January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

davidiowx wrote:I was listening to the radio on my way into work and they were saying we will see the sun after lunch time and the temps will warm up :roll:

Looking at the radar, it certainly does not look like that will happen.. Unless all of that rain just fizzles out before moving further south.

What gives?
I was watching Channel 13 ( Sorry 11, wife is a Good Morning America fan, but not on today) and the freezing rain/sleet line is slowly matriculating south. It will take some time. Last time I saw the radar, it was slowly going past downtown Houston. It will get to you. Now, the pro mets can chime in here to help me with graphics.
redneckweather

Heavy sleet here just south of Lake Conroe Damn, way more than the last event. Everything is coated with ice and sleet. Also mixed in are very small snow grains but that does not count as a flurry. Still straining my eyes. lol It's 29 degrees here at my house. I'm hoping for some serious luck for a quick flurry of action to give me a dusting of snow as the moisture pulls out.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well stated Tireman! The Pro-Mets and NWS did an excellent job.
davidiowx

Well is that Low going to enhance the moisture? It looks like there is some really dry air filtering in from the West and will erode the precip.
jabcwb2

Thank you. I will continue to monitor this forum and head home at a point, I HOPE, before things get too bad.
TxJohn

I tried searching for a snow flurry...but didn't see one. Hopefully soon. There's some sleet...but it's very light...no ice.coating yet in my area
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

TXDOT reports bridges/overpasses on US 290 icing over Waller/Harris County line.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MontgomeryCoWx

Complete white out in Conroe of sleet. Heavy heavy sleet accumulating fast on 336.
Team #NeverSummer
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Here in Imperial Oaks (Rayford/Sawdust) it is heavy sleet at my house with snow mixed in. I mean it is really coming down hard. We also have had freezing rain all morning. I have icicles about 3 inches long all over the cars and house.
TeamPlayersBlue

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Complete white out in Conroe of sleet. Heavy heavy sleet accumulating fast on 336.

oh wow. Pics?
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Everything is nearly completely white (roof tops, cars and ground (flower beds) from sleet. It is freakin' pouring sleet here. Wow.
snowman65

I'm not seeing anything here in Orange like we did on Friday. Then, my vehicle was caked in ice. Really not seeing anything even falling today....so far.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It is coming down at a fast clip in Atascocita. I can hear it hit the roof. Quick look out with my weather eye...yes, it is sleeting. Confirmed
ticka1

ice here no sleet how long will precip last will temps raise above freezing and stay there?
jasons2k

Sleeting heavily here now. Will probably do a number on the roads.

Edit: Hi Candy - I'm in Imperial Oaks too. Yeah, it's coming down hard and it's going to be a LOT more than what we saw Friday.
Last edited by jasons2k on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Candy Cane wrote:Everything is nearly completely white (roof tops, cars and ground (flower beds) from sleet. It is freakin' pouring sleet here. Wow.
You know Candy, that line is moving south, I think. We ( Humble/Kingwood) just "might" get in on the heavy sleet action in the next hour.
TxJohn

So the dry air is gonna shut out the precip for us and we should see sunshine this evening....hmmm. Well in my area the clouds don't look quite moist and we only got sleet pallets....I wanted some snow.
Kingwood31

tireman4 wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:Everything is nearly completely white (roof tops, cars and ground (flower beds) from sleet. It is freakin' pouring sleet here. Wow.
You know Candy, that line is moving south, I think. We ( Humble/Kingwood) just "might" get in on the heavy sleet action in the next hour.
I'm getting some moderate sleet in kingwood now
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

John, shouldn't you be trolling someone on Facebook instead of offering little in the way of value to our discussions here on the Weather Forum? You been extremely active in constantly pointing out why this event is a total bust. It's getting old and fast.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

NWs is expanding the Winter Weather Advisory to include all counties and extending the coastal counties of Chambers, Galveston, Brazoria, Matagorda, Jackson, and Wharton until 200pm.

Temperatures continue to fall and the freezing line progressing southward. Radar trends are supporting a slightly more aggressive rainfall rate and this is confirmed with moderate to heavy sleet report from Conroe, Kingwood, and Cypress in the last hour.

So far ice formation has been limited to surfaces that are elevated: power lines, trees, vehicles, ect

TXDOT road crews are actively working ice on US 290 in Waller County on bridges and overpasses and on FM 1097 in Montgomery County over Lake Conroe.

With surface temperatures now along I-10 and north in the upper 20’s and low 30’s…not sure how much longer the bridges and overpasses are going to hold out.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information