August - Warm and Dry Weather Returns To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texas Pirate

AND...........right in time for Labor Day and soaring temps!

We cant' go swimming in Galveston:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/17-Galve ... 80011.html
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morning e-mail from Jeff:

Little to speak about with respect to the weather this morning.

High pressure has built back over the region after a brief reprieve late last week into early this week allowing at least our coastal locations some decent rainfall. With high pressure back in control rain chances have fallen off to near zero and the high temperatures have been on the increase especially for those locations away from the coast that did not see much rainfall. Will continue to see temperatures increase into the middle to upper 90’s through the weekend with little to no chance of rainfall.

GFS and ECMWF advertise a potential weak cold frontal boundary to move into N TX early next week as the upper level ridge of high pressure begins to shift westward placing the area into weak northerly flow aloft. This boundary could act as a focus for thunderstorm development to our north which then moves down in the northerly steering flow into our region. Rain chances currently do not look overly high or widespread as moisture appears somewhat limited.

Note: Today marks 8 years since Hurricane Katrina crossed the US Gulf coast resulting in 108 billion dollars in damages and 1833 deaths. Katrina remains the costliest and most devastating hurricane to impact the US coastline.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
texoz

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
texoz wrote:Please tell me there's something in the 10 day forecast showing rain?

It's getting baaad again in Austin for heat/drought.

Makes one almost sympathize with Arizona Salazar. Squat.
Not-so-fun fact, since 2008 the AVERAGE high temp for the month of August in Austin is approximately 100.4 degrees.

Austin's average for number of 100 degree days per year is 12.
kayci

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
texoz wrote:Please tell me there's something in the 10 day forecast showing rain?

It's getting baaad again in Austin for heat/drought.

Makes one almost sympathize with Arizona Salazar. Squat.

Ed, I know you mean well and are very enthusiastic but... Some of us are here looking for layman's terms info when it comes to weather. I know that I'm not alone in saying that I have no idea what that graph is that you posted.... I'm not a genius when it comes to weather or forecasting, I just enjoy watching the weather... what it may or may not do. I enjoy reading the Mets opinions and radar explanations. But please, if you're gonna post a graph, please explain it to those of us who know not at what we're looking at.

Thanx
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Looking at the title of this thread, I didn't know "warm and dry weather" had left this month. However, I did measure about 1.7 inches of rain in August with about 5-6 rain "events". Most were 0.25" or less. None over .5".
cperk

What is that feature in the northeastern GOM.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A complex of storms headed W. It does look interesting and this is the time of year to watch the GOM.
cperk

Katdaddy wrote:A complex of storms headed W. It does look interesting and this is the time of year to watch the GOM.

Let's hope it can hold together,we can certainly use the rain.
Texas Pirate

I'm about to raise the white flag of surrender on this cane season....
:x
cperk

Texas Pirate wrote:I'm about to raise the white flag of surrender on this cane season....
:x

Raise the flag,but stay prepared.
  • Information