February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Grids just updated. 100% chance of rain/snow for Houston tomorrow with an 80% chance of SNOW tomorrow night...I'd imagine that some type of watch or advisory will be issued for Harris, Fort Bend, Waller, Austin and Liberty Counties at the afternoon AFD.
snowman65

I think Houston is getting more snow this year than the Vancouver Olympic games....... :lol:
snowman65

Candy Cane wrote:Grids just updated. 100% chance of rain/snow for Houston tomorrow with an 80% chance of SNOW tomorrow night...I'd imagine that some type of watch or advisory will be issued for Harris, Fort Bend, Waller, Austin and Liberty Counties at the afternoon AFD.
What's a "grid"?
Mr. T

Ed Mahmoud wrote: But hope the GFS is wrong.
Why would I hope it is wrong? It shows accumulating snow in the Houston area. Sounds good to me!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candy Cane wrote:Grids just updated. 100% chance of rain/snow for Houston tomorrow with an 80% chance of SNOW tomorrow night...I'd imagine that some type of watch or advisory will be issued for Harris, Fort Bend, Waller, Austin and Liberty Counties at the afternoon AFD.

90% rain/snow here tomorrow with an 80% snow with an inch accumulation tomorrow night.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jabcwb2

Awesome! Hope it makes it all the way to Klein this time!!!!!!
polisciaggie

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
polisciaggie wrote:
Ed Mahmoud wrote:
Not so bad for our aggie and Longhorn friends, although it doesn't look enough to cancel school.
That's the only reason why I want it to snow! :mrgreen:

Glass half full, Aggie dude. And with a new QB at Texas, and A&M returning a whole bunch of frosh and sophmores from last year, I think the Aggies have a legitimate shot at contending for the Big XII title. 3 way battle, Aggies, America's Team and the Sooners. The Aggies owe Bob Stoops mondo payback for the way he runs up the score. Y'all hate my alma mater, America's Team, but Mack Brown isn't throwing bombs in the 4th quarter up by 5 TDs. He is a gentleman.

Anyway, mid December bowl in Shreveport not on the schedule. Worst case Alamo Bowl for you guys, Best Case, not super probable, a BCS bowl, most likely Cotton or Holiday Bowl.

Oh, but people are talking mesoscale banding and slantwise convection and other happy words, early dismissal tomorrow and cancellation of morning classes on Wednesday is not impossible. But if I had a test Wednesday morning, I'd study anyway.
I hope so, our first 3 games this season had me really excited, then Arkansas came and it was all down hill from there (except when we beat Tech :lol: )

I'll be studying abroad in Paris next Fall so I won't be able to go to most of the games, but I might make the first two.
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

Abundant sunshine today may hurt the cause for sticking snow, especially this far south..
Mr. T

Looks to me like they'll issue an advisory for probably Harris and Montgomery counties and a warning north of the there...
Mr. T

wxdata wrote:Abundant sunshine today may hurt the cause for sticking snow, especially this far south..
I don't know. It is mainly cloudy here, and it was 78 degrees the day before the Dec 10th, 2008 event with full sunshine. I'm not worried about that.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

wxdata wrote:Abundant sunshine today may hurt the cause for sticking snow, especially this far south..
Abundant? It's overcast here in Spring/Woodlands.
ticka1

What timeframe we looking for this exciting event to start tomorrow? I'll be watching ....
Poltracker

Candy Cane wrote:
Abundant? It's overcast here in Spring/Woodlands.

Plenty of sun here on the SE side of town.
Mr. T

I'll take 0.2". Seriously. I want there to be two accumulating events in the same season. It would be only the 4th time that has ever happened!

Then, I can be like, "yeah, I was alive during that winter"
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Being that our Winter Storm criteria is so low, I feel safe in saying that this is how it will shake out:

Winter Storm Warnings MAY be issued for the following counties this afternoon:

Burleson, Brazos, Grimes, Houston, Madison, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Trinity, and Walker Counties. I feel that many areas across Montgomery County and north will easily see 2" of snow--and if not in south county, then north county for sure.

Winter Storm Watches AND OR a Winter Weather Advisory MAY be issued for:

Harris, Fort Bend, Liberty, Waller and Austin counties with a wait and see attitude further south in Brazoria, Galveston and Chambers.

As I posted before, this is still developing and changes are occuring every hour. It's encouraging to see the grids updated to show such a very high percentage of just pure snow for most of the area. That is GOOD. What is also good is the NAM is colder and wetter and the gfs agrees. The snow line has shifted south, per the weather service, by 10-40 miles. That is the way I see it now. Stay tuned....
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

WINTER STORM WARNINGS NOW UP FOR SOUTH CWA OF DALLAS...NEXT UP...HOUSTON (AT LEAST NORTHERN COUNTIES I'D ASSUME)
Mr. T

Candy Cane wrote:WINTER STORM WARNINGS NOW UP FOR SOUTH CWA OF DALLAS...NEXT UP...HOUSTON (AT LEAST NORTHERN COUNTIES I'D ASSUME)
Yeah, the warnings *may* extend down to Montgomery, but definitely not Harris. They'll likely give us an advisory for an inch of snow.
txsnowmaker

srainhoutx wrote:

90% rain/snow here tomorrow with an 80% snow with an inch accumulation tomorrow night.

I am wondering which part of Houston this forecast is for. I just plugged in my zip code in the Galleria area and this is what NWS spit out:

Tuesday: Rain, mainly after noon. High near 46. North wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.Tuesday Night: Rain and snow before 3am, then a slight chance of rain and flurries. Low around 34. North wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Don't get me wrong--I will glady accept this if that is what pans out. However, I do think it is still quite possible that we get more, as others have pointed out that the forecast is still changing by the hour...
AggieBuckeye

The speed and *how* early the onset of snow occurs will determine if the Brazos Valley and points north and eastward will receive DFW like snowfall from the last blast.

I really think someone could get lucky and record 6 inches plus from Waco to College Station.

As for Houston, maybe an inch in the northern burbs.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

txsnowmaker, mine is for NW Harris County. (DW Hooks)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information