JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

29F in NW Harris County this morning for my low. Wind will makes it feel like 19F. Look for a reinforcing shot of cold air to arrive tomorrow with possibly even colder morning temperatures Sunday morning under clear skies.

We get a brief return flow off the Gulf Monday before another strong shot of Canadian Air arrives Tuesday. The models are 'hinting' that our Northern Counties may have a chance to switch over to a wintry mix before it dries out. Right now in Metro Houston, it looks like a cold rain. That said it's still 5 days out and the Global models do indicate a strong 1050 Arctic Ridge dropping into the Plains so we will see if we can squeeze another wintry mischief event out of this pattern.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MontgomeryCoWx

srainhoutx wrote:29F in NW Harris County this morning for my low. Wind will makes it feel like 19F. Look for a reinforcing shot of cold air to arrive tomorrow with possibly even colder morning temperatures Sunday morning under clear skies.

We get a brief return flow off the Gulf Monday before another strong shot of Canadian Air arrives Tuesday. The models are 'hinting' that our Northern Counties may have a chance to switch over to a wintry mix before it dries out. Right now in Metro Houston, it looks like a cold rain. That said it's still 5 days out and the Global models do indicate a strong 1050 Arctic Ridge dropping into the Plains so we will see if we can squeeze another wintry mischief event out of this pattern.
I'm right on the rain/mix line, but I'm not worried about that. As usual with these fronts< they tend to come in colder and with a TEN FIFTY plus HP coming down I think we will trend colder>
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Tuesday looks very interesting along I-35 and East for most of the state. 12z came in a tad colder overall for the state and more moisture.
Team #NeverSummer
don

Yes GFS is trending more and more towards the Euro, we all know that in this range models tend to underestimate the cold air, i would expect the trend to continue as we get closer and wouldn't be surprised at all to see frozen precipitation further south than what the GFS is showing now, like what the Euro shows.

Cromagnum

It can do all the wintry crap it wants next week. I have visitors coming from the Middle East I need to work with all week and don't have time to deal with road closures and morons on the road.
don

12z Euro is still onboard with a wintry mix as far south as the coastal counties
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

TXDOT Houston Regional Offices are pre treating roadways/flyovers/overpasses today and will again tomorrow. Monday is a Federal Holiday, so as a precaution certain Freeways are being brined.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote:TXDOT Houston Regional Offices are pre treating roadways/flyovers/overpasses today and will again tomorrow. Monday is a Federal Holiday, so as a precaution certain Freeways are being brined.
Dew points will probably be low - that helps a bit as well. TxDOT did a good job with the New Year's Eve and Jan 2 events. I was on the road and no problems at all. As always watch bridges and overpasses.

It's actually a beautiful blue skied, sunny day in CLL. As blue a sky as I've ever seen in Texas. A little nippy but feels good in the sun.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

12z Euro brings borderline winter storm to parts of Houston. 12z gfs does seem to be trending towards a colder, wetter solution, too.
mckinne63

I am probably in the minority, but love being able to wear my winter coat and sweaters! I was born in Wisconsin, so this is spring like temps there. :lol: Wearing shorts in January is just wrong. ;) Been in Texas for 31 years now, still can't get used to wearing shorts in Winter, but do it as a necessity when it is warm and humid. Not hoping for freezing roadways though! Just keep it chilly and sunny.
snowman65

They did have rain/snow showers in our forcast for Tuesday briefly but back to rain only. Im sure it will change a few more times until then...
TexasBreeze

Freezing rain is in for Harris County Tuesday NWS. Not a snow forecast for now.
DoctorMu

NOAA suppressed the high down to 34°F on Tuesday. Wintry mix expected in CLL.

HGX
PREV DISCUSSION... /ISSUED 336 PM CST Fri Jan 12 2018/

DISCUSSION...
A dry, but cold weekend is in store across the region. Most inland
locations will see freezing overnight temperatures tonight and
Saturday night. A few areas northeast of a Burleson-Cleveland line
may see readings briefly dip to around 24 degrees tonight. We`re
not planning to issue a hard freeze warning at the moment, but
will let the next shift reevaluate the trends.

Winds gradually veer to an onshore direction on Sunday...allowing
for a return of moisture to the region through the day Monday
ahead of an Arctic front that`ll be diving southward through the
Plains.

Models are in fairly good agreement bringing the frontal boundary,
and associated precipitation ahead of and behind it, into
southeast Texas late Monday night and Tuesday. It`s still too
early to accurately predict the thermal profile at the surface and
aloft that far out
, but chances are that portions of the area may
see precip transition from liquid to frozen at some point as
temperatures fall through the day. Expect changes to the forecast
as time gets closer, details become more clear (hopefully), and
forecast confidence improves.

Precip should come to an end Tuesday evening. Cold temperatures will
linger through the midweek time period, followed by gradual moderating
trend going into the weekend as onshore winds resume. 47
unome

currently sitting at 34, 6 degrees higher than point forecast, but dewpoint is 20 so I expect that to fall

executive airport looks much colder than surrounding area, not sure that'c correct?

love the GOES16 WV Loop at this site
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/mwmap2.php? ... =0&limit=1
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KCFD
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KTME
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KDWH
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KIAH
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KHOU
snowman65

Is it just me or is this system just not drawing near the attention as the last system a few weeks ago? Doesnt seem to be much interest. I figure the room would be hopping.
Last edited by snowman65 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueJay

Our fingers are frozen....
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

12z Euro is coming in. Continues trend of backing off the frozen precip. It still shows a chance of some very light -P but overall pretty underwhelming. Looks like the dry air will be difficult to overcome.
don

Starting to think the second system on Thursday may be more impactful than the Tuesday storm, the Euro shows an ice storm for central and southeast Texas including the Austin and Houston area's, the 12z Canadian and GFS also hinted at this...
stormlover

Image ?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The afternoon Updated Day 3 QPF output suggests possibly a .10th of inch of liquid on Tuesday. The Afternoon WPC Freezing Rain map for Tuesday shows the greatest threat across the Hill Country and N and E with very slight chances further S into SE Texas and Houston Metro.
Attachments
01142018 1745Z Day 3 QPF fill_99qwbg.gif
01132018 19Z Day 3 ZR prb_24hicez_ge_01_2018011400f072.gif

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information