JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
cperk

Getting ice accumulation on my plants, temp at 30.6 degrees.
MontgomeryCoWx

Down to 27 in magnolia.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

Damn. It's moderate to heavy sleet/graupel in College Station, instead of snow. Could be a road navigation nightmare if it continues...hoping for changeover soon with this band. 26°F, so this stuff will accumulate and ice down the roads.
Cromagnum

Looks like the line near 288 went from a wintry mix back to cold rain.
cperk

Icicles starting to form here and that concerns me about potential power outages.
sau27

Cromagnum wrote:Looks like the line near 288 went from a wintry mix back to cold rain.
I personally wouldn't put too too much stock in the radar precip depiction. It can be deceiving in these events, especially when areas are so close to the freezing mark.
DoctorMu

Snow in Navasota.

Icy here - roads are getting slick. JUST. STAY. HOME. 4WD doesn't help. 18 wheelers are jackknife machines as well.
christinac2016

jasons wrote:Good morning everyone. I woke-up to pings of sleet starting at 5:50am. It got a little heavy for awhile. The rooftops and elevated surfaces are white. The ground is frozen with a layer of sleet as well. It's a chilly 28 and dropping. Yes, a good day to stay at home and have some homemade chicken noodle soup.

....or vegetable soup. I've been up since 4:15 (gotta get the work out in) and it's just gotten worse. My boss probably thinks I'm the idiot thinking she expects me to try and make it to the office. My stairs are covered in sleet/wet snow.
DoctorMu

TWC has live feed of some dumb cajuns in Shreveport sliding around an ice rink for roads and the I-20 interstate.

Don't be a moron. Stay home.

Boerne - New Braunfels - Gonzalez band is an absolute mess of mixed precip and temps in the mid-20s.

Don't be a hero - you'll be a zero. Don't do it. Stay home. The brine was laid down many days ago - ice is building.
DoctorMu

christinac2016 wrote:
jasons wrote:Good morning everyone. I woke-up to pings of sleet starting at 5:50am. It got a little heavy for awhile. The rooftops and elevated surfaces are white. The ground is frozen with a layer of sleet as well. It's a chilly 28 and dropping. Yes, a good day to stay at home and have some homemade chicken noodle soup.

....or vegetable soup. I've been up since 4:15 (gotta get the work out in) and it's just gotten worse. My boss probably thinks I'm the idiot thinking she expects me to try and make it to the office. My stairs are covered in sleet/wet snow.
My son had to go to work this morning, and the group are allegedly scientists and engineers. Fortunately, he has no bridges between work and home. That may or may not be enough... Morons.
Last edited by DoctorMu on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

HGX considering Upgrading the Winter Weather Advisory to the South of Houston to a Warning.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

srainhoutx wrote:HGX considering Upgrading the Winter Weather Advisory to the South of Houston to a Warning.
need to. 31 and ice on cable wire
DoctorMu

snow
sleet
freezing rain
graupel

We've officially have run the entire gamut of frozen precip this winter in College Station.
jasons2k

Down to 27F here. I haven't seen anything like this since I lived up in Dallas. It reminds me of an event we had in 2003? It came in during the day like this. They let us leave the office early, like at 2, but it still took me over four hours to get home. It's looking like some people in Houston are going to have the same experience later today.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

just freezing rain here. Looks like lower levels are still above freezing
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
DoctorMu

Besides the New Braunfels band, there's another band forming between Eagle Pass and Beeville. Also rotating east.

...and it just keeps getting colder. 25°F now in CLL. Some reporting 23°F, 24°F in town.

Cypress is reporting 27°F, 30°F in downtown Houston. Overpasses and raised roads will become ice skating rinks.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Light sleet..and 32 in Humble.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

DoctorMu wrote:Besides the New Braunfels band, there's another band forming between Eagle Pass and Beeville. Also rotating east.

...and it just keeps getting colder. 25°F now in CLL. Some reporting 23°F, 24°F in town.

Cypress is reporting 27°F, 30°F in downtown Houston. Overpasses and raised roads will become ice skating rinks.

yea TAMU mesonet shows 24.2 currently. Getting cold up there.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
DoctorMu

jasons wrote:Down to 27F here. I haven't seen anything like this since I lived up in Dallas. It reminds me of an event we had in 2003? It came in during the day like this. They let us leave the office early, like at 2, but it still took me over four hours to get home. It's looking like some people in Houston are going to have the same experience later today.
Yep. The PSA for the Day is STAY HOME. In these kind of conditions you have to take your foot off the accelerator...and brakes. If you slide on an icy surface while driving a vehicle, you have to turn the wheel the opposite direction than you normally would. If you've never driven in these conditions, then preserve your record and DON'T.

STAY HOME.
Cromagnum

Small glaze of ice on a chain on my patio and picnic table. Nothing else to report beyond a lot of wind.
  • Information