August 2019: Weak Cold Front/Rain Chances To End August

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texaspirate11

107 Heat Index at my home at 3 p.m. today....and it just drags onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
BlueJay

OK. It's hot. But it's August in Texas!!! We know it will be hot.

Hang on everyone. Cooler days are ahead.

Enjoy your Back to School tax free weekend and be careful on the road.
davidiowx

cperk

BlueJay wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:23 am OK. It's hot. But it's August in Texas!!! We know it will be hot.

Hang on everyone. Cooler days are ahead.

Enjoy your Back to School tax free weekend and be careful on the road.
Thanks Bluejay I appreciate being reminded that cooler weather is in the not so distant future. :)
Cpv17

Not that I’m complaining, but I’m curious to know why it’s a few degrees cooler where I live (Wharton County) compared to other areas across southeast Texas. My guess is the lack of concrete around the area.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm Not that I’m complaining, but I’m curious to know why it’s a few degrees cooler where I live (Wharton County) compared to other areas across southeast Texas. My guess is the lack of concrete around the area.
Yes
Team #NeverSummer
unome

DW Hooks is showing much lower temp than areas around it - not so sure that's correct ?

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/mwmap2.php?map=houston
jasons2k

I had 101 with a heat index of 116 this (and that was random check just before 5).
MontgomeryCoWx

I just got back from a wedding, OUTSIDE, in August. Come on people, even the seersucker couldn’t combat the stifling heat index.
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

jasons wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm I had 101 with a heat index of 116 this (and that was random check just before 5).
Your area is definitely hotter than mine lol hottest temp we’ve had at my house this whole summer has been 96.
davidiowx

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 am I just got back from a wedding, OUTSIDE, in August. Come on people, even the seersucker couldn’t combat the stifling heat index.
Yikes. It always ceases to amaze me that people have outdoor weddings down here in prime Summer. It’s either going to be unbearably hot or raining. Both are uncomfortable in that situation.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 am
jasons wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm I had 101 with a heat index of 116 this (and that was random check just before 5).
Your area is definitely hotter than mine lol hottest temp we’ve had at my house this whole summer has been 96.
I'm trying to understand how the dewpoint and temp are lower in both El Campo and Waco than in College Station. It felt like a million degrees IMBY yesterday. Monday and Tuesday may be even hotter.
MontgomeryCoWx

Obligatory Summer Sucks post!
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:11 pm Obligatory Summer Sucks post!
The Big Suck. Triple digits with heat index of 111°F currently.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm trying to understand how the dewpoint and temp are lower in both El Campo and Waco than in College Station. It felt like a million degrees IMBY yesterday. Monday and Tuesday may be even hotter.
That’s a legit question lol we still haven’t broke 96 today. It’s currently 96 with a dp of 67. Meanwhile, just 30 min up the road in Rosenberg it’s 99 with a dp of 72. Weird!
Cromagnum

Water sprinklers on full blast this weekend.
GBinGrimes

Played golf at The A&M course today. Felt pretty OK at 10am but man oh man, once the sun got overheard the heat of the air became stifling.

Being born and raised in these parts, I can stay outside all day as long as I stay hydrated. Still, today was booger bear hot. Yowza.

Is it too soon to have our first freeze prediction?!
DoctorMu

GBinGrimes wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:48 pm Played golf at The A&M course today. Felt pretty OK at 10am but man oh man, once the sun got overheard the heat of the air became stifling.

Being born and raised in these parts, I can stay outside all day as long as I stay hydrated. Still, today was booger bear hot. Yowza.

Is it too soon to have our first freeze prediction?!

Today was pretty monstrous, but there was a bit of a breeze and the DP dipped to 70° in the late afternoon. OK out of the sun as it waned. Even hotter - 103°F-104°F through Tuesday. Hoping some of that drier air promised us will mix in.

It could be worse. 10-15+ years ago, they hardly watered the A&M course, except the greens. I've seen old school aerial views of campus in August, and the brownest part of the landscape was the golf course! lol It was like the Junction Boys of golf courses! You couldn't tee the ball without fire ants crawling up your arm looking for moisture and sustenance.

The refabbed course is not Traditions, where the Aggie teams play, but the newish bent greens and redone course isn't bad. Nice putting green and range. I sweat too much to grip the clubs adequately in the summer...hardly play on the A&M course (no discount), but more often visiting family in NC, Arkansas, etc. I grew up on NC, so I'm way too spoiled re: golf courses...even through I don't mind hitting those low stingers in the Texas/great plains breeze.

Release of Brazilian phorid flies (and a parasite) has helped with control of IFR. I use fipronil (15+ years) and Extinguish on my lawn, so they are not a problem...although starting this year I have to get our neighbor exterminator to put down fipronil because of EPA regulations (can't get the stuff on the black market any more).
Last edited by DoctorMu on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

December 19 - first freeze (CLL); December 20 - IAH

Back in 1992, our first frost was around Halloween. We're ENSO neutral, so it will be a matter of when the first Canadian or polar blue norther reaches the area. NOAA is projecting a warmer than average fall and beginning of winter.

Would love to see a repeat of the 2017 Dec 8 snow miracle, but not betting on it.
Cromagnum

I would just settle for 50s in October. I hate having to wait until December most years for it to get below 60, and even then it only does it for a day at a time in the morning.
  • Information