January 2019 - Active Progressive WX Pattern Ahead

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:28 pm
wxman57 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm Sorry, folks. No Arctic air coming down this weekend. There isn't any Arctic air in western Canada (source region for our fronts). It's only modified Canadian air from the Northern Plains. Perhaps a light freeze (32F) Sunday/Monday. It's a cold front, which we see quite often in winter, but that's it.

Here's the latest European model temperature forecast for north Houston (Bush). Just a little cold air.
Don't hate me because I was right 😁
No one is right or wrong yet. Plenty of time left to go.
jasons2k

I’m usually 1-2 degrees cooler than IAH. So 32 = 30 or 31 at the casa.
cperk

A broken clock is right twice a day. :D
Cpv17

I hope people don’t wait till Saturday to start prepping because it’s gonna be pretty chilly out there. Start today or tomorrow. Have it done by Saturday.
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm I hope people don’t wait till Saturday to start prepping because it’s gonna be pretty chilly out there. Start today or tomorrow. Have it done by Saturday.
Well I’m waiting for the rain to move out first. My frost protectors get very heavy if they get soaked, so I’ll wait until after and just bundle up and do it.
mcheer23
Pro Met
Pro Met

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:46 pm
snowman65 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:28 pm
wxman57 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm Sorry, folks. No Arctic air coming down this weekend. There isn't any Arctic air in western Canada (source region for our fronts). It's only modified Canadian air from the Northern Plains. Perhaps a light freeze (32F) Sunday/Monday. It's a cold front, which we see quite often in winter, but that's it.

Here's the latest European model temperature forecast for north Houston (Bush). Just a little cold air.
Don't hate me because I was right 😁
No one is right or wrong yet. Plenty of time left to go.
Not at all. Winter is coming. The front this weekend is just the start. I believe a chilly February is ahead.
jasons2k

My overnight lows this weekend were raised by the NWS to 31/31 in the afternoon update.
cperk

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm I hope people don’t wait till Saturday to start prepping because it’s gonna be pretty chilly out there. Start today or tomorrow. Have it done by Saturday.

I took the time today and made sure i had covers for my delicate plants.Not saying i need them this weekend,but i'm sure i will when all things are said and done.
Cromagnum

Boo this man! Boooooooooooo
TexasBreeze

Looks like February is the month of choice now for cold and winter precip here. All or nothing in that month. The rest of January looks like about even averages now nothing extreme. We were spoiled a year ago and it is hard to pull that off in consecutive years.
stormlover

Mmm never know still to early to make that statement
redneckweather

TexasBreeze wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm Looks like February is the month of choice now for cold and winter precip here. All or nothing in that month. The rest of January looks like about even averages now nothing extreme. We were spoiled a year ago and it is hard to pull that off in consecutive years.
Yep, the so called big pattern change was supposed to happen after the New Year, then it was mid January, and recently late January. Now people are looking into February.lol Same song n dance for us here in Southeast Texas.
Cpv17

redneckweather wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 pm
TexasBreeze wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm Looks like February is the month of choice now for cold and winter precip here. All or nothing in that month. The rest of January looks like about even averages now nothing extreme. We were spoiled a year ago and it is hard to pull that off in consecutive years.
Yep, the so called big pattern change was supposed to happen after the New Year, then it was mid January, and recently late January. Now people are looking into February.lol Same song n dance for us here in Southeast Texas.
Very true and I’m so frustrated with it. We’ll see though. Im not giving up yet.
kyzsl51

I’m just glad this isn’t close to being the winter of two years ago....having to turn on your ac full blast in February is quite depressing.
Kingwood36

Well thos board went dead pretty quick lol gotta live winters down here
TXWeatherMan

The FV3 has a good front this weekend and mid next week but after that it shows above average temps. What a difference a couple days can make.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It will feel like an early Spring day with highs in the low 70s and partly sunny skies this afternoon. Temps continue to look slightly warmer behind this weekends strong cold front but still have freezing temps from I-10 and areas to the N Sunday morning.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Models continue to show a series of fronts pushing south across the Central and Eastern part of the country for the remainder of the month. I think average to below average temperatures will prevail overall even with the coldest air going East of Texas. The key to watch here is how far (and fast) will the cold air track east versus south. On a separate note, normals for this time of the year for Houston are low 60s for the highs and mid to low 40s for the lows. While we had a warm streak in the beginning of the month, overall temperatures have been pretty close to normal so far.

KIAH201901plot.png
KIAH201901plot.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
CRASHWX

I have been advocating a big pattern change of below normal temps to the mean...I have cautioned the models and said they would flip...they flip and flop and flip. Earlier in the week the models went Withbthe cold and even manynof the pro’s started warning of damaging temps because of the model agreements...the pattern is changing and in the end this winter, I believe will be liked at as being a colder than average winter...will there be any frozen fun? The pattern suggests we have a better than normal chance...TIME WILL TELL
:ugeek: CRASHWX :ugeek:
jasons2k

redneckweather wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 pm
Happens almost every year. You just can’t trust the models beyond 5 days.

The NWS has now raised me overnight lows to 34/33 this weekend. Not even a freeze now. I’ll decide on Saturday if I need to cover anything up.
  • Information