

I take it that you are referring to a certain storm in the early 60s?
Stratton20

Scott747 GFS also is hinting as some weak steering currents as well as it develops a weak system and then stalls it in Brownsville by day 10
jasons2k

I went to Tech. We are getting the shaft on this deal, but what’s new?

Anyway, the NWS has lowered highs a bit next week and raised rain chances slightly.

Next step on the pool is electrical, then decking and plaster. Getting there…
  • Information