April 2018- April To End Cooler/Drier Than Normal

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cromagnum

That's 4 days out, and folks lately have struggled with today/tomorrow. I'll look at the forecast Friday when I get home from work.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A warm and humid day with showers possible this afternoon and night. A cool front will move across SE TX tonight and early tomorrow morning bringing cooler and drier weather for Thursday and Friday. Rain and thunderstorm chances increase Friday night through Saturday night ahead of the next cold on Sunday.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am not seeing much hope for any meaningful rainfall this weekend and the severe thunderstorms chances even for Central Texas are diminishing day by day as the available moisture decreases and jet structures appear out of sync. Maybe by Friday things will change, but at this time a quarter to possibly an inch of rainfall with isolated higher amounts where any thunderstorms do develop along the cold front late Saturday night into early Sunday morning look reasonable as of Wednesday morning.
Attachments
04182018 48 Hour QPF 08Z 95ep48iwbg_fill.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Yeah, this is a case when the trend is not your friend if you want rain. Huge disappointment as this system looked so promising.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wednesday morning briefing from Jeff:

weak cool front will slide into the area on Thursday and stall near the coast resulting in cooler conditions both Thursday and Friday. Could see a few showers with the boundary Thursday, but strong capping aloft looks to prevent much in the way of thunderstorms.

Main forecast period continues to be this weekend as a strong upper level storm system will move across the state. Recent global model runs are still not in very good agreement on the exact track of this system nor the placement of critical upper level features which could either enhance or hinder thunderstorm development. Coastal boundary on Friday looks to only slowly return northward, so the quality of moisture return is also coming into question. Overall timing remains from late Saturday afternoon through early Sunday morning…with a tendency to support to slower solutions.

Severe threat and heavy rainfall still look possible with this system, but unsure on the coverage and potential severity at this range given the conflicting data on the placement of upper level features over the area Saturday evening. Hopefully things will firm up some over the next 24-48 hours.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

In 2016 and 2009 we had large amounts of rain and flooding . Saw it on my FB history.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:In 2016 and 2009 we had large amounts of rain and flooding . Saw it on my FB history.
Tax Day Flood was 2 years ago yesterday when I measured over 20 inches in 12 hours. In 2009, a stationary thunderstorm complex developed during the overnight hours and dropped almost 17 inches in about hours in my back yard flooding Hearthstone and Bear Creek Subdivisions among many other.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Jeff has also resorted to using the word "still" in his discussion. Famous last words before busting.
jasons2k

srainhoutx wrote:
ticka1 wrote:In 2016 and 2009 we had large amounts of rain and flooding . Saw it on my FB history.
Tax Day Flood was 2 years ago yesterday when I measured over 20 inches in 12 hours. In 2009, a stationary thunderstorm complex developed during the overnight hours and dropped almost 17 inches in about hours in my back yard flooding Hearthstone and Bear Creek Subdivisions among many other.
Anyone have time to dig-up this thread? It would be worth revisiting...
ccbluewater

Tax Day flood was an intense night! I remember when those storms started to explode to my SW and started training over my house at the time in Cypress/Copperfield area, the lightning was just relentless. My son was 2 years old at the time, and has been terrified of thunder/lightning ever since that night. A house a couple blocks away burned down, and a client we work with had his sons house burn down in Blackhorse from a lightning strike that night also. I believe we had 16.5 inches of rain from 8PM-6AM. Never thought we would see that much rain in a short period of time again for a while.. Wrong!
Ounce

jasons wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:
Anyone have time to dig-up this thread? It would be worth revisiting...
This starts on the Saturday before.
http://forums.khou.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 6&start=90
Page 10 of the April 2016 thread.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still uncertainty regarding the sensible weather this morning for Saturday into early Sunday morning. Our bowling ball upper low is nearing the California Coast and should be fully onshore later today. The ECMWF/GFS continue to decrease both severe storms and rainfall potential as the frontal boundary that has brought us cooler weather this morning may be a bit slower to return N to increase enough available moisture and instability before the upper low passes and a strong front arrives Sunday morning.

The latest NAM solutions are a bit more aggressive with rainfall and some stronger storms, but right now it appears to be an outlier solution. We will continue to monitor the trends through Saturday morning for any surprises in the sensible weather forecast which is particularly important with the Funeral for Barbara Bush on Saturday here in Houston.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Weekend Forecast
Attachments
Weekend Forecast Accuweather 04 19 18.PNG
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Severe Weather Forecast This Weekend
Attachments
Severe Forcast This Weekend 04 19.PNG
DoctorMu

Nearly Chamber of Commerce weather in College Station today. A little windy, but it's Texas and I'm used to that aspect.

Most of the precip. Sat/Sun is projected N of the Houston area on GFS and Canadian runs. Maybe 0.5-1 in. of rain in CLL.

jasons2k

Update from Jeff:
Models have finally started to come into better agreement on the weekend storm system and overall it appears the things will not be lining up to produce much severe weather nor excessive rainfall.

Moisture return will begin on Friday afternoon and a few showers can be expected across the area by Saturday morning as the moist layer deepens. A warm front will cross the area on Saturday and while thunderstorms will be possible with this feature…especially NNE/NE of Houston, overall instability is low on Saturday which should keep the severe threat low. The actual cold front will move across the area Saturday night with a line of showers and thunderstorms. While a couple of severe thunderstorms will be possible, still not seeing much instability and the strongest forcing (lift) is not really in phase with the surface front…this is somewhat similar to last weekend.

Rainfall amounts will average .50 to 1.5 inches over the area with isolated totals upwards of 2.0 inches. Not expecting any flooding concerns with these amounts given the generally dry ground conditions.

Showers will linger into early Sunday morning before a drier air mass moves into the region with clearing skies by midday Sunday.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another cool April morning with temps in the 50s across SE TX. Highs around 70F today with high and mid level clouds. The SPC has a marginal risk area for Central and N portions of SE TX Saturday evening and night.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 5.35.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 5.35.00 AM.png (16.56 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 201109
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
609 AM CDT Fri Apr 20 2018

.AVIATION [12Z TAF Issuance]...

VFR through most of the forecast period with high clouds.
Northeasterly winds expected to strengthen through the morning
and become easterly. Winds will continue to veer to southeasterly
tonight. Overnight, ceilings will come down, reaching MVFR around
or after midnight. Outside shot at some showers tomorrow morning,
but beyond the forecast period for all but IAH. Given uncertainty
in moistening the atmosphere, not quite enough confidence for a
PROB30 at this time.

Luchs
unome

we feel quite a bit chillier than forecast temp - wondering if we will hit our 72 forecast ?

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/mwmap2.php?map=zhu

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?pa ... colorbars=
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 201712
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
1212 PM CDT Fri Apr 20 2018

.AVIATION...
Mainly cirrus expected this afternoon into this evening but there