JUNE 2015 -Scattered Showers/Storms To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cromagnum

Folks along the Brazos River will likely have a lot of lingering issues from Bill. A lot of rain fell into the NW areas of the river. All the areas to the south are still full from the May Storms. All that water has to go somewhere.
nuby3

Cromagnum wrote:Folks along the Brazos River will likely have a lot of lingering issues from Bill. A lot of rain fell into the NW areas of the river. All the areas to the south are still full from the May Storms. All that water has to go somewhere.
still watching those storms east of corpus creeping toward Matagorda bay
Paul Robison

nuby3 wrote: still watching those storms east of corpus creeping toward Matagorda bay
Are they weakening or getting stronger? NWS says heavy rain threat may continue (subject to timing), but there's going to be a much lower severe threat.
Last edited by Paul Robison on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:
nuby3 wrote:
Cromagnum wrote:Folks along the Brazos River will likely have a lot of lingering issues from Bill. A lot of rain fell into the NW areas of the river. All the areas to the south are still full from the May Storms. All that water has to go somewhere.
still watching those storms east of corpus creeping toward Matagorda bay
Are they weakening or getting stronger?
staying the same lol. been accumulating around 2.5 - 3 inches per hour in those storms. getting pretty close to coming ashore just east of Matagorda.
Paul Robison

staying the same lol. been accumulating around 2.5 - 3 inches per hour in those storms. getting pretty close to coming ashore just east of Matagorda.[/quote]

How is that possible?
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:staying the same lol. been accumulating around 2.5 - 3 inches per hour in those storms. getting pretty close to coming ashore just east of Matagorda.
How is that possible?[/quote]

how is what possible? everything I said seems entirely possible to me. not sure what you're referring to
Paul Robison

nuby3 wrote:
Paul Robison wrote:staying the same lol. been accumulating around 2.5 - 3 inches per hour in those storms. getting pretty close to coming ashore just east of Matagorda.
How is that possible?
how is what possible? everything I said seems entirely possible to me. not sure what you're referring to[/quote]

the strength of these storms, I mean. What's holding them together? Are they coming to Houston?
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:
nuby3 wrote:
How is that possible?
how is what possible? everything I said seems entirely possible to me. not sure what you're referring to
the strength of these storms, I mean. What's holding them together? Are they coming to Houston?[/quote]

I'm sure it's part of the dynamics of the storm. look at the corpus Christi radar composite, you'll see. they've been holding stationary for hours, but with the storm moving, they're beginning to move north. been waiting to see if it might happen. interesting to see if it hold together at all, time will tell. they would have an awful lot of ground to cover to get anywhere near where I am
Paul Robison

I'm sure it's part of the dynamics of the storm. look at the corpus Christi radar composite, you'll see. they've been holding stationary for hours, but with the storm moving, they're beginning to move north. been waiting to see if it might happen. interesting to see if it hold together at all, time will tell. they would have an awful lot of ground to cover to get anywhere near where I am

I dunno. Looks like they're losing steam to me, Nuby3
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:

I dunno. Looks like they're losing steam to me, Nuby3
still dropping 2-3 inches of rain over the last hour. seem to be staying about the same to me. I don't know if they'll make it inland, but for now they are remaining persistant
Paul Robison

Can anyone please tell me what the current wind speeds/gusts are in the Houston Metro?
nuby3

Paul Robison wrote:Can anyone please tell me what the current wind speeds/gusts are in the Houston Metro?
what I find round town is wind speed of 20mph with gusts to 30mph from SE
nuby3

there is a serious waterspout offshore sse of CC right now.
redneckweather

We are getting higher than 30 mph up here near Lake Conroe. Power went out around 2:15. Total black out up and down the road I love on.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keeping an eye on the heavy training convective complex along the Middle Texas Coast. The feeder band is slowly shifting E from our Western zones toward Western Harris and Fort Bend Counties. The winds have increased significantly the past hour or so in NW Harris County. Gusting above 30 MPH. The Weather Prediction Center is suggesting an additional 2-5 inches of rainfall may be possible today across areas W of the I-45 Corridor. A Moderate Risk for Excessive Rainfall has been outlined basically W of I-45 with a High Risk for the Dallas area. A Slight Risk for Excessive Rainfall continues along and East of I-45. A Tornado Watch continues for Harris, Ft Bend, Brazoria, Montgomery, Walker Counties on to the West. The Brazos River Valley has been pummeled overnight with very heavy rainfall. Flash Flood Warnings continue for the Counties along that River. Very heavy thunderstorms are beginning to move inland in Matagorda County. Could be a rough morning commute. Also appears a meso low has developed near Victoria generally moving NE toward Metro Houston. A new feeder band is setting up across West Galveston Bay. That one will also need to be monitored this morning as well.

Looking ahead for the remainder of the week, the various computer schemes suggest an unsettled pattern will remain in place with a pesky shear axis and weakness continuing between the upper ridge to our East and additional mid/upper level moisture associated with Carlos being pulled NE across Mexico and Texas. Long fetch deep tropical moisture looks to continue streaming N along the Western periphery of the upper ridge across the SE United States. We may see a drying trend by early next week, but there are some indications additional moisture from the Western Caribbean may continue streaming into the Western Gulf and embedded shortwave disturbances move across the Central Plains bringing additional daytime showers and storms to our Region.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
nuby3

HERE IT COMES
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Not too much to add to Srain's post which is well stated as always.

TD Bill is located over NTX just SW of Waco this morning. Flash Flood Warnings continue for for counties W of Houston from a slow moving feeder that setup from Matagorda Bay to near College Station overnight. Very heavy tropical rains have developed over Matagorda Bay and offshore of the Middle TX Coast in the last few hours which are moving NE toward the Houston area while additional development is occurring across the Houston-Galveston areas currently. Tornado Watch set to expire at 7AM but the Flash Flood Watch will continue until at least 6PM today for SE TX. Models this morning are showing training feeder bands with high rainfall rates developing dumping 4-6" totals along the I-45 corridor and areas to the W while areas E of I-45 receive 1-3" totals. At least one more day to be weather aware regarding possible flooding conditions as deep tropical moisture feeds into TD Bill off the WGOM.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 5.30.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 5.30.04 AM.png (196.36 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
nuby3

rainfall accumulating 2-3 inches per hour still with the storms east of Victoria. still drifting east...
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Tornado Watch has been allowed to expire. A new Watch may be required later today. The area of convection with frequent lightning and torrential rainfall rates continues to slowly progress ENE toward Metro Houston. New convection is developing offshore of Corpus Christi feeding into the existing convective complex. Showers and thunderstorms appear to be increasing as additional feeder bands organize in the broad circulation of TD Bill. Getting a bit more concerned about the flooding potential across Metro Houston since the guidance is keeping copious amounts of moisture across our Region throughout today into tonight.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Stormrider

Somewhat concerned about that huge band of rain offshore. It looks poised to march up I-45 from Galveston toward points north.

Slightly off topic: I'm back!(SFX of crickets chirping) Thanks Strain and Texaspirate for the help!
  • Information