MAY 2018 - Feelin Hot Hot Hot to end May

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

Wind shift is here. That's a bit early isn't it? Like WAY early??

No lightning with the line. Yes, "anemic" is a good description.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just some sprinkles with the outflow boundary from earlier S Central Texas storm complex. The actual 850mb front is creeping S into the Northern Hill Country now. The latest HRRR guidance suggests some possible redevelopment during the overnight hours as the front crawls toward the Coast early tomorrow morning.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Not a single drop here. And as soon as the line passes me it just explodes towards the airport and north of there. No fair!!
jasons2k

HRRR is still showing new development overnight to our NW and then moving across the area early to mid-morning. We shall see...
Cromagnum

Two fails in a row. Will we strikeout overnight?
jasons2k

So far, it looks pretty weak...
DoctorMu

New line of storms getting its act together from Prairie View to North Cleveland to Livingston, movingly slowly SE.

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morning in showers should be out of our hair later this morning giving way to a warm and partly cloudy afternoon. The rest of the upcoming week looks quiet in the Weather Department across our Region.

Starting tomorrow, our National Annual Hurricane Preparedness Week begins and continues through next Saturday. We can use this quiet weather period to turn our thoughts to making sure we and our Families are Prepared should Tropical Troubles come our way this Hurricane Season.

https://www.weather.gov/wrn/hurricane-preparedness
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

I measured .58” as the last bit of drizzle winds down. I’m glad we got something out of it! Onto the next...
Cromagnum

I really hope this isn't going to be another 2013 or 2011 type of summer. It was nice to have lots of cool spring days but it basically hasn't rained in March or April around here except for a couple of storms.
mckinne63

Just a few sprinkles this morning in Stafford. Just enough to have to turn on the windshield wipers on my way to the grocery store. It was cloudy, missed a good chance for some real rain. :(
ticka1

looks like rain vwill be getting less and less as the heat moves in
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Beautiful mostly sunny SE TX weather the rest of the weekend and through next week. The first 90s of the year will arrive next week. 27 days until Hurricane Season 2018. This is the time to be prepared and make plans should they be needed this season. Many lessons learned from Rita 2005, IKE 2008, and Harvey 2017.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 1.43.01 PM.png
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I emptied .51 inches of rain out of the gage today. Not sure we could've asked for better weather this afternoon. Low dew points and temperatures in the low to mid 80's in May? Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

Growing increasingly hotter and more humid throughout the week after a beautiful weekend. Chance of showers and a weak front next Sun/Mon, although confidence is low. Slightly cooler and drier temps after that.

For rain as fronts start to fizzle, it's popcorn daytime heating and sea breeze season starting from May to sometime in June before the Death Ridge makes it appearance. Last year the DR axis largely spared us. Hoping for another "milder" summer.
jasons2k

Yes, the spring has been beautiful, but as some of you have noted, the rainfall deficit is starting to really pile up. We really need some decent storm systems to come through or we're gonna all be hating life this summer.

Where is a good old-fashioned MCS when you need one? I can't remember the last time we had one...and making that statement on May 7th isn't a good thing.
unome

I think we're ok here as far as drought goes, for now - hard to tell what the next few months might bring. Last year I was wishing for rain & then we got 3 feet. I was happy when we got our 1st 90+ this year in May instead of earlier, it's the climate I remember from the late 80s/early 90s

so far, our reservoirs in SE TX look good - our friends in west TX could definitely use some

https://waterdatafortexas.org
djmike

Just a reminder that as part of a week-long tour along the Gulf Coast, the NOAA Hurricane Hunters will be making a stop at Jack Brooks Regional Airport TODAY in Beaumont/Nederland!!! Come tour two of the Hurricane Hunter aircraft, speak with the pilots, and walk through vendor exhibits from various local agencies and organizations. The event is FREE and the public is invited to attend from 2 pm to 5 pm! See you there!!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
BlueJay

It's a dry 91F currently! Hello early summer!
jasons2k

I had a toasty high of 94. The dry heat is really cranking up the evaporated rates. At least it’s still pleasant in the morning.
  • Information