FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON, TX
220 PM CDT THU JUN 18 2015

...The National Weather Service in Houston/Galveston has issued a flood warning
for the following rivers...

Cypress Creek Near Katy-Hockley Road affecting the following counties in
Texas...Harris...Waller

Bands of heavy rain associated with Tropical Storm Bill has produced 2 to 3
inches of rain with isolated areas of 4 to 5 inches over the upper Cypress Creek
watershed. Runoff from this rainfall is expected to produce minor flooding near
Katy-Hockley Road.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Ounce

The gift that keeps on giving.
nuby3

Ounce wrote:The gift that keeps on giving.
those cells North of Victoria seem completely determined to get into Grimes county. lol

sea breeze activity maybe?
Last edited by nuby3 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidiowx

Crazy how all of the rain has been N, S, E and W of Fort Bend county lol
Ounce

nuby3 wrote:
Ounce wrote:The gift that keeps on giving.
those cells North of Victoria seem completely determined to get into Grimes county. lol
With 59 closed south of El Campo, I would like to have one or two other options not under water so I can drive back to Houston from Corpus, tomorrow. I have the options planned out. But I'd hate to have to take I-37 to SA to pick up 10.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
341 PM CDT THU JUN 18 2015

HOUSTON TX-TRINITY TX-MADISON TX-WALKER TX-SAN JACINTO TX-
MONTGOMERY TX-GRIMES TX-
341 PM CDT THU JUN 18 2015

...THE FLOOD WARNING FOR URBAN AREAS AND SMALL STREAMS HAS EXPIRED
FOR HOUSTON...TRINITY...EASTERN MADISON...WALKER...NORTHWESTERN SAN
JACINTO...NORTHWESTERN MONTGOMERY AND GRIMES COUNTIES...

HEAVY RAINFALL HAS ENDED ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. EVEN THOUGH LIGHT
TO MODERATE RAINS WILL COME TO AN END LATER THIS AFTERNOON...MANY
AREA ROADS THAT HAVE ALREADY FLOODED COULD REMAIN IMPASSABLE AND
CLOSED THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT BEFORE CREEK AND RIVER LEVELS DROP
ENOUGH TO ALLOW WATER LEVELS TO RECEDE FROM THE ROADWAY. AT 330 PM
CDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS IN WALKER
AND TRINITY COUNTIES REPORTED MANY ROADS IMPASSABLE ACROSS PARTS OF
THE AREA. EVEN WITH LITTLE OR NO RAIN...WATER LEVELS MIGHT NOT
RECEDE UNTIL SOME TIME ON FRIDAY MORNING.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE
ROADWAY. THE WATER DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW YOUR CAR TO CROSS
SAFELY. MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND. TURN AROUND...DONT DROWN.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Ounce

Looks like the flow from across the border at Brownsville has stopped. And it looks like the blob from Kingsville to Cuero is raining itself out, too.
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gravity Waves?
If you look at the water vapor loop of that MCS interacting with "Bill", you may also notice the gravity wave racing southward "thru" the tropical depression -- seemingly able to propagate as if it's a low frequency radio wave, penetrating every cloud on its journey southward until its finally absorbed into the ridge to the south. So my question of the evening when it comes to "unexpected" forecast features overnight: Will that wave make it SE TX and trigger the tropical moisture to produce "surprise" overnight storms -- something that the models aren't picking up on? (Eye balling it, if it holds together, it wouldn't arrive until after 2am...)
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
TexasBreeze

I took a look at the satellite loops of the central U.S. and that is a really neat observation of that wave going right through the low pressure system of Bill! Interesting!
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TexasBreeze wrote:I took a look at the satellite loops of the central U.S. and that is a really neat observation of that wave going right through the low pressure system of Bill! Interesting!
Check out on my Facebook page (link below), the gravity waves originating from Cuba and traveling "against the grain" and free from influence, straight to the Yucatan, where they induced afternoon storms. Fascinating feature. They are pure, low frequency energy.
Broadcast Met
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
unome

brooksgarner wrote:Gravity Waves?
If you look at the water vapor loop of that MCS interacting with "Bill", you may also notice the gravity wave racing southward "thru" the tropical depression -- seemingly able to propagate as if it's a low frequency radio wave, penetrating every cloud on its journey southward until its finally absorbed into the ridge to the south. So my question of the evening when it comes to "unexpected" forecast features overnight: Will that wave make it SE TX and trigger the tropical moisture to produce "surprise" overnight storms -- something that the models aren't picking up on? (Eye balling it, if it holds together, it wouldn't arrive until after 2am...)
something's going to collide with the msc coming down from central tx

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/in ... K-N0Q-1-48
Last edited by unome on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ounce

brooksgarner wrote:
TexasBreeze wrote:I took a look at the satellite loops of the central U.S. and that is a really neat observation of that wave going right through the low pressure system of Bill! Interesting!
Check out on my Facebook page (link below), the gravity waves originating from Cuba and traveling "against the grain" and free from influence, straight to the Yucatan, where they induced afternoon storms. Fascinating feature. They are pure, low frequency energy.
As if the wave can go through walls, like a ghost. Is there a kryptonite or a speed bump to hinder its travel?
unome

the central tx storm literally "stole the thunder" from it's southern counterpart

previous hour

brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cool shot of the lightning... yes, to reply to the previous poster, the "ghost" comparison is good. Gravity waves seems to act by their own rules, immune to clouds or atmospheric flow direction in their trek.
Broadcast Met
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
Paul Robison

[quote[]="unome"]

Image[/quote]

doesn't look to me like it's holding together. But: would this mean severe weather for the overnight period?
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:[quote[]="unome"]

doesn't look to me like it's holding together. But: would this mean severe weather for the overnight period?[/quote]

I don't think that's what Brooks meant, and what collided with that MCS was an outflow boundary I believe. I still haven't seen the gravity wave Brooks was mentioning but I simply may not know what I'm supposed to be looking for. The MCS in central Texas will not impact our weather
Paul Robison

Then the worst we'd get from this "gravity wave" (if it affects SE TX at all) is maybe a little shot of heavy rain, nuby3. (Not a question)
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:Then the worst we'd get from this "gravity wave" (if it affects SE TX at all) is maybe a little shot of heavy rain, nuby3. (Not a question)
yep, I really don't think there's a high chance of it making an impact, I think he was just making an observation, and posing a hypothesis. if it rains tonight, we'll know why. ;) but more than likely it's gone until the sun comes back out, and normal scattered afternoon showers resume
Paul Robison

nuby3 wrote:
Paul Robison wrote:Then the worst we'd get from this "gravity wave" (if it affects SE TX at all) is maybe a little shot of heavy rain, nuby3. (Not a question)
yep, I really don't think there's a high chance of it making an impact, I think he was just making an observation, and posing a hypothesis. if it rains tonight, we'll know why. ;) but more than likely it's gone until the sun comes back out, and normal scattered afternoon showers resume
Back to basics.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

A sight for sore eyes for those that have been dealing with flooding, rising rivers and streams and sleepless nights. The San Antonio area is seeing some flooding this morning from the area of thunderstorms that Brooks was mentioning yesterday afternoon and training slow moving thunderstorms have remained almost stationary overnight. The Quantitative Precipitation Forecast for the next week suggests a very typical summer time pattern with heat of the day thunderstorm chances across our Region. The only fly in the ointment will be near the Rio Grande Valley where an inverted trough develops between a building SW United States ridge and the upper ridge across the SE United States. Showers and thunderstorms appear likely throughout the weekend in that area, but drier conditions set up elsewhere.

Rain chances begin to increase by mid next week as a return flow off the Gulf becomes established with a building ridge over the Central United States develops and a rather deep trough organizes to our East. The tropics look quiet across the Atlantic Basin and the Eastern Pacific Basin with no tropical development expected for the next week.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information