Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texas Pirate

Hello Everyone,

Today the 14th of November, is
Texas Winter Awareness Day
Good thing too, its a bit brisk out there.

Take a moment to review - from the Houston/GX NWS

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/winter/index.shtml

Also: for those of you who may have/know people up in the Northeast - there is ANOTHER Nor'easter
headed their way this coming week. :o
They just can't catch a break.

"because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim"™
Texas Pirate

I'd like to share with you two organizations that are in NY helping the disabled/elderly community
People's Relief and Portlight.

People's Relief has mapped out the buildings that need the most help or those that were trapped
in them - thought this would be of interest

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 4206&msa=0

Also information on People's Relief and Portlight.
According to Reeves Foundation, the situation for the disability/elderly community is worse than reported
(geez how did the media miss that?) :o

http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysis.o ... ney-island

Again, do you have a plan?
"because you're disabled, you dont have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

Hello Everyone

This weather is something to be grateful for- our friends in the NE are still trying to deal with Sandy
and the aftermath. Some towns are even wondering if they can rebuild, the destruction is that bad.

As I have been saying in previous posts, the disabled community have basically been left to die.
Poorly prepared, with little help from the city or FEMA, they were just left to their own devices.
And, they themselves had NO PLAN OF ACTION>

I urge you to read the following article.

Get mad, Get a plan.

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/d ... -1.4244571

Exerpt from article:

During disasters like Hurricane Sandy, "disabled people are really left to die. . . .It's really survival of the fittest," said Reginald Ragland, 59, who relies on a power wheelchair and is still living in a Middle Village nursing home while he waits for heat and hot water to be restored in his NYCHA apartment in Far Rockaway.

There's no official count of disabled people who died in the latest storm, but their stories are prominent in the news: John Paterno, 65, a legally blind man with cerebral palsy who was partially paralyzed, drowned in his Midland Beach home. Family members watched helplessly as Herminia St. John, 75, perished in her Gramercy Park apartment when the power outage stopped her oxygen machine.

Please make a plan. Please think: where would I go? what would I take? Dont end up being a stat. If they would even bother getting a stat.....just sayin. :o

Like to end on an up note: I wish you all a most bountiful Thanksgiving - giving thanks we live in Texas.
Giving thanks for being allowed to have this blog, I hope it has helped. Thanks KHOU and wonderful weather people here.

Here's to a most excellent Thanksgiving ..wx will be glorious... and please keep those who will not have their family/home or loved ones around due to Sandy, in your prayers. Also, the responders who are away from their families this Thanksgiving.

"because you're disabled, you dont have to be a victim." ™
Texas Pirate

Hello Everyone- been a while since I posted - hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving.
Now we're moving into the holiday season and WOW- we had "winter" this week
complete with freezing temps...anyone missing their flip flops yet? I am.

WIth our homes all bright and beautiful with the season upon us, I'd like to pass along some tips
to stay safe. With live Christmas trees, candles, lights and space heaters - some of this could
add up to fire hazards - sorry to be the grinch. :mrgreen:
Preparedness isn't just for cane season!

Here are some tips:

Please make sure your live Christmas Trees are watered throughout the holidays.
A dry Christmas tree is a disaster waiting to happen - only takes seconds to spread
and pretty soon - your home is all a blaze. I saw this plenty of times while running
fires with the RC in the bay area. WATER THAT TREE and keep candles away from them.

Make sure that if you do have candles - it's out of reach of young children.

Space heaters need to be watched also. They have a tendency to fall over and there goes your home.

Here is some tips from the City of Galveston:
(Excerpt from press release on a house fire with one fatality - however the info below is
important to share with our senior citizens and those who disabilties)

Galveston Fire Department Reminds Residents of Winter Fire Safety Guidelines

“As colder weather arrives, we remind residents to check their smoke detectors and be aware of fire hazards in their home,” stated Assistant Fire Chief Mike Wisko. “The presence of Christmas trees, interior and exterior lights, and space heaters all present fire safety issues in the home and we encourage residents to take extra precautions.”

Proper watering of real trees, unplugging lights and checking smoke detectors regularly are all steps that should be taken during the holiday season. Galveston Fire Department also offers a “Senior Smoke Busters” program, supplying senior island residents with free smoke detectors for their homes. Residents can contact (409) 797-3870 for additional information on this program.
“Space heaters are often to blame for residential fires and pose an obvious safety risk in a home,” Wisko concluded. “If they are the only means for heat in the home, make sure they are clear from combustible materials and have a front cover to reduce the risk of burn injury. Galveston Fire Department wants all island residents to be safe this holiday season.”

###

Enjoy the Season - check up on those who may need help - Spread the love, not the fires.

"because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim." ™
Last edited by Texas Pirate on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Pirate

Hello Everyone

Just dropped by to wish everyone a most lovely HOLIDAY SEASON and inclusive 2013 :mrgreen:

Be safe~Have Fun~Peace.
Stormrider

Happy Holidays to you, Texas Pirate. Thanks for raising weather preparedness for the for the elderly, disabled community.

I raise my glass of eggnog to you! :)
Texas Pirate

Thank you Storm rider - a clink of the grog to ye also...

Friends, as we get ready to celebrate all that we are grateful for
with family & friends. I urge you keep an eye on the weather:
Christmas Eve into Christmas morn: it could get nasty.

So we all may have to have our NOAA WX RADIOS on....
and hope SANTA has an umbrella.

Please read and pass this along to anyone you feel may need to know
to keep safe - lets care for each other:

Potential severe weather event on Christmas day...

A stalled frontal boundary is expected to slowly move north
across southeast Texas Monday night as a warm front. A strong
upper level storm system is also expected to move into Texas
Monday night and Tuesday morning. The airmass along and south of
the warm front is expected to be moist and unstable. Thunderstorms
are expected to develop in this airmass during the morning hours
of Christmas day. Given the strong wind shear with the upper level
system... organized thunderstorms that could produce tornadoes will
be possible. The main uncertainty with this system will be how
much instability develops and how far north the warm front pushes
in the morning hours. Dry air from the west may also push the
activity east during the late morning hours.

Still there are enough conditions working together to increase
the threat for severe weather on Christmas day. The main threat
exists from the Houston area northward to a College Station to
Lufkin line although coastal areas cannot be ruled out. The main
time frame for severe weather will be from about 3 am to noon on
Christmas day. Residents of southeast Texas are encouraged to
monitor forecasts for updates and to be prepared for the
possibility of severe weather.

"Because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim."™
Texas Pirate

Hello Friends

Just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful SAFE 2013.
We got some rainy weather in our forecast - a true gift from Mother Nature.
But, it will come New Years Eve when we are out and about.
Please be safe.

With the new year upon the horizon, make the resolution to have
AN EMERGENCY PLAN for YOU and YOUR FAMILY.
This is a good time to either start one (I can help) or go over the
plans you've made and tweek them. There is some good information on
this forum (hope i provided some) to keep you and yours as safe as possible.

Remember: NO plan leads to panic. And panicing can cause serious injuries to you
or loved ones with a disability.
PLAN today (I'll jump start your thinking plan)
Ask yourself (or if you're planning for someone with a disability:)

Where will we go?
Who will we stay with (if you MUST evacuate i.e. depend on electricity for LIFE)
What will we bring
How will we get there

If you need to get to a shelter
Do you know where your hub is, to get on a bus for evaucation?
Do you have the number to your local Emergency Managers Office?
Are you registered?
Do you know what to bring?
Do you have your important papers in one place?
Meds and Scripts?
Other neccesities to keep you ALIVE?
You have to also think of your service dogs too :D

If you can "hunker at home"
Do I have a generator?
Do I have sufficient food/water to sustain?
Do I have my meds
Do I have cash (remember ATM could be down)
NOAA WX RADIO and batteries?
etc...etc....

Lets start out the year prepared. For any emergency.
And pretty soon when cane season rolls around again - this will be a snap.
Cuz you've made the resolution to stay safe. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Have fun/be safe/Here's to an inclusive (NO CANE!) 2013

As always,
"because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim." ™
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

As always thanks for so much helpful information. I know the many viewers we get her are also very thankful for all the information you provide Texas Pirate!
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Texas Pirate

Thank you, Andrew. I appreciate it.

Well here we are 2013! Just got back from a couple of days in the beautiful hill country.
I guess I am getting back before the snow that they are predicting will fall there.

Speaking of wintery wx - we may see some sleet/winter mix coming up Thursday night/Friday!
Oh for the days of humidity and temps in the 90's - anyone? anyone? 8-)

Be safe -stay warm-if you use a heater of any kind, make sure you don't leave it unattended,
they can fall over.

Oh June where are you? :D

"because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim."
Texas Pirate

Hello Friends

Well as I was stating yesterday, I am NOT a cold wx. fan.
I did just get this from the Governors Committee for People with Disabilities in Austin
reminding us that the COLD IS HERE. :lol:

There are some wonderful tips for the disability community. Remember
those in the community who may be paralyzed, wheelchair users, have service dogs or
elderly, may be more vulnerable to this cold wx upon us. Please share this with those
you love (snuggle!) and help make everyone safe.

As you know this IS Texas and next week, we will turn our attention to some
possible stormy wx coming in.

In the meantime: stay warm/snuggle up/share the info.

Texans with Disabilities Preparedness for Cold Weather

Some Texans with disabilities are particularly vulnerable to exposure from cold and freezing temperatures, especially Texans who use a wheelchair, are paralyzed, use a service dog, or have sensory disabilities. The following suggestions may be helpful.
Suggestions for Keeping Safe and Warm This Winter
• Organize activities outside of your home so you go out in the warmest part of the day.
• Texans who are paralyzed from the chest or waist down and individuals who have difficulty sensing and maintaining heat in their extremities are at risk for severe frostbite and need to protect their feet, pelvic areas, and hands because of circulation problems. It is important to dress for the weather by wearing several layers of clothes, keeping your head, neck, and chest covered with scarves, and wearing two pairs of thick socks under lined boots. Texans using a wheelchair should wrap a blanket over their pelvic region and limit their amount of time outside.
• To enable the full functioning of driving adaptation equipment in motor vehicles, allow your vehicle to warm up before you get in it.
• Service animals should wear a coat or cape underneath their regular harnesses and should sit or lay on blankets to protect against cold in your vehicle or on cold floors in the vehicle or on cold floors inside your home or place of destination. Sometimes it is helpful in snow to protect your dog’s paws with boots or be sure to warm feet and clean any debris once inside.
• Pneumatic tires provide better traction for wheelchairs on icy surfaces. Tires for dirt bikes (sold through bicycle shops) can be used as an alternative on icy surfaces.
• Ramps should be cleared of ice by using sand or cat litter, as rock salt is poisonous to service dogs. Rock salt can also be slippery for certain types of mobility aides.
• Keep antifreeze away from your service dog and all other pets since it is deadly to animals. Antifreeze’s appealing smell and taste often tempt animals. Ensure that antifreeze is stored well away from your service dogs, pets, and children. Ensure antifreeze spills are completely cleaned up and leaks are immediately repaired.
• Freezing rain will stick to canes, walkers, fore arm cuffs, and wheelchairs, making the metal parts slippery and cold to touch. Driving gloves which grip can be helpful.
• When returning wheelchairs to vehicles, it is important to first remove the tires and shake the debris and ice off of them. The tire rims, and other metal parts that may have any salt or other de-icing chemicals on them need to be wiped off to avoid rust on the metal parts.
• Prepare a back-up plan for loss of electricity if you use a ventilator or oxygen.
• Keep phone numbers handy for family and friends to call for help if needed.
Public Health Interventions
Helping educate communities about preventive steps in advance of winter and once a storm has begun will help reduce the impact of the storm. Winter storm preparation activities should include:
• Home winterization activities (insulating pipes, installing storm windows).
• Collecting winter clothing and supplies such as extra blankets, warm coats and clothes, water-resistant boots, hats and mittens.
• Assembling a disaster supplies kit containing a first aid kit, battery powered weather radio, flashlight, and extra batteries.
• Stocking canned food, non-electric can opener, and bottled water.
• Winterizing vehicles, keeping gas tank full, and assembling a disaster supplies car kit.
• Staying away from downed power lines.

Winter Weather Checklists

• Stock up on emergency supplies for communication, food, safety, heating, and transportation in case a storm hits.
Communication Checklist
• Make sure you have at least one of the following in case there is a power failure:
o Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio (for listening to local emergency instructions). Have extra batteries.
o National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio receiver (for listening to National Weather Service broadcasts). See www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr for more information.
• Find out how your community warns the public about severe weather:
o Siren
o Radio
o TV
o Social Media
• Listen to emergency broadcasts.
• Know what winter storm warning terms mean:
o Winter weather advisory: expect winter weather conditions to cause inconvenience and hazards.
o Frost/freeze warning: expect below-freezing temperatures.
o Winter storm watch: be alert; a storm is likely.
o Winter storm warning: take action; the storm is in or entering the area.
o Blizzard warning: seek refuge immediately! Snow and strong winds, near-zero visibility, deep snow drifts, and life-threatening wind chill.
Food and Safety Checklist
Have a week’s worth of food and safety supplies. If you live far from other people, have more supplies on hand.
• Drinking water
• Canned/no-cook food (bread, crackers, dried fruits)
• Non-electric can opener
• Baby food and formula (if baby in the household)
• Prescription drugs and other medicine
• First-aid kit
• Supply of cat litter or bag of sand to add traction on walkways
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• Battery-powered lamps or lanterns
(To prevent the risk of fire, avoid using candles.)
Water Checklist
• Leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously.
• Install UL approved carbon monoxide detectors.
• Keep the indoor temperature warm.
• Allow more heated air near pipes. Open kitchen cabinet doors under the kitchen sink.
• If your pipes do freeze, do not thaw them with a torch. Thaw the pipes slowly with warm air from an electric hair dryer.
• If you cannot thaw your pipes, or if the pipes have broken open, use bottled water or get water from a neighbor’s home.
• Have bottled water on hand.
• In an emergency—if no other water is available—snow can be melted for water. Bringing water to a rolling boil for one minute will kill most germs but won’t get rid of chemicals sometimes found in snow.
Heating Checklist
• Have at least one of the following heat sources in case the power goes out:
o Fireplace with plenty of dry firewood or gas log fireplace
o Portable space heaters or kerosene heaters
• Check with your local fire department to make sure that kerosene heaters are legal in your area.
• Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
• Use electric space heaters with
o automatic shut-off switches and
o non-glowing elements.
• Keep heat sources at least 3 feet away from furniture and drapes.
• Never leave children unattended near a space heater.
• Have the following safety equipment:
o Chemical fire extinguisher
o Smoke alarm in working order (Check once a month and change batteries once a year.)
o Carbon monoxide detector
• Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
o Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet.
o Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.
o Use individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords to plug in other appliances.
Cooking and Lighting Checklist
• Never use charcoal grills or portable gas camp stove indoors—the fumes are deadly.
• Use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns.
• Avoid using candles.
• Never leave lit candles unattended.
Car and Emergency Checklist
• Avoid traveling when the weather service has issued advisories.
• Cell phone; portable charger and extra batteries
• Shovel
• Windshield scraper
• Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio (and extra batteries)
• Flashlight (and extra batteries)
• Water
• Snack food
• Extra hats, coats, mittens
• Blankets
• Chains or rope
• Tire chains
• Canned compressed air with sealant (emergency tire repair)
• Road sand
• Booster cables
• Emergency flares
• Bright colored flag
• Help signs
• First aid kit
• Tool kit
• Road maps
• Compass
• Waterproof matches and a can (to melt snow for water)
• Paper towels
Safety rules to follow in case you become stranded in your car.
• Stay with your car unless safety is no more than 100 yards away, but continue to move arms and legs.

• Stay visible by putting bright cloth on the antenna, turning on the inside overhead light (when engine is running), and raising the hood when snow stops falling.

• Run the engine and heater only 10 minutes every hour.

• Keep a downwind window fully opened or opened just a crack.

• Make sure the tailpipe is not blocked.
References:
 Full PDF of Extreme Cold: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/ ... _guide.pdf
 HTML files of Extreme Cold: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/guide.asp
 Information on Weatherization and Utility Bill Help in Texas http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/texans.htm
Texas Pirate

Happy SUNday my friends - yup if you want to go outside and soak it up do it TODAY!
Tomorrow (Monday, the 7th) clouds start to roll in leading to a possible VERY RAINY scenerio for us
on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Want y'all to keep your heads up with this possible FLOODING event for us.
I took this from member Katdaddy in another forum, and I hope he doesn't mind the booty:
Please READ and inform others. Thanks.

A significant weather event to unfold across eastern half of TX during the Tuesday-Wednesday time frame. Rapid storm motion, training cells, high rainfall rates, and high shear values will lead to a flash flood and tornado threat. Flash Flood Watches will likely be required Tuesday and SPC has S and SE TX in slight risk area Wednesday. I would not be surprised to see a moderate risk issued in later SPC outlooks. Travel will likely become hazardous Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday. As Srain says, "Stay tuned!"

Lets keep monitoring the weather this week and I hope this doesn't verify, but being warned & prepared is the key.
Blessings to y'all this Sunday.
Texas Pirate

Happy Monday (not an oxymoron)
Our Houston/Galveston NWS has posted Flood watches for our area beginning Tuesday into Wednesday.
Time to monitor and stay on top of the weather folks. Some areas may see 5-7 inches (I believe west of Houston)
however, Houston and the bay area could get alot of rain - street flooding can be a factor too....

Here is watch statement:

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A * FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR A PORTION OF SOUTHEAST TEXAS...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...AUSTIN...BRAZORIA...BRAZOS...

BURLESON...CHAMBERS...COLORADO...FORT BEND...GALVESTON...

GRIMES...HARRIS...HOUSTON...JACKSON...LIBERTY...MADISON...

MATAGORDA...MONTGOMERY...POLK...SAN JACINTO...TRINITY...

WALKER...WALLER...WASHINGTON AND WHARTON. * FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING * RAIN IS EXPECTED TO START EARLY TUESDAY NEAR THE COAST AND THEN EXPAND NORTHWARD. A WARM FRONT WILL MOVE INTO THE COASTAL REGION LATE TUESDAY AND WILL HELP TO FOCUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE WESTERN AREAS. RAINFALL WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT. WIDESPREAD RAINFALL OVER SOUTHEAST TEXAS WILL AVERAGE 2 TO 3 INCHES WITH SOME AREAS RECEIVING 5 TO 7 INCH AMOUNTS. * GIVEN THE LONG DURATION OF THE RAINFALL STREET FLOODING WILL BECOME MORE COMMON TUESDAY NIGHT AND WORSEN WEDNESDAY MORNING. TRAVEL MAY BE SEVERELY IMPACTED. MAINSTEM RIVER AND BAYOU FLOODING MAY BECOME INVOLVED LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY WITH THE LARGE AREAL EXTENT OF THE RAINFALL AND THE HIGH POTENTIAL FOR THE GROUND TO QUICKLY SATURATE AND RAIN TO RUNOFF.

Please stay safe - and here's a link about flooding information for our NWS:

http://tadd.weather.gov/resources/TADD_6_Arial.pdf
Texas Pirate

HELLO ^ From Foggy Bay Area....
Wish I knew how to post pictures on here!

Hope y'all are staying safe & dry. Just a reminder from the good folks over at the NWS we're still under a FLOOD WATCH
through Wednesday evening!

Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Wednesday
evening... :o

The Flash Flood Watch continues for

* a portion of southeast Texas... including the following
counties... Austin... Brazoria... Brazos... Burleson... Chambers...
Colorado... Fort Bend... Galveston... Grimes... Harris... Houston...
Jackson... Liberty... Madison... Matagorda... Montgomery... Polk...
San Jacinto... Trinity... Walker... Waller... Washington and
Wharton.

* Through Wednesday evening

* periods of rain will continue today. Rain and thunderstorms
producing locally heavy rainfall are likely mainly tonight and
Wednesday. The rainfall event is expected to taper off by
Wednesday evening. Widespread rainfall will average 2 to 3
inches with isolated amounts of 5 to 7 inches possible.

* Given the long duration of the rainfall event... street
flooding may become common tonight Wednesday morning and
travel may be severely impacted. Mainstem river and bayou
flooding may become involved late tonight and Wednesday with
the large areal extent of the rainfall and the high potential
for the ground to quickly saturate and rain to runoff.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.

If possible avoid travel Tuesday night and Wednesday and expect
delays if travel cannot be put off to a later time.

You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
as flash flood warnings are issued.

Some heavy rains may come in tonight- get those NOAA wx radios ON
You have one, right?
Texas Pirate

Happy WET WEDNESDAY

One more day of this lovely rain fall - grateful our area didn't get the deluge predicted.
I know NORTH/NORTHWEST/HILL COUNTRY got the brunt.....
(think of the lovely bluebonnet season we will have this year!)

Here is,so far, the rain totals we have received throughout SE TX.
Hope you are safe and dry.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=FTWHYDHGX
Texas Pirate

Okay, its Sunday and its not living up to its name 'SUN"
we've seen some dreary rainy days so far. But for the upside in all of this,
the blue bonnets should ROCK this Spring. :D

While the wx models are battling it out over our winter weather pattern this week,
I will just simply say, "it's winter". It will be cold. We may see sleet, we will see rain
and the cold temps may make some of us yearn for the days of flip flops.
Soon enough.

Flu is rampant. Hope you got your flu shot.
People are coughing and sniffly.

Yeah, its winter.
Will update later this week.

Go Texans.
Texas Pirate

BRRRRR..where is the sun?
:evil:

Some good information from my friends up in Austin

Office of the Governor
Committee for People with Disabilities
Austin

People at High Risk of Developing Flu–Related Complications

Currently, 47 states are reporting widespread flu activity, according to the latest data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Typically flu season peaks in January and February. This year the illness hit about a month ahead of schedule, CDC experts said.

Health officials are urging people with disabilities to be especially vigilant. While no more likely to get the flu than typically developing individuals, those with neurologic conditions like intellectual disability and cerebral palsy are more prone to hospitalization and even death as a result of the illness.

“We’re seeing similar patterns that we have seen in the past which is that people with neurologic conditions are at higher risk for complications,” said Georgina Peacock, a developmental-behavioral pediatrician at the CDC, who indicated that those within this population should be on “high alert.”

Specifically, Peacock said that people with disabilities and their caregivers should make sure they’ve gotten a flu shot to help ward off the virus. Additionally, if flu symptoms like cough and fever present, those with disabilities should contact their doctor immediately. Early treatment with antiviral medication can make the illness less severe, experts say.

So far this flu season, 20 children and an unknown number of adults have died from the flu. And, at least 22 children and 84 adults with neurologic disorders have been hospitalized, federal data indicates.

CDC officials say they have no way to predict if flu cases will continue to increase or if they will taper off.

“The only thing predictable about flu is that it’s unpredictable,” said Tom Frieden, director of the CDC. “Only time will tell us how long our season will last and how moderate or how severe this season will be in the end.”
•CDC: People at High Risk for Flu Complications: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm
•What is the current flu activity level in the U.S.? http://www.flu.gov/about_the_flu/current_flu/index.html#
•What You Should Know About the 2012-2013 Flu Season: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu ... 2-2013.htm
•Vaccine Finder by Zip Code: http://www.flu.gov/#

Bundle up, take care, get your flu shot .... hopefully this weekend we will see the SUN again!
Texas Pirate

Today I learned on a conference call dealing with Emergency Preparedness and People with Intellectual Disabilities the following stats.

Overall 60% of people with disabilities don't have emergency kits.
Why? Reason #1: "they didn't know how to prepare them."

79% when surveyed said they wouldn't evacuate
Why: They had no where to go or felt that they were safer at home.
Or their spouse didn't feel it necessary EVEN WHEN electricity was tatamount to
saving a life.

35% stated in a survey said that they expected "someone to save them"
be it their care taker, emergency responders or "someone in the neighborhood".

(This survey was from a 2009 questionaire by Red Cross & FEMA)

Hmmm. disapointing at best.
Some things are changing for the best. PWD are becoming MORE Involved in decision making
"Nothing without us, About us" I love that war cry :lol:
They are educating emergency responders and shelter workers what their needs are
(After all YOU are the one that KNOWS YOUR disability BEST and what is needed to stay alive!)
They're listening - HOWEVER, ya still gotta step up. Right?

Its January, my friends, and NOW is the time to think about preparedness. Although NOT just for canes, even though it is one of our biggest threats here in SE TX.

So how about getting that kit ready?
How about thinking on where you would go to stay alive?
How about thinking how YOU will save your own life or help others?

I have PLENTY of information on this forum to get you started
and I have stated PLENTY of times that if you need help to email me.

(Its a canyon in here I can hear the echo of my voice...helllloooooooooo)

Lets not be a stat, a victim, a person on a survey who says "I dunno."
I really expect better.

Enjoy our January thaw. Hopefully, flip flops and tank tops will be in reach and on, soon :mrgreen:
Texas Pirate

Hello Everyone,

I hope you're enjoying the nice weather - complete with a bit of rain (think BLUE BONNETS!)

I am posting the Cold Weather Information for People with Disabilities again - although it says TEXAS,
this can be applied to our friends/family who may be impacted by a snow storm that will affect
the East Coast this weekend - the Weather Channel named it NEMO - kinda fishy huh?

IF you have friends/family on the East Coast - you might want to pass this information along.
And I hope all are safe & warm: boo winter.

Texans with Disabilities Preparedness for Cold Weather

Some Texans with disabilities are particularly vulnerable to exposure from cold and freezing temperatures, especially Texans who use a wheelchair, are paralyzed, use a service dog, or have sensory disabilities. The following suggestions may be helpful.
Suggestions for Keeping Safe and Warm This Winter
• Organize activities outside of your home so you go out in the warmest part of the day.
• Texans who are paralyzed from the chest or waist down and individuals who have difficulty sensing and maintaining heat in their extremities are at risk for severe frostbite and need to protect their feet, pelvic areas, and hands because of circulation problems. It is important to dress for the weather by wearing several layers of clothes, keeping your head, neck, and chest covered with scarves, and wearing two pairs of thick socks under lined boots. Texans using a wheelchair should wrap a blanket over their pelvic region and limit their amount of time outside.
• To enable the full functioning of driving adaptation equipment in motor vehicles, allow your vehicle to warm up before you get in it.
• Service animals should wear a coat or cape underneath their regular harnesses and should sit or lay on blankets to protect against cold in your vehicle or on cold floors in the vehicle or on cold floors inside your home or place of destination. Sometimes it is helpful in snow to protect your dog’s paws with boots or be sure to warm feet and clean any debris once inside.
• Pneumatic tires provide better traction for wheelchairs on icy surfaces. Tires for dirt bikes (sold through bicycle shops) can be used as an alternative on icy surfaces.
• Ramps should be cleared of ice by using sand or cat litter, as rock salt is poisonous to service dogs. Rock salt can also be slippery for certain types of mobility aides.
• Keep antifreeze away from your service dog and all other pets since it is deadly to animals. Antifreeze’s appealing smell and taste often tempt animals. Ensure that antifreeze is stored well away from your service dogs, pets, and children. Ensure antifreeze spills are completely cleaned up and leaks are immediately repaired.
• Freezing rain will stick to canes, walkers, fore arm cuffs, and wheelchairs, making the metal parts slippery and cold to touch. Driving gloves which grip can be helpful.
• When returning wheelchairs to vehicles, it is important to first remove the tires and shake the debris and ice off of them. The tire rims, and other metal parts that may have any salt or other de-icing chemicals on them need to be wiped off to avoid rust on the metal parts.
• Prepare a back-up plan for loss of electricity if you use a ventilator or oxygen.
• Keep phone numbers handy for family and friends to call for help if needed.
Public Health Interventions
Helping educate communities about preventive steps in advance of winter and once a storm has begun will help reduce the impact of the storm. Winter storm preparation activities should include:
• Home winterization activities (insulating pipes, installing storm windows).
• Collecting winter clothing and supplies such as extra blankets, warm coats and clothes, water-resistant boots, hats and mittens.
• Assembling a disaster supplies kit containing a first aid kit, battery powered weather radio, flashlight, and extra batteries.
• Stocking canned food, non-electric can opener, and bottled water.
• Winterizing vehicles, keeping gas tank full, and assembling a disaster supplies car kit.
• Staying away from downed power lines.

Winter Weather Checklists

• Stock up on emergency supplies for communication, food, safety, heating, and transportation in case a storm hits.
Communication Checklist
• Make sure you have at least one of the following in case there is a power failure:
o Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio (for listening to local emergency instructions). Have extra batteries.
o National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio receiver (for listening to National Weather Service broadcasts). See www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr for more information.
• Find out how your community warns the public about severe weather:
o Siren
o Radio
o TV
o Social Media
• Listen to emergency broadcasts.
• Know what winter storm warning terms mean:
o Winter weather advisory: expect winter weather conditions to cause inconvenience and hazards.
o Frost/freeze warning: expect below-freezing temperatures.
o Winter storm watch: be alert; a storm is likely.
o Winter storm warning: take action; the storm is in or entering the area.
o Blizzard warning: seek refuge immediately! Snow and strong winds, near-zero visibility, deep snow drifts, and life-threatening wind chill.
Food and Safety Checklist
Have a week’s worth of food and safety supplies. If you live far from other people, have more supplies on hand.
• Drinking water
• Canned/no-cook food (bread, crackers, dried fruits)
• Non-electric can opener
• Baby food and formula (if baby in the household)
• Prescription drugs and other medicine
• First-aid kit
• Supply of cat litter or bag of sand to add traction on walkways
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• Battery-powered lamps or lanterns
(To prevent the risk of fire, avoid using candles.)
Water Checklist
• Leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously.
• Install UL approved carbon monoxide detectors.
• Keep the indoor temperature warm.
• Allow more heated air near pipes. Open kitchen cabinet doors under the kitchen sink.
• If your pipes do freeze, do not thaw them with a torch. Thaw the pipes slowly with warm air from an electric hair dryer.
• If you cannot thaw your pipes, or if the pipes have broken open, use bottled water or get water from a neighbor’s home.
• Have bottled water on hand.
• In an emergency—if no other water is available—snow can be melted for water. Bringing water to a rolling boil for one minute will kill most germs but won’t get rid of chemicals sometimes found in snow.
Heating Checklist
• Have at least one of the following heat sources in case the power goes out:
o Fireplace with plenty of dry firewood or gas log fireplace
o Portable space heaters or kerosene heaters
• Check with your local fire department to make sure that kerosene heaters are legal in your area.
• Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
• Use electric space heaters with
o automatic shut-off switches and
o non-glowing elements.
• Keep heat sources at least 3 feet away from furniture and drapes.
• Never leave children unattended near a space heater.
• Have the following safety equipment:
o Chemical fire extinguisher
o Smoke alarm in working order (Check once a month and change batteries once a year.)
o Carbon monoxide detector
• Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
o Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet.
o Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.
o Use individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords to plug in other appliances.
Cooking and Lighting Checklist
• Never use charcoal grills or portable gas camp stove indoors—the fumes are deadly.
• Use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns.
• Avoid using candles.
• Never leave lit candles unattended.
Car and Emergency Checklist
• Avoid traveling when the weather service has issued advisories.
• Cell phone; portable charger and extra batteries
• Shovel
• Windshield scraper
• Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio (and extra batteries)
• Flashlight (and extra batteries)
• Water
• Snack food
• Extra hats, coats, mittens
• Blankets
• Chains or rope
• Tire chains
• Canned compressed air with sealant (emergency tire repair)
• Road sand
• Booster cables
• Emergency flares
• Bright colored flag
• Help signs
• First aid kit
• Tool kit
• Road maps
• Compass
• Waterproof matches and a can (to melt snow for water)
• Paper towels
Safety rules to follow in case you become stranded in your car.
• Stay with your car unless safety is no more than 100 yards away, but continue to move arms and legs.

• Stay visible by putting bright cloth on the antenna, turning on the inside overhead light (when engine is running), and raising the hood when snow stops falling.

• Run the engine and heater only 10 minutes every hour.

• Keep a downwind window fully opened or opened just a crack.

• Make sure the tailpipe is not blocked.
References:
 Full PDF of Extreme Cold: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/ ... _guide.pdf
 HTML files of Extreme Cold: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/guide.asp
 Information on Weatherization and Utility Bill Help in Texas http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/texans.htm
Texas Pirate

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

This is from the Governors Office Committee for People with Disabilities and its a survey.
This SURVEY is for COMMUNICATION & EMERGENCIES.
Your stories, opinions, ideas will help US save YOU during emergencies.

Please take a moment and let us HEAR FROM YOU.
I thank you in advance.

If you know anyone with a disability encourage them to participate & communicate with US.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Emergenc ... dium=email
  • Information