August 2020:

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
sau27

javakah wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:52 am So, let's say it came in at Freeport or Galveston. What would the likely inland winds be looking like?
NOT A FORECAST- but a strong landfalling hurricane in Freeport is generally regarded as worst case scenario for Houston.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

12 z TVCN Thursday Morning
Attachments
12 Z TVCN Thursday Morning August 26, 2020.png
snowman65

only about 36 hours til landfall. How many more shifts could there possibly be??? Gotta be some sort of consensus soon. From what I keep reading it could be anywhere between Freeport and Beaumont. That's a huge spread to be only 36 hours left....imo
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

snowman65 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 am only about 36 hours til landfall. How many more shifts could there possibly be??? Gotta be some sort of consensus soon. From what I keep reading it could be anywhere between Freeport and Beaumont. That's a huge spread to be only 36 hours left....imo
Actually, that is a pretty compact spread, if you look at it. It will narrow as we get closer. I promise
CypressMike

javakah wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:52 am So, let's say it came in at Freeport or Galveston. What would the likely inland winds be looking like?
For any given location, it will be highly dependent upon the track (and obviously intensity). For now, look to Ike as an analogue for how the inland winds might look (but recognize it could be better or worse depending on the size and strength at landfall).
davidiowx

CypressMike wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:11 am
For any given location, it will be highly dependent upon the track (and obviously intensity). For now, look to Ike as an analogue for how the inland winds might look (but recognize it could be better or worse depending on the size and strength at landfall).
Ike is a pretty good analog storm. It could be less damage or worse and time will tell throughout the day. Everyone needs to be paying very close attention to local officials and the NHC and preparing for a major hurricane impact.
don

CypressMike wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:11 am
Yep i was thinking the same, for reference here's a map of Ike's sustained winds over Southeast Texas. If Laura is stronger than Ike though the winds could be worse than Ike's were.
Attachments
Ike_Wind_Zoom2.png
MontgomeryCoWx

Laura should be moving faster than Ike, so if she comes ashore as a 3/4, she will most definitely have stronger winds further inland.
Team #NeverSummer
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Folks, remember Ike was a very large Hurricane...like Carla was in 61. Right now Laura is a bit larger than an average Hurricane. Let's see if the wind field expands as the next 24 to 36 hour unfolds. I'm still concerned that Laura may slow down as it nears the Cosst Wednesday into early Thursday.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Tx2005

Amazing. I went to the store to buy one quick thing and wow, it’s like a regular Tuesday morning.

People have no clue what’s coming it seems like.
Kingwood36

Tx2005 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 am Amazing. I went to the store to buy one quick thing and wow, it’s like a regular Tuesday morning.

Not here in Freeport I just got back from Walmart and nearly everything is gone
Cpv17

Yeah most people aren’t too concerned it seems. Just going about their business like a normal day. The NHC will probably shift west but probably only about 10 miles or so. I doubt it’ll be much of a shift but we’ll see shortly.
jabcwb2

Kingwood36 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:42 am
Tx2005 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 am Amazing. I went to the store to buy one quick thing and wow, it’s like a regular Tuesday morning.

Not here in Freeport I just got back from Walmart and nearly everything is gone
Rita was the first hurricane I ever experienced in my life. I was absolutely petrified. Because of the incredible people on this forum, I was literally walked through as to what to do. I have containers and containers of frozen water, yard is empty of anything that could fly, plenty of non-perishables, charcoal, long matches for gas stove, stove top coffee pot, personal items and generator. Thank you for always answering the same questions and for all of your patience. This house is prepared!!!! (for about 6 days, now!)
prospects8903

Still at the plant here in Orange Tx shutting down hopefully get on the road this afternoon
tsb2107

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:45 am Yeah most people aren’t too concerned it seems. Just going about their business like a normal day. The NHC will probably shift west but probably only about 10 miles or so. I doubt it’ll be much of a shift but we’ll see shortly.
Yeah...unreal, walked into work today and my manager was discussing we will probably work half a day tomorrow. I'm thinking, are you serious? Do you not realize people have to prepare.
DoctorMu

Somewhere between Ike and Rita in landfall location and size. With Rita IIRC there were hurricane force winds as far north as Woodville.
AtascocitaWX

I really feel for the NHC , as this 10:00am update will be important.Seems city officials are waiting before they start making decisions. I was out this morning and majority of folks have no clue of the changes from overnight , so if they think this could become a Major then preparations and any evacuations need to be made asap
Cromagnum

Sugarland Lowes has a bunch of portable generators (for the time being) if anyone needs one.
bikerack

wxman57 sighting on storm2k...
Was awakened this morning by my teammate (who's off duty now) telling me of the track changes. He's driving his wife & newborn to San Antonio and will be ready to work from there. I was out of the house within 3 minutes racing to Kroger to get my four five-gallon gas cans filled for the generator. I'm sure hoping it goes in east of GLS Bay, but that's not clear. Won't be until tomorrow evening. Note that Laura is going to be very small compared to Ike & Rita. Rita's hurricane-force winds extended out about 85 miles east of the center, Ike's over 100 miles. Laura's may extend out 30-35 miles east of the center and 20-25 miles west of the center. Much smaller wind damage area, but not good near the track line. Looking at 120 mph wind at landfall, maybe more. Moved the track to just west of BPT now, but we are waiting for the 12Z model runs which will have the G-IV data before making any further adjustments west or east.
txbear

If anyone is interested, the 00z Texas Tech WRF ensembles also have Laura coming in around Bolivar, although the left turn at the end of the run could probably be thrown out. 12z is loading now.
  • Information