JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
don

Yep ive been watching that for the past day, chances are small but not out of the realm of possibilities, the RGEM shows that also and even the Euro tries to bring a little moisture in overnight...
BlueJay

Will we be able to uncover our plants before May? :?
DoctorMu

brooksgarner wrote:One thing to watch tonight with dew points in the teens and low 20s... any precip will wet bulb for a time before the warm air arrives.
1.PNG
Right. The dew point is only 15°F near Pleasanton, where light showers are forming south of San Antonio, moving NE. That moisture should arrive between College Station and Houston around 10 pm, if it continue on its current line.. Should be interesting.
davidiowx

BlueJay wrote:Will we be able to uncover our plants before May? :?
Hehehe yes, tomorrow. But who knows how long it will last (few days? a week?) before they are covered up again!

Interesting little note from Brooks earlier. I seem to recall models showing a little bit a frozen precip for today a few days ago then they backed off of it (I think or the main event a few days ago took over).
DoctorMu

davidiowx wrote:
Hehehe yes, tomorrow. But who knows how long it will last (few days? a week?) before they are covered up again!

Interesting little note from Brooks earlier. I seem to recall models showing a little bit a frozen precip for today a few days ago then they backed off of it (I think or the main event a few days ago took over).

Last week, some of the models were more confident of a Thursday event, rather than Monday.
davidiowx

DoctorMu wrote:
davidiowx wrote:

Last week, some of the models were more confident of a Thursday event, rather than Monday.
I would be perfectly ok with another nice sleet storm tonight. Although not likely, it would still be a cool little surprise!

We still have white patches around the building at work and I am sure there are plenty more in the shaded areas at the house. I can't remember the last time the white stuff stuck around longer than a few hours.
mckinne63

davidiowx wrote: We still have white patches around the building at work and I am sure there are plenty more in the shaded areas at the house. I can't remember the last time the white stuff stuck around longer than a few hours.
Same here! There was a large swatch of ice along the side of the building! Was not a walking path, but was still surprised to see it there this morning. We still have some ice on our glider cover in the back yard also. The white stuff in the yard is very gradually disappearing.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Temps much warmer in the upper 30s and 40s across SE TX this morning as showers move across the Middle and Upper TX coast. The warming trend will continue through the weekend clouds and showers.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.18.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.18.51 AM.png (171.71 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
snowman65

BRRR...Look at that, will ya...
Attachments
brrr.jpg
brrr.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
CrashTestDummy

You still have plants worth covering?!? I think Tuesday got pretty much everything that wasn't inside, but I haven't checked our greenhouse and tool shed yet. The frigid weather even got a hummingbird. :cry:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
jasons2k

Covers come off today. I'm afraid all that will be left above the ground is mush.

Still watching the long range for the Siberian dump.
harp

jasons wrote:Covers come off today. I'm afraid all that will be left above the ground is mush.

Still watching the long range for the Siberian dump.
Does that still look like a possibility?
MontgomeryCoWx

Lordy... that’s ummm, a pretty impressive set up for cold air and Texas storms.
Team #NeverSummer
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, this could ( only could..) raise some eyebrows as Srain would say.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More stuff to munch on...as we await the waning days of January...( and by the way, Srain speaks about this often when making his forecasts...the MJO..)
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cold January 2018 so far....
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 191821
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
1221 PM CST Fri Jan 19 2018

.AVIATION...
Coastal troughing tucked in over the Coastal Bend region finally
on the move east. Expect band of showers over the 66R-HOU-GLS to
gradually break up and shift eastward. Short term issues with
reduced visibility in showers for HOU/SGR/LBX/GLS. As the trough
moves east expect CIGS to lower across the region this
afternoon/evening with IFR/LIFR conditions to blanket the region
by 06z. Some uncertainty as to whether VLIFR conditions will
develop inland after 09z. CXO northward probably has the greatest
chances of VLIFR. Slow improvement 14-17z to IFR/MVFR with a few
showers mainly after 15z. Winds increasing during the afternoon
Saturday and becoming more southerly and probably even gusty.

&&
ticka1

tireman4 wrote:Well, this could ( only could..) raise some eyebrows as Srain would say.
okay can you explain what this picture is showing - please?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:
tireman4 wrote:Well, this could ( only could..) raise some eyebrows as Srain would say.
okay can you explain what this picture is showing - please?
The Japanese model suggests the first shot of Canadian Air around January 27th or so might be rather robust. I stated earlier this week that the various computer model schemes will struggle with the upcoming pattern heading into February. My hunch is the first half of February could be as cold as we just experienced possibly extending to the period when March begins. It's entirely too soon to even attempt to forecast precipitation beyond 3 to 5 days prior to any cold air as we just experienced this week. The potential upper air pattern does appear to be conducive for delivering much colder air that is building in Siberia and Asia into North America as February begins. Enjoy the warmer weather while it lasts. There are still some minor traces of sleet/snow in shady spots up here in NW Harris County this evening.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information