JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
davidiowx

Wondering what the schools will be doing with the freezing line coming in faster than previously thought..
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Lake Charles will be issuing a Winter Weather Advisory this afternoon. Just fyi...
stormlover

Thanks Blake, I think they will up it for everyone I think
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

HGX considering an expansion of the Winter Storm Warning into the Houston area this afternoon.
stormlover

Doesn’t surprise me I’m sure lake Charles will do same
harp

Keep it going east! Watching and waiting here in SE Louisiana!
snowman65

Looks like this whole event is picking up speed and growing....???
DoctorMu

stormlover wrote:Trend is our friend
12z Canadian and GFS bringing it.
Rip76

Question.

I manage drivers for a chemical trucking company. Now I know all of the links to HGX/GAL weather, but does anyone have links for Dallas and San Antonio weather bulletins, etc?

I have just taken over these areas as well.

Thanks in advance.
DoctorMu

Winter weather warning for Hearne; winter weather advisory for CLL and Navasota for now.
MontgomeryCoWx

davidiowx wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:I just went through all of the snowfall maps (GFS, CMC, Euro, NAM, RGEM, WRF). It paints a picture of precip in everyone, with the low end being a dusting and the high end being around 3 inches in the Brazos Valley down to Montgomery County. Houston's average is around 1 inch but I'm sure that is including frz rain and sleet.
An inch of freezing rain would be a nightmare here!!

That's not what I was saying. The snowfall depth maps average out to 1 inch amongst the short term and global models. I'm pretty sure most of those maps include all frozen precip
Team #NeverSummer
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rip76 wrote:Question.

I manage drivers for a chemical trucking company. Now I know all of the links to HGX/GAL weather, but does anyone have links for Dallas and San Antonio weather bulletins, etc?

I have just taken over these areas as well.

Thanks in advance.
Fort Worth/Dallas:

http://www.weather.gov/fwd/

San Antonio/Austin:

http://www.weather.gov/ewx/

We'll do our best to pass along as much information as we can throughout the event for Texas. Blake can help me monitor chat for any pertinent information that we are allowed to pass along via NWS/NOAA Chat Guidelines... ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Rip76

Thank you sir.
harp

Hey, folks. I know this is a Texas forum, but please keep your neighbors over here in Louisiana in mind. I know a lot of people in my area frequent this forum for information. Thanks.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

harp wrote:Hey, folks. I know this is a Texas forum, but please keep your neighbors over here in Louisiana in mind. I know a lot of people in my area frequent this forum for information. Thanks.
We will Harp. We're here to assist all of our Neighbors across Texas and Louisiana as well as our surrounding Region.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MontgomeryCoWx

GEFS very bullish with .3-.5 inches of liquid precip over our area. Question becomes how much falls as freezing rain, sleet or snow.

I'd take .15-.2 inches of liquid qpf as all snow, especially if we are pushing 15:1 ratios instead of 10:1 as the High settles south.
Team #NeverSummer
don

The 12z Euro is more onboard now also, it too like the Canadian was one of the drier models, not anymore... lol

http://wx.graphics/models/ecmwf/2018011 ... xas_30.png

http://wx.graphics/models/ecmwf/ecmwf_usa.php
ticka1

Serious question - when will this winter unfold in houston area from downtown to east side? will it be tuesday during day or later in the evening?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:Serious question - when will this winter unfold in houston area from downtown to east side? will it be tuesday during day or later in the evening?

Current thinking is freezing conditions could begin late morning/midday in Downtown into the afternoon rush hours and possibly into the evening. The duration of wintry precipitation is still in question. Check back later. HGX is closely monitoring trends via all guidance including the various ensemble schemes to update with their afternoon package. Expect changes.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
don

Latest Texas Tech WRF is even more aggressive with precipitation, like what HGX mentioned in their last discussion there could be the potential for some mesoscale banding.
  • Information