December 2019: Warming Trend/Weekend Rain/Christmas Outlook

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
MontgomeryCoWx

snowman65 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:33 pm brrrrr. what a winter this is going to be...lol. I'm 54 years old and this will rank in top 3 most undesirable winters ever. I knew when we had that cold blast in November we were in trouble.
That has nothing to do with whether January and February are cold.

The Pacific will work with us again late this month into January. You can see it progressing.
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

Ugly!!

snowman65

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:17 pm Ugly!!

I could have told you that without a map lol....
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Monday morning weather briefing from Jeff:

After record warmth on Sunday…a strong cold front will sweep across the region today returning the area to winter.

Strong front is located from NE TX to College Station to Austin to Del Rio at 700am and is moving southeastward at 20-30mph. Isolated showers have begun to develop across the region along and ahead of this boundary and this will continue through the rest of the day as the boundary moves across the area. Temperatures will fall 15-25 degrees as the front passes with most locations ahead of the boundary currently in the upper 60’s to low 70’s and then falling into the upper 40’s and low 50’s behind the front. For example Georgetown is currently 43 and LaGrange 70.

As for rainfall…air mass is capped aloft and expected much of what transpires over the next 4-6 hours to be mainly light showers and drizzle. Instability does increase across our coastal sections and eastward into Louisiana where there could be a few thunderstorms as the front passes. Will keep rainfall amounts on the very light side with most locations averaging either side of .25 of an inch if that.

Front is already through College Station and should be into the metro area in the 1030-100pm time frame and then off the coast 100-300pm. Strong cold air advection will onset behind the front and last into the middle of the week. Skies will rapidly clear this evening allowing temperatures to fall into the 30’s over much of the area. Areas from College Station to Lake Livingston could reach freezing by Tuesday morning. Cold high pressure builds over the area on Tuesday with high temperatures struggling to reach the lower 50’s even with full sun. Wednesday morning will be the coldest morning with freezing temperatures possible as far south as HWY 105 and potentially even into the north and western portions of Harris County.

Quick warm up Thursday into the lower 60’s ahead of a fast moving disturbance that will bring a quick shot at rainfall Thursday night and Friday morning. High pressure builds back into the region late Friday through the weekend.

Next Week:
High pressure that will build into the area this weekend will begin to slide eastward and an extended period of onshore flow will likely be in place for much of next week. Temperatures and humidity values will begin to increase starting morning
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

83°F yesterday; 48°F today. The front blasted through in Dallas yesterday as we were picking up our son at Love Field. Serious advection. Unfortunately, "overrun" is the word of the day.

However, sunny, beautiful weather for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

So the next 48 hours are your winter for December if the models hold. Maybe in the New Year.
harp

I just posted on another forum that the GFS seems to be trying to bring the cold down to us in the days after Christmas. Even the CMC is showing signs of that. Let's see if that continues. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Cold Front as of 12:06 pm
Attachments
The Cold Front as of 12 06 pm December 16  2019.JPG
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 161751
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
1151 AM CST Mon Dec 16 2019

.AVIATION [18Z TAF Issuance]...

Cold front continues to push through KIAH to KSGR and should be
pushing through KHOU through the next hour. There may be some
isolated TSRA and will keep that mention for KIAH and may need to
add to KHOU TAF should radar trends support it. Right now think
most of the convection will be showers. There will be some IFR
conditions behind the front for a few hours and then slowly
improving to MVFR. Big question will be how quickly ceilings
improve. Models show rather quick improvement this afternoon and
we will have already adjusted the TAF for slower improvement. We
will likely need to adjust this into the afternoon after tracking
satellite trends.

Overpeck

&&

.PRELIMINARY POINT TEMPS/POPS...

College Station (CLL) 33 53 30 58 32 / 0 0 0 0 0
Houston (IAH) 36 54 34 57 36 / 0 0 0 0 0
Galveston (GLS) 41 53 43 56 48 / 20 0 0 0 0

&&

.HGX WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...

TX...None.
GM...Small Craft Advisory from 3 PM this afternoon to noon CST
Tuesday for the following zones: Galveston Bay...Matagorda
Bay.

Gale Warning from 3 PM this afternoon to noon CST Tuesday for
the following zones: Coastal waters from Freeport to
Matagorda Ship Channel TX out 20 NM...Coastal waters from
High Island to Freeport TX out 20 NM...Waters from Freeport
to Matagorda Ship Channel TX from 20 to 60 NM...Waters from
High Island to Freeport TX from 20 to 60 NM.

Small Craft Advisory until 3 PM CST this afternoon for the
following zones: Waters from Freeport to Matagorda Ship
Channel TX from 20 to 60 NM...Waters from High Island to
Freeport TX from 20 to 60 NM.

&&

$$

AVIATION...Overpeck
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cold Front as of 2:18 pm
Attachments
Cold Front as of 2 17 pm December 16  2019.JPG
djmike

Wow! Torrential flooding rain, winds, hail, tornadoe! We are getting slammed in Beaumont! Just WOW!!!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Cromagnum

Is the HGX radar down? My apps wont show anything past about 8 AM. Lake Charles radar works fine though.
snowman65

djmike wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm Wow! Torrential flooding rain, winds, hail, tornadoe! We are getting slammed in Beaumont! Just WOW!!!
It was pretty crazy at lunchtime (11:30). We couldnt even leave the building. It was sideways.....
Cpv17

djmike wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm Wow! Torrential flooding rain, winds, hail, tornadoe! We are getting slammed in Beaumont! Just WOW!!!
You guys are always getting slammed there.
snowman65

For all the Game of Thrones fans...WINTER IS (not) COMING.... :lol: :lol:
MontgomeryCoWx

snowman65 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:10 am For all the Game of Thrones fans...WINTER IS (not) COMING.... :lol: :lol:
Actually, it is if you look at our source region the next couple of weeks coupled with the progression in the Pacific.

My target for a big blast is the 3rd-7th timeframe. Bookmark this and make fun of me or say thank you then ;)
Team #NeverSummer
unome

our latest forecast went from 1+ hrs at freezing to 6+ :(

in come the plants & on go the faucet covers I guess
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:15 pm
snowman65 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:10 am For all the Game of Thrones fans...WINTER IS (not) COMING.... :lol: :lol:
Actually, it is if you look at our source region the next couple of weeks coupled with the progression in the Pacific.

My target for a big blast is the 3rd-7th timeframe. Bookmark this and make fun of me or say thank you then ;)
Actually there could be a pretty decent front right before New Years... mid to upper 20’s possibly.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:51 pm

Actually there could be a pretty decent front right before New Years... mid to upper 20’s possibly.

I’ve seen it, but I’m referring to a significant cold front with some staying power in the upper levels. Mid to upper 20s isn’t rare around here. My house hit 28 this morning.
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:06 am

I’ve seen it, but I’m referring to a significant cold front with some staying power in the upper levels. Mid to upper 20s isn’t rare around here. My house hit 28 this morning.
Mine hit 26 all the way down here in Wharton County..couldn’t believe it. Woke up to a big surprise. Jack frost everywhere too.
snowman65

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:06 am

I'll get excited if/when that is still alive within 2-3 days out.....until then.....eehhh........
  • Information