Greetings from the Great White North

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
SaskatchewanScreamer

Howdy from Southern Saskatchewan! :D

Was invited here by a couple of heat stroke damaged Houstonians that tend not to wear their Stetsons under your blazing sun......they actually want Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan cold and snow down there!?! :shock: :lol:

I gather the roll of the dice isn't in your favour but with the way the bipolar ENSO and all the other - and + oscilations have been riding on the roller coaster maybe, just maybe, the odds will be in your favour again.

Must admit I think the lot of you need serious counselling re wanting my winter down there! :lol:

Take care and I'll try my best to send it ALL your way! (y'all really do need some serious mental help! ;) )

SS.
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome SS. We're glad you've joined our wild and crazy community and we look forward to your updates from Western Canada. :mrgreen: My idea to enjoy the cold & snow is to just fly a little to our West to Northern New Mexico. There certainly is plenty of cold and snow here. It was 0 degrees F in Taos Valley this morning. Brrr...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
SaskatchewanScreamer

Gorgeous pic TSD er Srainhoutex! :D

Funny enough I had been mentioning to those Texans who wanted to see snow that they should head to our Rockies but it looks like a much closer location has been found.

That snow line is soooo close to you folks now. What a kick in the pants to have the ENSO change yet again! :roll:

Here's what we have here just waiting to be released

Record snow cover and the door has been slammed shut again. :cry:
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaskatchewanScreamer

But what we can send will soon be heading your way......

Alerts: Moose Jaw, SK

Alerts in effect for Moose Jaw, SK
Snowfall Warning

Issued at 4:14 AM CST Thursday 10 January 2013
Summary

Heavy snow with some blowing snow spreading through Southern Saskatchewan today.

Details

A cold front will continue to sweep through Southern Saskatchewan today. The passage of this front will suddenly replace the melting temperatures with near normal values. This cold front will also carry an intensifying area of snow to parts of Southern Saskatchewan today and tonight. The heavy snow will begin in Shaunavon area this morning the southern sections of the Leader and Swift Current regions. The snow will then spread eastward through the warned areas through the course of the day. Gusty northeast winds will also bring poor visibilities in blowing snow. Travellers are suggested to check with the Saskatchewan ministry of highways for the latest road conditions. :arrow: The heavy snow will ease tonight as the cold front slips into the Dakotas. Generally a total of 10 to 20 cm is expected by Friday morning. However, some snow will continue to fall Friday mainly in the southeast giving a further 2 to 6 cm. The strong north winds will continued to give poor visibilities in blowing snow, as well as plummeting temperatures and cold wind chills on Friday. The winds will ease Friday night.

Given that you folks are having a biblical deluge I'm sure you are thankful, this time, that it won't be bringing Saskatchewan's normal Arctic cold with it.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welcome SS! Looking forward to your posts and hope you can send a little of your extra snow down here ;)
Also I know you will keep us cool during the long hot TX Summer.
MontgomeryCoWx

She followed us over! Haha, welcome and turn on your blowers and direct them towards Houston please!
Team #NeverSummer
SaskatchewanScreamer

Well with the threat that we'd be cooling you folks off in the summer (by taking some of your heat :shock: :P: :mrgreen: : I'm guessing) I've now got my fans going FULL BLAST!!! :o

Am hoping all of this mess heads down there.....we truly don't need any more (but if it makes it you folks will have a world class skating rink just outside your front doors) :?

Moose Jaw, SK

Storm Watch

Heavy snow, strong winds blast the Prairies, northwestern Ontario… More »

Blizzard Warning :larrow: No Kidding I'm positive we've been having it already and it is only going to get worse.. :P

Summary

Blizzard conditions with near-zero visibility this evening and tonight.

Details

A cold front continues to sweep through Southern Saskatchewan this afternoon. The passage of this front will replace the warmer temperatures with near-normal values. This cold front will also carry an intensifying area of snow to parts of Southern Saskatchewan this evening and tonight. The heavy snow now covers much of the southern part of the province. Gusty northeast winds will also bring poor visibilities in blowing snow. The worst conditions are expected this evening and tonight in areas near and south of the Trans-Canada Highway from Moose Jaw westward toward the Alberta border, with near-zero visibilities likely in heavy snow and blowing snow. Travellers are advised to check with the Saskatchewan ministry of highways for the latest road conditions. The heavy snow will ease overnight as the cold front slips into the Dakotas. Generally a total of 10 to 20 cm is expected by Friday morning. However, some snow will continue to fall Friday, mainly in the southeast, giving a further 2 to 6 cm. The strong north winds will continue to give poor visibilities in blowing snow, as well as plummeting temperatures and cold wind chills on Friday. The winds will ease Friday night. A blizzard warning is issued when 4 or more hours of visibility at 400 metres or lower are expected due to snow and blowing snow, along with sustained winds of at least 40 km/h. A winter storm warning is issued when either 25 cm or more of snow is expected in 24 hours, or when 10 cm of snow is expected in 12 hours, and another warning type is expected. In this case, we expect upwards of 10 cm of snow as well as our blowing snow warning criterion to be exceeded, which is visibility of 800 metres or lower in blowing snow, with sustained winds of at least 30 km/h, lasting at least 3 hours.

Current Weather 16:45 CST
Snow LOTS AND LOTS OF THE STUFF.......please take it!!!!

-12°C

Snow

Feels Like : -23
Wind : N 35 km/h :idea: heading your way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Humidity : 84%
Pressure : 101.1 kPa
Visibility : 0.5 km

Sunrise : 8:59
Sunset : 17:20
Ceiling : 400
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaskatchewanScreamer

Please, please, please don't send any more (from anywhere in the STATES re Colorado low).
SaskatchewanScreamer

:twisted: Look all of this goodness :roll: could be yours for the taking

Polar bears on the loose ......... and the wolves are starting to circle for the kill :cry:

Now do you really want our temps and snow in HOUSTON :?:
SaskatchewanScreamer

What a prairie peep hates seeing.....blowing snow
SaskatchewanScreamer

And for those who haven't seen this elsewhere (and to help those LUCKY SOULS who have never seen the white stuff in person here you go:

I hope this will bring some cold your way ..... Lord knows it is surely blowing strong enough up here.
SaskatchewanScreamer

I'm really ticked...we had a whole slew of really good pics of what different areas in town looked like and that whole batch disappeared. :(
The city at top of the valley is much more snowed in then we are.

Of course the prairie winds shifted the white stuff all over the place. And the mall was open for business early this am.

Moose Jaw, SK

Storm Watch

Storm creates dangerous driving conditions in Prairies, NW. ON… More »
Current Weather 16:05 CST
Blowing snow

-18°C

Blowing snow

Feels Like : -29
Wind : NW 30 km/h

Humidity : 67%
Pressure : 102.5 kPa
Visibility : 12.9 km

Sunrise : 8:58
Sunset : 17:22
Ceiling : 7000 ft
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
txflagwaver

Welcome SS...my brother sent me his forecast for the weekend...

Major winter storm through Saturday morning.

Moderate to heavy snow will occur along and north of a valley city to Grand Forks to Baudette line. 4 to 7 inches of snow, with isolated higher amounts, are expected within this area. Strong north winds will result in blizzard conditions across the Devils Lake Basin and Northern Valley. Considerable blowing and drifting snow will result in reductions in visibility near zero at times, making travel extremely hazardous. Saturday will also be markedly colder with wind chill values from 15 to 35 below zero. Snow amounts will decrease to the south and east, but strong winds will contribute to reduced visibility.

Dense fog and freezing drizzle will linger into the evening hours for locations east of the Red River Valley before switching over to snow.

Winter Storm Warning now in effect until noon CST Saturday.

The Winter Storm Warning is now in effect until noon CST Saturday.

Moderate snow will occur. Snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches, with isolated higher amounts, are expected across Northwest Minnesota. Farther to the southwest, 2 to 5 inches are expected from Lisbon to Fargo to Fosston.
North winds will increase from 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 40 mph along and west of the Red River Valley. This will result in near blizzard conditions. Visibility will be reduced to one half mile in blowing and drifting snow, making travel extremely difficult. Winds will be slightly weaker east of the Red River Valley, but could still result in reduced visibility.
Wind Chill values will be 20 to 30 below zero Saturday morning.
SaskatchewanScreamer

Hi txflagwaver

I wonder if you brother's area is also breaking records? We've had around 90cm / 36 1/2 inches (I think) since the snow started falling a month or so ago. We've had melts so the snow has compacted but this new snowfall brought it all back. I live 1/2 way down the valley wall and we don't tend to get a lot of rain or snow right over the valley, however about 1/2 the city (mainly residential is out on the plains and they sure got it). My brother lives up there and he and his neighbours had about 6 feet in their back yards (however they are near the edge of town so also had fresh snow blow into their yards. I'm also thinking it breaks his heart to hear of your weather at this time of year. ;)

I'd also would like to say a belated thank you for the welcomes from those above re Srainhoutex, MontgomeryCoWx and Katdaddy...I've been in a bit of a rush lately so did rather quick posts above.
SaskatchewanScreamer

not bad out there today.....the wind isn't blowing for a change :)
Seeing the Texans getting excited over the temps they see in their models makes me think I should be heading somewhere, anywhere else (but not in the United States since you fellows too may be facing at least some of it).

Moose Jaw, SK

Current Weather 11:25 CST
A few clouds

-21°C

A few clouds

Feels Like : -21
Wind : NW 1 km/h

Humidity : 57%
Pressure : 102.7 kPa
Visibility : 16 km

Sunrise : 8:58
Sunset : 17:23
Ceiling : unlimited
SaskatchewanScreamer

Jack Frost at our windows.. (Moose Jaw)
(weather network)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Polar Bears outside our doors (Moose Jaw)

crappy roads

at least the Bobcat is happy
SaskatchewanScreamer

txflagwaver wrote:Welcome SS...my brother sent me his forecast for the weekend...
hmmmmmmm your location is wrong but, by any chance, do you also have thunder, sleet dreams??????
  • Information