General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Houstonkid

Katy (Clay/Mason area) so far this week
Saturday .25
Monday .10
Tuesday (2am...ish) 1.30

Keep it coming!
MontgomeryCoWx

We need as much as possible after last year. I'd like to have a good 10 inch + surplus going into the Winter months.
Team #NeverSummer
Portastorm

Already have seen some heavy rain this morning in eastern Travis County, near the airport, over to Bastrop. Not so much in the Austin metro.

Hope those who haven't seen much rain get it today!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Paul wrote:Hang in there Jason, you'll get yours today or tomorrow. I'm concerned that we're going to get some mid morning sun and heating leading to some big storms this afternoon. Would not be suprised to see flood watch issued at some point.
Seeing blue skies off to my N and W. I tend to agree, David. A little destabilization went a long way yesterday in NW Harris County. There does appear to be a boundary lying along an Austin/College Station/Livingston line. Priming the pump for some mid day storms to initiate, I suspect...
Attachments
07102012 13Z TX VIS latest.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MontgomeryCoWx

Yep, i was seeing blue skies in Montgomery County this morning....

Bring on the flooding rains! :D
Team #NeverSummer
djmike

What do you guys feel the Beaumont area will get? Im shocked that on Sun we got 0.07" and Monday 0.04" and so far today 0.00"... We certainly are not getting the rains here as expected.... Should I start to lose hope? :cry:
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Portastorm

As much as 5 inches of rain has reportedly fallen this morning in western Bastrop County. So much so that we now have an evacuation order in place:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE
BASTROP OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
901 AM CDT TUE JUL 10 2012

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE BASTROP OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT.

THIS IS AN EVACUATION NOTICE TO ALL RESIDENTS ON COMANCHE TRAIL OFF OF FM 969 IN WEBBERVILLE. IF TRAPPED CALL 9 1 1. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT IS EN ROUTE.
MontgomeryCoWx

storms starting to pop and its only the 10 o clock hour! :D
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

I am optimistic today will be better. I said that yesterday but today I really mean it ;-)

I didn't run my sprinklers yesterday - holding-out for one more day. I see HGX reset the storm totals on the radar. At first I was bummed because it so clearly showed the disparity in rainfall amounts (and the big black hole of nothing over SC/SE Montgomery County), but maybe it's a good omen to just start over with a clean slate. :-)
redneckweather

I really don't see much in the way of storm coverage north of I-10 today. Solid cloud cover up this way with small pockets of showers and currently 79 degrees at my location.
Snowman

If we don't get some sun north of I-10 here we can say goodbye to all that heavy rain that was forecasted...
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Outflow boundaries moving north from coastal convection, helping to fire some showers in northern Harris County at the moment...I think today may be a day to watch convection to our north and see if a MCS can form south of Dallas and roll south this afternoon/evening. With such high PWATS, NO cap, and a slightly more diffluent atmosphere today...even the smallest amount of sun will send storms firing.
MontgomeryCoWx

We will see some rain, its early. Geez, some of y'all have an abused wife syndrome when it comes to getting or missing out on precipitation.
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

For some reason anything that fires in Montgomery county quickly falls apart. The storms near my house just can't sustain themselves *sigh*.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

[quote="Ed Mahmoud"]It appears to have rained again while I was sleeping.

I noticed Greens Bayou, which is more of a creek where it flows under I-45, was rather elevated yesterday. Hadn't seen it up in a while.

Not sure where it changes from a creek to a bayou. It flooded North of I-10 hours before Ike hit, so it does become tidally influenced eventually, but seems to be more like a creek near me.

Greens Bayou headwaters just SW of Willowbrook Mall and runs west to east to US 59 and then turns almost due south near the NE corner of Beltway 8 and confluences into the Houston Ship Channel. It is tidal well north of I-10, and some of the latest modeling I have done with the WGRFC suggest storm surge inundation would reach as far upstream as E Mt Houston in the channel.

The Greenspoint areas (Knobcrest Gage) is roughly in the upper to middle reaches of the watershed and response quickly to upstream rainfall at Willowbrook and along the north Beltway from I-45 to Sh 249.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wouldn't worry too much regarding the rain chances. PW's are in the 2.4+ range and the sun is breaking through across N/Central Texas. Remember that complex that developed near Dallas/Ft Worth late yesterday gave Travis and Bastrop Counties flooding overnight/early this morning...;)
Attachments
07102012 17Z TX VIS latest.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

srainhoutx wrote:I wouldn't worry too much regarding the rain chances. PW's are in the 2.4+ range and the sun is breaking through across N/Central Texas. Remember that complex that developed near Dallas/Ft Worth late yesterday gave Travis and Bastrop Counties flooding overnight/early this morning...;)
Yeah, but it was also 99 degrees at Camp Mabry yesterday....

I don't doubt we'll see redevelopment, but more sun would make me more hopeful.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

srainhoutx wrote:I wouldn't worry too much regarding the rain chances. PW's are in the 2.4+ range and the sun is breaking through across N/Central Texas. Remember that complex that developed near Dallas/Ft Worth late yesterday gave Travis and Bastrop Counties flooding overnight/early this morning...;)

Rap has been very insistent on heavy rains developing over the area tonight lasting through tomorrow morning...
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Outflow boundary which is now in southern Galveston County moving north has been able to fire of some heavier storms within the shield of Strati-form rain. This boundary may help organize convection which is ongoing north of I10.
jasons2k

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Will we all be looking back fondly on this week at the end of July?
I know - I keep thinking August is coming - that's why 4 days into this event with nothing so far is so heartbreaking. Hopefully the next two days can deliver.
  • Information