JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Judging by radar and satellite imagery, our little shortwave and it's burst of lifting should track along the I-10 Corridor and arrive in the Metro Houston area around 3 or 4 this afternoon. With all the reports I'm seeing West of us towards San Antonio, snow is the most likely p type.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote:Judging by radar and satellite imagery, our little shortwave and it's burst of lifting should track along the I-10 Corridor and arrive in the Metro Houston area around 3 or 4 this afternoon. With all the reports I'm seeing West of us towards San Antonio, snow is the most likely p type.
srain - do you think there's too much dry air around College Station for snow? Mostly light sleet and verga the past 2-3 hours. The dew point is down to 14°F.
Last edited by DoctorMu on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christinac2016

We have snow at Woodwind Village on Budde off of Sawdust! JUst coming down!!! Legit snow!
snowman65

TWC is saying 3-5 inches of snow expected in Orange...LOL...supposed to be 100% coverage...but rain only right now...
CAK

Big snow flakes Kingwood :D
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I left work early so that I wasn't trapped by Hobby Airport this afternoon. It's 26 degrees with a steady light sleet in SW Houston. Sleet is gathering at the base of our oak tree. Individual sleet pellets are rather small, as they're forming more from drizzle than light rain. No sign of any snowflakes yet.

Here's a movie of the sleet, along with a couple of pictures. I think I'm ready for summer now

http://wxman57.com/images/Sleeting.MOV

wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I left work early so that I wasn't trapped by Hobby Airport this afternoon. It's 26 degrees with a steady light sleet in SW Houston. Sleet is gathering at the base of our oak tree. Individual sleet pellets are rather small, as they're forming more from drizzle than light rain. No sign of any snowflakes yet.

Here's a movie of the sleet, along with a couple of pictures. The movie takes a minute to load before it will play. I think I'm ready for summer now

http://wxman57.com/images/Sleeting.MOV

http://wxman57.com/images/Sleet.JPG

http://wxman57.com/images/BBQ.JPG
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

DoctorMu wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Judging by radar and satellite imagery, our little shortwave and it's burst of lifting should track along the I-10 Corridor and arrive in the Metro Houston area around 3 or 4 this afternoon. With all the reports I'm seeing West of us towards San Antonio, snow is the most likely p type.
srain - do you think there's too much dry air around College Station for snow? Mostly light sleet and verga that past 2-3 hours. The dew point is down to 14°F.
HGX was mentioning your low dew points in College Station earlier and suspected you folks were going to dry out to quick for any meaningful significant snow.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
LightningBolt

All snow now in central Liberty County. Big, beautiful flakes!
DoctorMu

Texaspirate11

ICICLES AND SLEET IN THE BAY AREA
ROADS VERY SLIPPERY
WINTRY MIX
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
StormOne

Seeing reports of snow accumulating on roads in Kingwood.
A transplant from Houston to Lincoln, Nebraska.
ronyan

Significant power outages in this area including my house. Hope it comes back quick.
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote:
DoctorMu wrote:
srain - do you think there's too much dry air around College Station for snow? Mostly light sleet and verga that past 2-3 hours. The dew point is down to 14°F.
HGX was mentioning your low dew points in College Station earlier and suspected you folks were going to dry out to quick for any meaningful significant snow.

Was afraid of that. Wind chill and dew point are both about 12°F. Two to three dog nighter tonight.
DoctorMu

snowman65 wrote:TWC is saying 3-5 inches of snow expected in Orange...LOL...supposed to be 100% coverage...but rain only right now...

Beaumont is getting snow. Anything yet?
snowman65

DoctorMu wrote:
snowman65 wrote:TWC is saying 3-5 inches of snow expected in Orange...LOL...supposed to be 100% coverage...but rain only right now...

Beaumont is getting snow. Anything yet?
Just started briefly...big flakes mixed.......then slowed...assuming will pick back up....I don't see 3-5" in the future like TWC said, though....
BlueJay

I must say, watching it snow and being able to actually see it happen (as opposed to having it snow through the darkness of night) has been quite interesting, beautiful and nice.
unome

sleet mixed with snow & now changing over to big snowflakes here in Cypress ! parts of the rain gutters are overflowing with sleet, as it slides off the frozen-rain covered roof
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Scott Overpeck, lead forecaster for NWSHouston tweeted a moment ago that an airplane sounding of temperature/dewpoint at around 1:19PM (CST) this afternoon shows the profile has transitioned to at or all below 32F. Indicating most precipitation should fall as snow, with maybe some sleet. Here is the image -

Here is also a link to his tweet:
https://twitter.com/scottao11/status/953361048614113282
Attachments
Airplane sounding
Airplane sounding
Webp.net-resizeimage.png (176.98 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Blake
Boomer Sooner
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

It appears the shortwave with its final bands of precipitation is impacting Austin and Waller Counties heading generally E toward Houston. These final bands appear to have built S enough to give folks S of I-10 a shot at additional wintry precipitation.

I want to shift concerns toward tomorrow morning. A Hard Freeze Warning is likely coming shortly. Once we get past 4 to 5 PM, surface roads will begin to freeze. Temperatures tomorrow morning will be in the Upper Teens to Low 20's Area Wide. Black Ice is a significant travel issues. Highs tomorrow may struggle to reach the mid to upper 30's Region Wide. Do Not Drive tonight and tomorrow morning! The wet roadways are going to freeze over very quickly and be slow to melt until at least midday tomorrow. Please stay safe.

Thanks to all of you for your reports and observations. Many were passed along to HGX and they greatly appreciate those reports. To all that post regularly and to our longtime lurkers and the folks that finally registered and joined, thank you and welcome. We have an awesome team of neighbors across Texas/Louisiana and beyond that make our KHOU Weather Forum a high quality and well respected online Weather Community. Without all of you and your support, this wouldn't be possible.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information