January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWS New Orleans issues Hard Freeze Warning for their entire forecast areas including Coastal Parishes and Counties in MS.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
vci_guy2003

Made it to 50, not bad! Not as cold as I thought it would be today
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWS Corpus Christi issues Freeze Warning for their entire forecast area. They have also issued a Wind Chill Advisory for the Corpus Christi area.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Texaspirate11

Whats taking HGX so long to put out the warning?
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
ticka1

since this is coming to fruitation - what does the next two weeks of january look like wx wise?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ticka, warming up mid week with rain/storm chances increasing into next weekend as a strong upper low/trough develops to our SW and sweeps E over Texas/Louisiana.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

I spent most of today finishing my freeze preps. I have freeze covers on the faucets and drained the sprinkler backflow.

I've done everything I can to save the tender palms. It's going to be rough, though. No doubt about it. I expect things to come down a few more degrees still before it's all said and done.

Time to clean-up, start a fire, watch some football and be glad I don't live in Wisconsin. Cheers!
cristina6871

Woodlands was in upper 60s this morning - by the time I left for the store mid morning it was already in the 40s. Winter yea!! :) live in apartment so no plants to cover - will leave faucet(s) dripping over night. Can't wait for next big cold front! Wish I could bottle this for when the 100+ degree days come - not fun.
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

Wish I could hibernate until Spring. :cry:
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

A very impressive US Weather Hazard Map this evening that we rarely see on such a wide scale. The expanse of the Wind Chill Warnings/Advisories as well as Hard Freeze Warnings extending from SE Texas to Central Florida tells us just how strong the Arctic air mass truly is.
Attachments
01052014 US Hazards.png

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TxJohn

Still expecting teens Tuesday?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good question, John. We have seen so many forecasts calling for clear skies so far this winter only to bust and remain cloudy with the close proximity of that pesky sub tropical jet nearby. There is a lot of cirrus currently over running Mexico and Texas from the Eastern Pacific and with a potential trough developing near the Lower Texas Coast/NE Mexico expected Tuesday, it's a wait and see situation I believe. We will see. Those old records don't fall easily after all.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

i am holding at 43 right noe thought for sure after the sun started dropping temps would drop.....have ths skies cleared yet
skidog40

is that pops or precip by edna
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Currently setting at 46F with some gusty winds at times. The high and mid level clouds gave us some nice skies this afternoon. N portions of the Brownsville CWA still have slight snow chances for Monday night and Tuesday morning.
TxJohn

Well IF the stubborn clouds are gonna make us miss weather in the teens...those clouds better produce some snow flurries.

No point of having clouds of it ain't got no moisture in them lol, clear out and let us enjoy our teens please!
harpman

Is it my imagination, or is there a spin on the southern edge of the baja that looks to be drifting east?
cisa

TxJohn wrote:Well IF the stubborn clouds are gonna make us miss weather in the teens...those clouds better produce some snow flurries.

No point of having clouds of it ain't got no moisture in them lol, clear out and let us enjoy our teens please!

I'm with you. If it's going to be this cold, it can at least be pretty and cold. :D it would be nice.
No rain, no rainbows.
TxJohn

Currently 42 and very windy.....we're supposed to be at freezing by midnight...hmmm
cisa

Srain, you were talking earlier about the long range forecast models setting up for another cold snap in a couple of weeks. Does it appear to be a similar setup to our current situation. Also, regarding tonight and tomorrow. It does look like moisture drifting in our general direction. Is that actually precip?
No rain, no rainbows.
  • Information