January 2017 -Warming Trend To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
sambucol

No, it was the temp on Weather Bug app. The measuring station is from the school district here at their maintenance department location.
tgal

Heat Miser wrote:
tgal wrote:FYI- There is a beautiful, fluffy snow falling in DFW right now. The kind we don't see in Houston. You can make out the shape of each snowflake. I am one happy camper
I beg to differ. We do in fact get fluffy snow down here, I have witnessed it on more than a few occasions.
Rare, but it does happen.
Turned out this mornings was lake effect snow. Maybe that is what was different about it or maybe it had been so long since I had seen it in NW Houston that I forgot :). What is happening now is more what I am used to seeing. Big and beautiful but not as light.

Sorry I wasn't clear
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

sambucol wrote:No, it was the temp on Weather Bug app. The measuring station is from the school district here at their maintenance department location.
That thermometer needs to be calibrated (or replaced), then. It appears to be reading way too cold.
sambucol

The district does make certain it's properly calibrated and maintained because the science depts use the information from the weather station in their classes.
jasons2k

I wonder if it's calibrated by truly trained qualified professionals...I don't know that maintenance staff is...
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting close (or at freezing) over the northwest part of Harris county. Latest model guidance suggests high pressure could settle over the northern counties of SE Texas which would allow for some strong cooling tonight. Both the GFS and ECMWF are now indicating 23-25 degree low for both KCLL and KIAH. Looks like a 10-15 hour freeze will be possible for those inside the metro. Take the necessary precautions now.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
jerryh421

I may be crazy but my fellow coworkers and myself saw tiny snow flurries here in the Westchase area. It only lasted for maybe a minute but you could tell it was certainly not rain. Maybe sleet? It looked more like little flurries to me though. Anyone else see anything like this?
DoctorMu

31.5°F IMBY.

32°F was the highest during daylight hours...although technically just after midnight, a high of 36°F was reached.
sambucol

jasons wrote:I wonder if it's calibrated by truly trained qualified professionals...I don't know that maintenance staff is...
The maintenance dept doesn't maintain the weather station. It's a person who has been trained to do it.
Ounce

wxman57 wrote:
sambucol wrote:No, it was the temp on Weather Bug app. The measuring station is from the school district here at their maintenance department location.
That thermometer needs to be calibrated (or replaced), then. It appears to be reading way too cold.
Same for my posting. It's the Weather Bug site at Duchesne Academy. I have no clue if it's being accurately maintained. It's reporting 31 degrees and a dewpoint of 29 degrees, right now.
jasons2k

From Jeff:

Hard Freeze Warning in effect for tonight generally from I-10 north (Harris County not included)

Freeze Warning all other counties.

Sleet, rain, snow ending across SE TX with the latest report of sleet/snow mix coming from the Dayton area of Liberty County. Radar shows last returns exiting into Galveston Bay at this time. Surface temperatures have continued to slowly cool today with almost all areas having remained in the low to mid 30’s. Freeze line has been along and NW of a line from Huntsville to Conroe to Cypress to Katy to Sugar Land where light accumulations of freezing rain on elevated surfaces has occurred. Freeze line will move SE early this evening with temperatures falling into the 20’s this evening over much of the area.

Will not make any adjustments to the expected overnight lows at this time…but emphasize that a damaging freeze is likely both Saturday morning and again Sunday morning and protective actions should be taken to protect pipes, pets/livestock, and plants. Make sure sprinkler backflow preventers are drained, shut off, and covered and all exposed outside pipes are covered.

While most roadways and bridges will completely dry this evening before temperatures fall cold enough to freeze, large puddles from the rainfall today will freeze overnight even on surface streets as temperatures fall well into the 20’s. Caution should be used if traveling even on surface streets, parking lots, ect tonight until about 1000am on Saturday morning.

Forecasted Low Temperatures:

Saturday Morning:
HWY 105 N: 20-24
US 59 N: 24-28
US 59 S: 29-33

Sunday Morning:
HWY 105 N: 18-21
US 59 N: 22-26
US 59 S: 26-30
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

jerryh421 wrote:I may be crazy but my fellow coworkers and myself saw tiny snow flurries here in the Westchase area. It only lasted for maybe a minute but you could tell it was certainly not rain. Maybe sleet? It looked more like little flurries to me though. Anyone else see anything like this?
I've heard multiple reports in that region.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasBreeze

GFS shows 22 for Iah and 20 for Hooks it has been a long long time...
Cromagnum

Unless cloud cover clears out quickly, we are not hitting those temps.
TexasBreeze

True, but the clearing line is just north of the area and racing southward. With the breeze though we could see 25 or so (central areas) instead maybe?
vci_guy2003

Tomorrow night is going to be colder than tonight .
jasons2k

It's clearing out here. I'm down to 30F and still breezy. This freeze is gonna be really brutal for the tropical plants. :(
CrashTestDummy

jasons wrote:It's clearing out here. I'm down to 30F and still breezy. This freeze is gonna be really brutal for the tropical plants. :(
Indeed. We're hoping for the best for our orange trees. They're on the south side of our garage. Fingers crossed.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

DoctorMu wrote:
I'm calling it. :mrgreen: We won't be above freezing tomorrow. Wintry mix, first as verga - icy bridges. Some real flakes. Then a three dog night.
You were pretty darn close.
Although in my area didn't see a pellet of ice or freezing rain nor freezing temps.
But, I'll give you the Prophet prize.
DoctorMu

Down to 23-24°F in CLL. Wind chill of 10°F.

We have a real shot at the teens. It may be 20 years since we've broken 20°F.
  • Information