jgreak

More closings confirmed for Tues and Wed:
Liberty ISD
Texas City ISD
Tarkington ISD
Dayton ISD
Cleveland ISD
snowman65

Our school cancelled for tomorrow as well, possibly Wed as well because whatever falls tomorrow will probably not have a chance to start thawing until late Wednesday, so the roads would still be an issue.
MRG93415

jgreak wrote:More closings confirmed for Tues and Wed:
Liberty ISD
Texas City ISD
Tarkington ISD
Dayton ISD
Cleveland ISD

WOW, I didnt think they would close this early...This is interesting...
TxJohn

No warning in effect still a watch.

I'm going with Tim Heller and Brooks Garner's forecasts.
mcheer23
Pro Met
Pro Met

TxJohn wrote:No warning in effect still a watch.

Warnings will be issued between 3 and 4pm.

Wharton JC all campuses are closed tuesday
ticka1

I pray for the sake of this board we never have a real winter event folks would just hyperventilate and probably passout. :mrgreen:

From what I have heard schools are closing for the safety of the kids and for parents to be able to make arrangements for their care if parents have to work. 99% of the time when schools close daycares close too - so either parents have to stay home or get someone to watch younger kids. :)
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

TxJohn wrote:No warning in effect still a watch.

Tim's forecast per facebook: may be a bust. Little to no ice or snow accumulations.

Brooks forecast: treacherous driving conditions and up to 2 inches of snow north of Houston and 1 inch of snow in the city with a glaze of ice.

Sooooo, which is it?
cristina6871

vci_guy2003 wrote:I don't see any way we are in the low to mid 20s during the day tomorrow.

I did this morning on the weather cast. The forecast was a high of 28 for Houston.
jasons2k

Remember forecasted highs are in a 24-hour period beginning at midnight.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

12z GFS has lower pops than the 00z along with warmer temps. The model shows a high of 40. The 12z NAM is the most robust with pops (67%) with a high of 37.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getall.pl?sta=KIAH

I'm kinda puzzled as to why there is no updates to the watches---not just for Houston but Louisiana too.
HouTXmetro

HOW did we go from Low 30's to 40 in one day of model runs a day before event?... I AM PUZZLED
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candy Cane wrote:12z GFS has lower pops than the 00z along with warmer temps. The model shows a high of 40. The 12z NAM is the most robust with pops (67%) with a high of 37.

I'm kinda puzzled as to why there is no updates to the watches---not just for Houston but Louisiana too.

Those details are being worked out at this hour. You can see from a logistical point that School Districts are already taking actions. I suspect around 3-4 PM Warnings for SE Texas and on E into Louisiana as well as Advisories for the Austin/San Antonio area will be issued.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

HouTXmetro wrote:HOW did we go from Low 30's to 40 in one day of model runs a day before event?... I AM PUZZLED
Everyone wear your flip flops, hawaiian shirts and shorts and the temps will keep raising :)
mcheer23
Pro Met
Pro Met

srainhoutx wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:12z GFS has lower pops than the 00z along with warmer temps. The model shows a high of 40. The 12z NAM is the most robust with pops (67%) with a high of 37.

Those details are being worked out at this hour. You can see from a logistical point that School Districts are already taking actions. I suspect around 3-4 PM Warnings for SE Texas and on E into Louisiana as well as Advisories for the Austin/San Antonio area will be issued.
Agree 100 percent.
TxJohn

This may be a bust....this event seems suspect. I'll hold my hope out for the next one in February
redneckweather

I'm gonna have to agree with the warmer look of the GFS. When I woke up this morning it was 50 degrees with the front just beginning to roll in. We have had gusty north winds for a couple hours up here now in Central Montgomery County and the temp has been holding at 55 degrees.
Kingwood31

I think everyone should step away from the board go have lunch and wait till the event starts before u call it a bust
Last edited by Kingwood31 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TxJohn

redneckweather wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with the warmer look of the GFS. When I woke up this morning it was 50 degrees with the front just beginning to roll in. We have had gusty north winds for a couple hours up here now in Central Montgomery County and the temp has been holding at 55 degrees.

I noticed this as well....the temp drop isn't as big as forecasted.

This whole thing is slowly falling to pieces. If anything it'll be a repeat of last Friday. Snow north of any precip falls. And a glaze of ice in Houston. A bit of sleet but not too much.
jabcwb2

Any chance everyone will add to their profile the area of town you live in? I'm just a lurker....it helps to understand what's happening a whole lot better!
THANKS!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

redneckweather wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with the warmer look of the GFS. When I woke up this morning it was 50 degrees with the front just beginning to roll in. We have had gusty north winds for a couple hours up here now in Central Montgomery County and the temp has been holding at 55 degrees.

The 850mb Arctic front is lagging a couple of hours behind the pre frontal trough. The actual 850mb front is arriving across the Hill Country at this hour. Temps in the Central Plains are in the single digits.
Attachments
01272014 18Z_metars_abi.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information