January 2017 -Warming Trend To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
mcheer23
Pro Met
Pro Met

Lol. 12z is a joke. Okay GFS
davidiowx

mcheer23 wrote:Lol. 12z is a joke. Okay GFS
Not surprising one bit though. Models are going to flip flop as we near the event. I don't put any faith in anything they are saying this far out. Just follow the trends as we start early next week!
TexasBreeze

Drier and warmer has been a trend at least around here with that model. EC not impressed either.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

C08jtZxXcAIdycE.jpg

Ryan Maue‏ @RyanMaue
Hype meter just cranked up as ECMWF 12z finally has a model forecast w/crippling snowfall for next weekend. Fits the pattern
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

Ensembles are still picking up sustained cold from the 6th through the 9th. Precip is going in and out of the forecast...and note that today has shown expect a surprise wrinkle. I heard the sleet about 30 min ago...lasted about a minute, but still pretty cool.

CMC, Euro, Euro, even the dreaded TWC all have cold in place - convergence and agreement.

Anything is possible...although overrun and mixed rain/sleet is the default solution.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The afternoon updated Climate Prediction Center Day 6 to 10 Outlook suggests very cold Arctic air funneling down into Texas with increased chances of precipitation during the Outlook Period.
Attachments
610temp.new (17).gif
610prcp.new (15).gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

My prophetic abilities tell me that much if not most of us will see miserably cold air and drizzle/rain. To see anything in the frozen category would take a 100 mile trip to our north, maybe further.
And I'd just assume it stay that way. Freezing rain is miserable for all concerned.
Mark the date of this post, I'd like to be surprised.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heat Miser wrote:My prophetic abilities tell me that much if not most of us will see miserably cold air and drizzle/rain. To see anything in the frozen category would take a 100 mile trip to our north, maybe further.
And I'd just assume it stay that way. Freezing rain is miserable for all concerned.
Well Carmac The Great, you missed the sleet falling from the sky today along with all the other Professional Forecasters... :D

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

"Carnac The Magnificent"
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jasons wrote:"Carnac The Magnificent"
Attachments
Carnac.jpg
Carnac.jpg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 3974 times

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
BlueJay

Would one of the Carnacs please give me a heads up when it is necessary to do some serious plant coverings?
Thanks!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

BlueJay wrote:Would one of the Carnacs please give me a heads up when it is necessary to do some serious plant coverings?
Thanks!
Absolutely! We'll be monitoring things very carefully. Meanwhile let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy and Prosperous New Year. It's been a tough year for many of us. Many have experienced so much personal loss, be it weather related particularly back in the Tax Day Flood as well as other Flood Events and many of us have experienced family losses with deaths of our loved ones.

A New Year begins a new chapter and for me, it begins the 10th year watching over our KHOU Weather Forum. I am deeply humbled and honored to have been a part of this Weather Community over the years. Many of you are like family to me and I appreciate everyone's support throughout the years. Happy New Year Gang!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:My prophetic abilities tell me that much if not most of us will see miserably cold air and drizzle/rain. To see anything in the frozen category would take a 100 mile trip to our north, maybe further.
Well Carmac The Great, you missed the sleet falling from the sky today along with all the other Professional Forecasters... :D
It was a real shocker. No mistaking that sound on the roof!
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Its an honor to be part of the KHOU Weather Forum family Srainhoutx. We have all done a great job of keeping the public informed and warned over the years. Many kudos to the discussions we have everyday about weather. We have a great weather family.
MontgomeryCoWx

I come back on sunday and I'm bringing this below zero and snow vodka cold back with me! I don't want to leave but I will if it means HGX sees the freezer!
Team #NeverSummer
cperk

Katdaddy wrote:Its an honor to be part of the KHOU Weather Forum family Srainhoutx. We have all done a great job of keeping the public informed and warned over the years. Many kudos to the discussions we have everyday about weather. We have a great weather family.

I'll second that. :)
jasons2k

Happy New Year to all!! I am honored to enjoy weather watching with my local forum family. That 10 years seems like a blink. Next year will mark 20 years when many of us on Storm2k started posting on the Lowe's/Palm Beach Post Storm 97 forum. Amazing. Back then I had to go to the Tech library to get online...
Ounce

Ditto, y'all.
StormOne

00Z Euro runs still coming in, so can't go off of that yet.

00Z GFS is weird. It brings in cooler air Wednesday, then it lingers up until Saturday, when a possible warm front comes up and warms us almost drastically, then that gets pushed back on Sunday, which allows colder air to resume. Wish I could attach pics, but my lazy butt doesn't want to go through the effort to save a picture. However, the same GFS run brings a tropical-looking system to the Atlantic (not us) early the week after, so that GFS run not looking overly trustworthy right now. Definitely should continue to look at stuff and consider everything as a possibility.
A transplant from Houston to Lincoln, Nebraska.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Conce rn increasing for New Years Day into Monday that we may have severe thunderstorms across the Region dynamics appear to be coming to that all modes of severe weather may be possible. Strong gusty winds, damaging hail and heavy rainfall rates appear to be the primary threat, but cannot rule out an isolated tornado or two, particularly Sunday afternoon throughout the evening and overnight hours of early Monday. We will continue to monitor these short term trends very carefully on Sunday into Monday. Stay weather aware folks.
Attachments
day2otlk_0700 (4).gif
day3otlk_0830 (4).gif

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information