February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Portastorm

Katdaddy wrote:Whoever gets the snow enjoy it! That means you Portastorm. A very light dusting for Houston metro. Not holding out for much and believe there will be more disappointed people than happy. I remember several Winter events in the 80s that never materialized as forecasted. I will take my 2004 and 2008 snow miracles and be happy.
If we actually get snow, yes, I will be happy! Like you I can remember a number of times when the "sure thing" ended up being a big disappointment.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sounding for Austin suggests rain changing to snow between 9am-10am. Snow ending around 6pm.

Sounding for north Houston (IAH) indicates rain changing to snow around 5pm. Snow ending 7pm-8pm.

Sounding for south Houston (HOU) indicates rain may briefly change to snow right as the precip ends around 7pm-8pm.

Soundings based on 06Z GFS

09Z RUC suggests Austin changes over to snow 12pm-1pm, later than GFS. Given current conditions, that may be right. It also shows significant sleet prior to noon but surface temps above freezing.
Last edited by wxman57 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

wxman- when you say change over, do you mean change over to all snow? Or itll start mixing at IAH around 5PM?
Portastorm

wxman57 wrote:Sounding for Austin suggests rain changing to snow between 9am-10am. Snow ending around 6pm.

Sounding for north Houston (IAH) indicates rain changing to snow around 5pm. Snow ending 7pm-8pm.

Sounding for south Houston (HOU) indicates rain may briefly change to snow right as the precip ends around 7pm-8pm.

Soundings based on 06Z GFS
Thank you sir. I will keep y'all posted on whether that 6z verifies or not. It is a bit warm over here ... temps in and around the Austin metro are 38-40. With a dewpoint barely below freezing at 31 ... I gotta wonder if we're too warm for any real excitement.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

weatherguy425 wrote:wxman- when you say change over, do you mean change over to all snow? Or itll start mixing at IAH around 5PM?
Soundings indicate mostly snow on north side, maybe a brief period of all snow south side. But surface temps should remain above 32F.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Portastorm wrote:
Thank you sir. I will keep y'all posted on whether that 6z verifies or not. It is a bit warm over here ... temps in and around the Austin metro are 38-40. With a dewpoint barely below freezing at 31 ... I gotta wonder if we're too warm for any real excitement.
See the note I added about the RUC, above.
Portastorm

wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:
See the note I added about the RUC, above.
I would believe it (RUC). We're back to all rain now. Given that surface temps will remain above freezing all day, whatever does fall, shouldn't create too much of a mess on the roads until tonight (if it goes beneath 32). My expectations have been re-calibrated! ;)
Portastorm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Always thought it'd be interesting to drive down from the Oasis/Lake Travis (if it is still there) on those winding, hilly roads, back towards Austin while it was snowing or sleeting.
Yeah Ed, it's still around. Food still stinks but the drinks and view of the sunset remain unchanged.

Methinks many Austin-area schoolchildren (including my own) will be bummed today.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

ed- while significant accumulations arent likely in the metro, you know it will be obvious to see snow falling from the sky! :twisted: :lol:
sleetstorm

Waco and Austin are about to get good snow.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Heading to Baytown now. Will be done with my presentation and back in the office around 11am. Will post updates then.

P.S. I hate winter
brazoria_county22

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
555 AM CST TUE FEB 23 2010

TXZ214-235>238-241300-
BRAZORIA-CHAMBERS-GALVESTON-JACKSON-MATAGORDA-
555 AM CST TUE FEB 23 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST TEXAS.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

RAIN MAY BECOME MIXED WITH SNOW BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE RAIN
AND SNOW MIX MAY CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW BEFORE ENDING OVERNIGHT
TONIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED. ICY
CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES TONIGHT.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTERS AND EMERGENCY MANAGERS SHOULD PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL
OF SNOW AND ICY CONDITIONS FROM LATE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH
TONIGHT. ANY SNOWFALL REPORTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
redneckweather

I"ve got 39 here at the house and I'm guessing the dew point is in the mid 30's. This event looks like it's going to be one of those situations where accumulation will come from heavy snow but will start melting as soon as it lightens up. The snow balls are going to hurt like hell!
kayci

redneckweather wrote:I"ve got 39 here at the house and I'm guessing the dew point is in the mid 30's. This event looks like it's going to be one of those situations where accumulation will come from heavy snow but will start melting as soon as it lightens up. The snow balls are going to hurt like hell!

Redneck, what town are you in?
redneckweather

I still fell hardcore bust as an unscientic gut feeling, but have high hopes for our Aggie friends, who have a Top 25 basketball team. Now, not so high hopes for students at America's favorite university on the Colorado, but maybe I'll be surprised.

First rattle out of the box. You aren't waisting too much time today are ya Ed? ;) I'd expect at least 6 more jibberish rants from you before the day is out. ;)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good morning folks. Looks like the snow line is from Sonora in W TX to just N of Waco at this hour. Points S from Del Rio to just N of Austin to Waco are rain/sleet mix. Temps and dew points are not our friend today in SE TX for those wanting to see snow. Let's see how the morning unfolds. The snow near Dallas (south side) is producing rather large flakes, so maybe, just maybe we can see some mixing and a changeover this afternoon and evening before it all moves away. It truly is nowcast time. Good Luck!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
kayci

I'll pass on the white stuff, thanx anyway! :D
ticka1

Bring on the WHITE Snow Stuff - I want it!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Light snow reported in Travis County just NW of Austin now. Llano as well as Junction reporting snow.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

More reports now of a change over to snow in Travis County to snow.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information