JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
don

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see precip pop up in a couple of days once we get into range of the mesoscale models.
harp

don wrote:I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see precip pop up in a couple of days once we get into range of the mesoscale models.
Even the CMC dried up.
snowman65

I'm not seeing any drastic freezing numbers. Looking more like 3-4 days of pretty cold mornings but nothing to write home about.
don

harp wrote:
don wrote:I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see precip pop up in a couple of days once we get into range of the mesoscale models.
Even the CMC dried up.
The CMC dried up in our area, but it still shows a swath of frozen precip west of here, even the gfs shows small areas of light frozen precip around the Hill country,im not saying its likely we will get precip, im just saying i wouldn't be surprised because it has happened before, earlier this month and a better example would be December 2008.Just something to watch that's all.
harp

I hope you are right! :)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meanwhile all across the Metro Houston elevated roadways and bridges, TXDot Houston Regional Office is currently spreading de-icing brine. Give them room while they work.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Ounce

Question. So will the really cold air on Sunday lag the frontal passage or will the wind direction change be immediately followed by the really cold air...as the models indicate at this time.

Thanks and Happy New Year, y'all.
don

12z Euro now shows a wintry mix in south central Texas with snow in the Hill country fwiw. Interesting shift considering it was bone dry the last 2 runs..
cperk

Has anyone seen any consistency that would give us any idea what the beginning of the new year may bring.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

cperk wrote:Has anyone seen any consistency that would give us any idea what the beginning of the new year may bring.
It will be cold for several days across all of Southeast Texas. Hard freezes will be possible for multiple days with Tuesday/Wednesday struggling to get above freezing. Be prepared for up to 24 hours of freezing if we receive any precip and keep strong cloud cover. Definitely will be the coldest weather we have seen around here for a couple years now.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

Ounce wrote:Question. So will the really cold air on Sunday lag the frontal passage or will the wind direction change be immediately followed by the really cold air...as the models indicate at this time.

Download the app called My Radar on your desktop. It shows winds and temps that can be selected in the layers menu. It gives you great data to look at and pinpoint exactly where winds have changed and the temps directly behind this wind change or frontal boundary. It's also pretty much real time data that even a novice can decipher. I'm sure you can gaze upon ECMWF or GFS models, but that takes a little practice as you have to know what you're looking at with different heights.
I can tell you right now it's -9 in Williston North Dakota. I can also tell you it's -18 maybe 200 miles north of that location in Regina Canada. The wind or cold air is coming down what you hear so often as the Lee side of the Rockies, and believe me it's coming. Of course it'll be modified by the time it gets here, but it looks like some incredibly cold air.
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

Just looking at that app gives me data to come to a conclusion even a novice can read. You have 51F in Liberal Kansas. 19F in North Platte Nebraska, 51 in Cheyenne Wyoming and 3F Rapid City South Dakota. You can see exactly where the cold air is and its direction of travel.
jasons2k

My forecast low is 22 both Tue and Wed. Now I have to bring plants in and winterize my sprinklers. That’s a bummer. Can’t wait for spring to arrive.
Texaspirate11

jasons wrote:My forecast low is 22 both Tue and Wed. Now I have to bring plants in and winterize my sprinklers. That’s a bummer. Can’t wait for spring to arrive.
80 days til spring
152 til June 1st....
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Ounce

Heat Miser wrote:
Ounce wrote:Question. So will the really cold air on Sunday lag the frontal passage or will the wind direction change be immediately followed by the really cold air...as the models indicate at this time.

Download the app called My Radar on your desktop. It shows winds and temps that can be selected in the layers menu. It gives you great data to look at and pinpoint exactly where winds have changed and the temps directly behind this wind change or frontal boundary. It's also pretty much real time data that even a novice can decipher. I'm sure you can gaze upon ECMWF or GFS models, but that takes a little practice as you have to know what you're looking at with different heights.
I can tell you right now it's -9 in Williston North Dakota. I can also tell you it's -18 maybe 200 miles north of that location in Regina Canada. The wind or cold air is coming down what you hear so often as the Lee side of the Rockies, and believe me it's coming. Of course it'll be modified by the time it gets here, but it looks like some incredibly cold air.
Thanks much!
jasons2k

Texaspirate11 wrote:
jasons wrote:My forecast low is 22 both Tue and Wed. Now I have to bring plants in and winterize my sprinklers. That’s a bummer. Can’t wait for spring to arrive.
80 days til spring
152 til June 1st....
If we can get through the next six weeks of garbage I will be happy. Jan. 1 to about mid-February is my least favorite time of year. Once we get past the holidays, I am all done with the cold (unless there is snow, of course). I’d much rather be outside in the sun, than being cooped-up inside, looking out the window at a gray sky.
redneckweather

Wholeheartedly agree with you Jason. I love my seasonal weather for hunting and the holiday season but after the turn of the New Year, you can have it. Come on Spring time and flip flop weather!
MontgomeryCoWx

Not me! I’m in the process of expanding our business into Montana/Wyoming/Northern Idaho/Eastern Washington.

If all goes well, I plan to leave this area for Bozeman, MT next year. Of course, I’ll still post on here and give KHOU a far northern satellite data point ;).

I just can’t stand this humid/hot concrete swamp 9 months out of the year. Summer in Houston is downright depressing IMO.
Team #NeverSummer
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Not me! I’m in the process of expanding our business into Montana/Wyoming/Northern Idaho/Eastern Washington.

If all goes well, I plan to leave this area for Bozeman, MT next year. Of course, I’ll still post on here and give KHOU a far northern satellite data point ;).

I just can’t stand this humid/hot concrete swamp 9 months out of the year. Summer in Houston is downright depressing IMO.
Here here! It is horrible. I'm ok with heat June, July and August but then I'm over it.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Not me! I’m in the process of expanding our business into Montana/Wyoming/Northern Idaho/Eastern Washington.

Lucky you, I love Bozeman, MT! I often thought it would have been really cool to get my Master's up there (Montana State University), but I probably wouldn't have gotten through school successfully because I would always want to be outside hiking or white water rafting. Ha! Gorgeous college town though.
All of those states up north are beautiful. Took a summer road trip through all of those states a couple summers ago. Cold... but unlike our June, July, August heat we have to deal with down here, they just have to get through December, January, February.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
  • Information