March 2019: Strong Front/Rain Chance To End March

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

jasons wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 am Mon night: 33
Tue night: 34

The downward trend continues...how low will it go?
Back in March of 2002, it got down into the upper teens and low 20’s. I would expect upper 20’s and low 30’s with this event.
BlueJay

Today is Texas Independence Day! In 1836 fifty-nine Texas settlers met at Independence Hall in Washington-on-the -Brazos during a snow storm to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence declaring freedom from Mexico.

Celebrate! Do something Texan. Look for wildflowers before the freeze zaps them.
I highly recommend the event being held this weekend in Washington, Texas.

Now back to the weather... Enjoy the snowless day. :)
jasons2k

It always makes me nervous when the NWS decides to “split the difference” between the Euro & the GFS. That pretty much guarantees the official forecast will be wrong.

Plan for a freeze, especially north of I-10/US-59.
Cpv17

Pretty strong wet signal by the 18z GFS.

Cromagnum

Looks like upper 30s and low 40s. Cold and wet. Who cares.
christinac2016

Guess I’ll be doing treadmill tomorrow morning. I forget what walking outside feels like. Lol. I want the sun to return. It’s been a tough few months being out of work. The dreary weather doesn’t make it better.
stormlover

I mean is it supposed to rain tomorrow? Models don’t look to enthusiastic.
Cpv17

stormlover wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:41 pm I mean is it supposed to rain tomorrow? Models don’t look to enthusiastic.
If it rains at all it’ll probably just be some light stuff.
jasons2k

Monday night: 32
Tuesday night: 33
mckinne63

Interesting, on the KHOU weather forecast they show a 70% chance of rain today. But when you go the hourly it says 10 and 20 percent this morning.
djmike

Doesn’t look like any rain at all according to the rain map. Looks all north in NE TX and just light rain. Here Im not seeing anything. Also according to the wind barbs, fromt looks like it has cleared Beaumont. Wondering if the rain portion was a complete bust. We shall see... edit: NWS started us with 90% early this morning and it has dropped now to 50% chance of rain. They may be thinking same thing here in Beaumont. We’ll see.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
redneckweather

djmike wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 am Doesn’t look like any rain at all according to the rain map. Looks all north in NE TX and just light rain. Here Im not seeing anything. Also according to the wind barbs, fromt looks like it has cleared Beaumont. Wondering if the rain portion was a complete bust. We shall see... edit: NWS started us with 90% early this morning and it has dropped now to 50% chance of rain. They may be thinking same thing here in Beaumont. We’ll see.
No rain is a good thing.
jasons2k

It’s just cold, gray and drizzling here. I’m so ready for warm, sunny weather!!
mckinne63

jasons wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:01 am It’s just cold, gray and drizzling here. I’m so ready for warm, sunny weather!!
I will take at least some sunshine! I don't mind the chilly temps, the Wisconsin gal in me. ;)
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Recent model runs are seeming to come in a bit more aggressive with the shortwave out west that will be moving over TX tomorrow that could produce some light showers mainly south of I-10 and east of I-45. Ice pellet/sleet/graupel isn't out of the question.
Rather large inversion aloft as this is a shallow arctic air mass filtering in. Temperatures will be well above freezing (mid 40's) between 600 - 850mb (13,800 - 4800ft). Though, drops to below freezing between 850 - 950mb (13800 - 1800ft) then climbing back above freezing into the mid and upper 30's here from 950mb to the surface. This is for mid to late tomorrow afternoon by the way and I'm using the NAM model since NAM has been a bit more reliable and consistent this winter than the global runs.

Wouldn't get too hopeful though, dry air mass will be ushering in around that time so anything that does fall may not reach the ground. But for it being March, guess it's at least exciting to watch for the rare possibility.

Edit to Add:
Included the sounding I was looking at for Houston at that time before precip exits. Not the most promising sounding... but the chance certainly isn't 0%.
Attachments
NAM 18z
NAM 18z
Blake
Boomer Sooner
jasons2k

Latest forecast:
Monday night - 30
Tuesday night - 33

That’s gonna zap a lot of blooms. Will be covering everything up again. This really sux bad!!!
DoctorMu

degrees on tap for CLL the next 3 nights. That last pre-Spring Break or Spring Break cold snap before severe season. Serious advection today.

T&P for folks in AL.
unome

a forecast "high" today of 40, especially distressing because of all the new, tender vegetation popping out & trees in flower

1.png
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hard Freeze possible early tomorrow morning for locations along and N of HWY 105 and potentially for typical colder locations SW and W of Metro Houston...if clouds clear out as expected.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
CrashTestDummy

jasons wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:49 pm Latest forecast:
Monday night - 30
Tuesday night - 33

That’s gonna zap a lot of blooms. Will be covering everything up again. This really sux bad!!!
Hopefully, our grapefruit tree, which is covered in flower buds, will be protected enough to not have a problem. The stuff on the north side of the house, though, will all be covered tonight.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
  • Information