September. Heavy Rainfall Event/Flooding Possible 9/28-30th

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
mckinne63

Skies appear to be clearing here in Stafford. Darn I was looking forward to a rainy day. But I'll take the rainy morning. We did need it.
jasons2k

ticka1 wrote:another bust for the books flash flood watch cancelled! this event was another non event for us other parts of texas that needed rain got it!
Well, unfortunately some of us knew the minute the FFW was issued this is about how this would play out:

1030 AM CDT SAT SEP 29 2012

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS CANCELLED...

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR SOUTHEAST TEXAS HAS BEEN CANCELLED. THE
THREAT FOR HEAVY RAIN HAS SIGNIFICANTLY DIMINISHED DUE TO A COUPLE
OF FACTORS. ONE IS THE OVERALL TREND OF RECENT RAINFALL. MOST OF
THE AREAWIDE RAIN HAS BECOME LIGHT IN BEHAVIOR AND...COUPLED WITH
THE FACT THAT DRY AIR IS MOVING IN FROM THE WEST...THIS AFTERNOON`S
RAINFALL SHOULD BE LIGHT AND NOT CAUSE AREAWIDE FLOODING. ANOTHER
REASON FOR CANCELLING THE FLOOD WATCH IS THE GENERAL NORTHEASTERN
MOVEMENT OF THE WEST TEXAS LOW AND THE NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS WARM
FRONTAL BOUNDARY. AS THE LOW MOVES OFF TO THE NORTHEAST...BETTER
UPPER LEVEL FORCING AND LOWER LEVEL FOCUS SHOULD REMAIN OFF TO THE
NORTH AND NORTHEAST OF THE FORECAST AREA.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:
jasons wrote:I hope I get nailed this time. I really do but I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like Harold Taft and his famous quote: "Never forecast snow in Texas until you see it falling outside your window" except replace snow with rain...hehe.

We have a dinner party planned Saturday evening. Book it... ;) :roll:
Jason called it and dinner party plans are salvaged... :mrgreen:
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
nuby3

I think this is not a bust yet, but we'll see. I'd like to add that I don't know anything, and I wouldn't listen to me if I were you. I think there is rain coming later.
jasons2k

srainhoutx wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:
jasons wrote:I hope I get nailed this time. I really do but I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like Harold Taft and his famous quote: "Never forecast snow in Texas until you see it falling outside your window" except replace snow with rain...hehe.
We have a dinner party planned Saturday evening. Book it... ;) :roll:
Jason called it and dinner party plans are salvaged... :mrgreen:
Well, I don't know about an 'all clear' for no rain or anything like that - it does appear we will get another round of some rain, maybe even some storms in the mix, but nothing like the massive dumping we were hoping for.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

We'll get another round of rain this evening ahead of the front. I already measured 0.81". General 1-2" across the area looks good. Nearly 1.5" in Pasadena so far.
SusieinLP

I got about 1 inch this morning. LaPorte Homecoming dance tonight so I'm glad about the potential for a flooding event has diminished...Wouldn't mind another early morning round tomorrow,though.
jasons2k

I'm getting a good shower here and radar shows storms blossoming to our SW poised to move across this afternoon. It looks like I stand to get at least an inch out of this, which I will gladly take :-)
jasons2k

A tornado warning was issued for Calhoun County. The storms to our W/SW do have some punch to them and something to keep a close watch on.
mckinne63

It's raining again in Stafford. A nice steady downpour.
ticka1

pouring at the house over 2 inches today in the rain gauge! will there be rain tomorrow?
jgreak

ticka1 wrote:pouring at the house over 2 inches today in the rain gauge! will there be rain tomorrow?
From what I understand, Ticka, I believe tonight will be the last of it - tomorrow should be clearing up and drying. The cool front should pass late this evening/early morning, and I believe that to be our last push of rain for the event.
biggerbyte

Porter, Montgomery County did not get left out with this event. Harris and Montgomery Counties are really getting a soaking. Top that off with a line of activity forming to the west and heading in our general direction. I hope everyone got something out of this event. Porter has been mostly dry for so long. Thank God for this.
jasons2k

This is turning out pretty good here. I'm well over an inch now and another line is forming over Harris county in addition to the line out west that still needs to come through. And the nice thing is that it's coming in waves, so the lawn can soak it all up :-)
jasons2k

YEAH!! My total was 1.95". Considering how the event unfolded, I am very pleased with this. This was a great rain for the lawn & garden since it didn't all fall at once. This brings my yearly total up to 33.87".
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

1.3" in SW Houston (Westbury). Makes nearly 56" for the year.
unome

over 1 1/4" yesterday at the nearest airport weather station here in Cypress

I don't see a single spot in TX that didn't get some rain over the last 3 days :)

jasons2k

Interesting to note the split in the precip areas, with the heaviest rains to the south and to the north, which was the model trend at the very end.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Picked up .83 here in my old rain bucket. All in all not too shabby and some across the far Western areas of the Lone Star State received more rainfall from this event than they did ALL of last year!

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
JackCruz

Wow....outside feels amazing 66 degrees and a strong wind making it feel like 62....perfection. Today was a beautiful fall day, a perfect fall day, it needs to stay like this until winter comes in.
  • Information