February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
kayci

rnmm wrote:
kayci wrote:
rnmm wrote:LOL @ Kayci.....I guess you better head to Cancun LOL....I am with you normally on snow as I don't want to live where it does it all the time, but the kids are so excited so its hard for me not to be excited too......
Did you say CANCUN????
My kids are excited too, they asked if they could stay home for a 'snow day' (yeah right). As for me, I'm cooking up a big pot of Texas Red chili for tonight, and breaking out the hot cocoa for my boys. If the 'white stuff' does happen to fall tonight in Texas City, I will be observing through the window and dreaming of summer.

Cancun yes I am sorry not a good place?? LOL I am making soup myself for tonight and we will be looking too LOL
Cancun is a brilliant idea, since i've been un-invited to Tahiti ;) LOL!
redneckweather

kayci wrote:
rnmm wrote: If the 'white stuff' does happen to fall tonight in Texas City, I will be observing through the window and dreaming of summer.

I hope it snows but after it does, the warm/hot weather can't get here soon enough! I'm right there with ya.
nuby3

IS it possible this could happen again early next week??? NWS mentioned it in the disco (the possibility that is)
biggerbyte

redneckweather wrote:
biggerbyte wrote:
I was simply commenting on your statement that left little doubt you had our upcoming snow event in question. Maybe you should have said what you actually meant to say then???

No, I said what I meant to say. I just had to simplify it a bit. I guess that's the right thing to do for simple minded people. Wink wink! ;)
No wonder you don't get snow where you are. It's kinda difficult when one is living next door to Satan. And that is a BIG WINK! WINK! on that one. Keep up talk like that and I'm certain the moderators will have a thing or two to discuss with you. Surely your behavior is a bit out of scope for this forum... Ahem! You are absolutely impossible. I don't think I have ever witnessed a more rude and condescending person. Now, where is that ignore key..
C2G

nuby3 wrote:IS it possible this could happen again early next week??? NWS mentioned it in the disco (the possibility that is)
Nothing has really happened in the Houston area, yet.
I did read their discussion......probably cold rain.
redneckweather

biggerbyte wrote:
redneckweather wrote:
No wonder you don't get snow where you are. It's kinda difficult when one is living next door to Satan. And that is a BIG WINK! WINK! on that one. Keep up talk like that and I'm certain the moderators will have a thing or two to discuss with you. Surely your behavior is a bit out of scope for this forum... Ahem! You are absolutely impossible. I don't think I have ever witnessed a more rude and condescending person. Now, where is that ignore key..

Dude, you've got some SERIOUS thin skin! You need to lighten up a bit. Just my 2 cents. All in fun in my eyes.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congrats Matt. I know it's been a long and difficult road. You have your Pro Met tag now. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
redneckweather

A buddy of mine who lives in Appleby (just outside of Nacogdoches) said the sleet is coming down very very hard...kind of like a hail storm and piling up.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
954 AM CST TUE FEB 23 2010

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0951 AM SNOW FREDERICKSBURG 30.27N 98.87W
02/23/2010 E1.0 INCH GILLESPIE TX FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

GRASSY AREAS
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
nuby3

Cloud2ground wrote:
nuby3 wrote:IS it possible this could happen again early next week??? NWS mentioned it in the disco (the possibility that is)
Nothing has really happened in the Houston area, yet.
I did read their discussion......probably cold rain.
snipet from the NWS discussion..
THE THIRD SYSTEM EARLY NEXT WEEK OCCURS IN A PATTERN THAT IS RATHER SIMILAR TO EARLY THIS WEEK. AT
LEAST
WE CAN EXPECT A COLD RAINY PATTERN TO BEGIN SUNDAY AND END
BY TUESDAY. WILL NEED TO STAY TUNED AS TO THE MODEL TRENDS ON HOW
COLD THE AIRMASS COULD GET
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

SATELLITE PRECIPITATION ESTIMATES..DATE/TIME 02/23/10 1521Z
SATELLITE ANALYSIS BRANCH/NESDIS---NPPU---TEL.301-763-8678
LATEST DATA USED: GOES-12 1445Z KUSSELSON
LOCATION...TEXAS...
ATTN WFOS...SHV...HGX...FWD...EWX...SJT...LUB...MAF...
ATTN RFCS...WGRFC...
EVENT...DYNAMICS AND JUST ENOUGH MOISTURE TO ADD TO SEASONAL SNOWFALL
TOTALS...
SATELLITE ANALYSIS AND TRENDS...BIG PICTURE SHOWED BIG RIDGE WEST COAST
BEGINNING TO GIVE GROUND BUT HAVING DOWNSTREAM AFFECTS IN FORCING
WESTERN NEW MEXICO VORT SOUTH WITH HELP OF POLAR JET OF NEAR 85KTS
CENTERED ON AZ AS PER SATELLITE WINDS. AS THIS VORT GETS CLOSER TO
SUBTROPICAL JET NOW FROM CENTRAL OLD MEXICO INTO THE GULF...VORT LOBE WILL
TURN MORE SE AND THEN LATER EAST. OF IMMEDIATE CONCERN WAS COMMA TAIL
CLOUD BAND JUST AHEAD OF VORT THAT HAD DYNAMICS FOR PRODUCING SNOW BUT
LESS MOISTURE THAN FURTHER EAST. MOSTLY LIGHT SNOW HERE BUT THERE COULD
BE STEADIER SNOW AS BAND MOVES INTO CENTRAL WHERE BETTER MOISTURE AND
DYNAMICS CLASH. OUT AHEAD OF COMMA TAIL BAND WERE TWO BAROCLINIC LEAFS.
ONE INTERIOR NW ACROSS N TX...THE OTHER FURTHER SOUTH ACROSS CENTRAL TO
INTERIOR E CENTRAL TX. ALWAYS TRICKY TO DELINEATE SNOW FROM ICE AND SLEET
AND RAIN AS COLDER AIR COMING IN ALOFT AND MOISTURE DEEPNING IN PLACE
AS DYNAMIC COME ACROSS FROM THE WEST. SOME PLACE COULD GET SEVERAL HRS
OF MODERATE TO HVY SNOW BEFORE DYNAMICS PASS TO THE EAST AND MOISTURE
DECREASES SUBSTANTIALLY FROM THE WEST (THINKING SOUTH OF DALLAS AREA).
BEST SNOW AREA OF IMMEDIATE CONCERN SEEMS TO BE CENTERED FROM CROCKETT TO
COKE COUNTY AND MOVING EAST AND RUNNELS TO BROWN TO COMMANCHE COUNTY AND
THIS AN AREA OF CONCERN AS WESTERN SNOW BAND COMES ACROSS THESE AREAS
AS WELL LATER ON. AREAS JUST SOUTH FT WORTH-DALLAS METROPLEX WILL BE
ON NORTHERN FRINGES OF THIS STEADY SNOW AT LEAST THRU THIS MORNING BUT
COULD BE EDGING NORTH TOWARD THE SOUTHERN PORTION. WILL CONTINUE TO
MONITOR...SEE SATELLITE ANALYSIS GRAPHIC ON HOME PAGE AT ADDRESS BELOW...

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
sleetstorm

Welcome back, Matt. It is very good to see you. I see that you have changed your username PsuNMatt. Wow. You only have three years left prior becoming a meteorologist! :P 8-) That is ausome, man.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

srainhoutx wrote:Congrats Matt. I know it's been a long and difficult road. You have your Pro Met tag now. ;)

Amen. I remember when you were in high school and "sniff" that was so long ago...we are getting old...LOL
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

sleetstorm wrote:Welcome back, Matt. It is very good to see you. I see that you have changed your username PsuNMatt. Wow. You only have three years left prior becoming a meteorologist! :P 8-) That is ausome, man.
That's 3 months, sleet. Not 3 years!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
sleetstorm

Wow!! :shock: That is even more impressive. :P 8-)
rnmm

Can I get some travel info please. I need to go to U of H in Clear Lake tonight. I will be leaving my house around 4:30 PM and will be on the campus until 7 PM to travel back home......I saw on the NOAA site where they said a chance of sleet around 3 PM in that area...can someone tell me how treacherous the travel will be if at all, please keep in mind that I am a big big big chicken when it comes to traveling in weather :D :oops:
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
nuby3

rnmm wrote:Can I get some travel info please. I need to go to U of H in Clear Lake tonight. I will be leaving my house around 4:30 PM and will be on the campus until 7 PM to travel back home......I saw on the NOAA site where they said a chance of sleet around 3 PM in that area...can someone tell me how treacherous the travel will be if at all, please keep in mind that I am a big big big chicken when it comes to traveling in weather :D :oops:
no, noone can tell you that.. just be prepared and do your best. Having said that, ground temps are warm and I'd say regardless of what is falling roads will be fine
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

rnmm wrote:Can I get some travel info please. I need to go to U of H in Clear Lake tonight. I will be leaving my house around 4:30 PM and will be on the campus until 7 PM to travel back home......I saw on the NOAA site where they said a chance of sleet around 3 PM in that area...can someone tell me how treacherous the travel will be if at all, please keep in mind that I am a big big big chicken when it comes to traveling in weather :D :oops:
I don't see any issues down there. Temps will be well above freezing. Roads will be wet, that's it.
HouTXmetro

http://www.corad.org/texas_radar.htm

According that Radar Areas near College Station to the North are getting SLAMMED with Sleet!
ticka1

wxman57 wrote:
I don't see any issues down there. Temps will be well above freezing. Roads will be wet, that's it.
How was BAYTOWN wxman57? Glad you made it back to your side of town safe and sound...you waiting on the snow???? :o
  • Information