February: Clear Skies & Moderating Temps To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
nuby3

Kludge wrote:
Paul Robison wrote:Better to overreact than underreact, texoz.
If overreaction is better, then it's clear that...

You're the Best, Paul... :)
Be careful not to generalize things. depends on the situation. sometimes it is better to over-react, sometimes it is better to under-react.
nuby3

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes

returns in NW Harris county. dewpoint 25

I can see the thicker, banding type clouds just to my west orienting from wsw to ene in perfect accordance with what I am seeing on radar

my air temp is 34 and my dewpoint is 26 so I should be able to get below freezing at least if not close to 30 or 31 degrees if I saturated hypothetically
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

EWX reports freezing drizzle near Luling. Also freezing drizzle reported in Llano and Kerrville. Also -zr in the Highland lakes area NW of Austin in Granite Shoals and Lake Buchanan. Light freezing drizzle reported in SW Travis County as well.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

TXDOT has closed portions of I-10 in Bandera County due to icing.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

SHORT TERM FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
740 AM CST FRI FEB 7 2014

TXZ171>173-186>194-204>209-219>225-071600-
LLANO-BURNET-WILLIAMSON-KERR-BANDERA-GILLESPIE-KENDALL-BLANCO-
HAYS-TRAVIS-BASTROP-LEE-MEDINA-BEXAR-COMAL-GUADALUPE-CALDWELL-
FAYETTE-FRIO-ATASCOSA-WILSON-KARNES-GONZALES-DE WITT-LAVACA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LLANO...BURNET...GEORGETOWN...
KERRVILLE...BANDERA...FREDERICKSBURG...BOERNE...BLANCO...
SAN MARCOS...AUSTIN...BASTROP...GIDDINGS...HONDO...SAN ANTONIO...
NEW BRAUNFELS...SEGUIN...LOCKHART...LA GRANGE...PEARSALL...
PLEASANTON...FLORESVILLE...KARNES CITY...GONZALES...CUERO...
HALLETTSVILLE

.NOW...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TODAY...

THROUGH 10 AM...AREAS OF LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE ARE CURRENTLY BEING
REPORTED ACROSS THE HILL COUNTRY. OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY WILL LIKELY SEE PRECIPITATION THROUGHOUT THE
MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL MOVE NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. WITH
TEMPERATURES AT OR BELOW FREEZING THE PRECIPITATION WILL CAUSE
HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE...MOTORISTS ARE
URGED TO DELAY TRAVELING THIS MORNING UNTIL TEMPERATURES HAVE A
CHANCE TO RISE ABOVE FREEZING.

$$

TXZ183>185-202-203-217-218-228-071600-
VAL VERDE-EDWARDS-REAL-KINNEY-UVALDE-MAVERICK-ZAVALA-DIMMIT-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DEL RIO...ROCKSPRINGS...LEAKEY...
BRACKETTVILLE...UVALDE...EAGLE PASS...CRYSTAL CITY...
CARRIZO SPRINGS

.NOW...
THROUGH 10 AM...AREAS OF DRIZZLE AND FOG ARE POSSIBLE THROUGHOUT
THE MORNING. MOST TEMPERATURES ARE CURRENTLY AT OR ABOVE
FREEZING. IN AREAS WHERE TEMPERATURES ARE BELOW FREEZING THERE
COULD BE SOME ACCUMULATION OF ICE...ESPECIALLY ON ELEVATED
SURFACES AND BRIDGES. MOST RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE A TRACE TO A
FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO RISE ABOVE
FREEZING BY MID MORNING.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

No reports of freezing drizzle across the entire HGX forecast area at this time. Nothing falling in NW Harris County at this hour. Sleet and snow is falling across N Texas though.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
nuby3

srainhoutx wrote:No reports of freezing drizzle across the entire HGX forecast area at this time. Nothing falling in NW Harris County at this hour. Sleet and snow is falling across N Texas though.
I have yet to see a single snow flake this entire winter. a real one. that's all I'm looking for
snowman65

nuby3 wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:No reports of freezing drizzle across the entire HGX forecast area at this time. Nothing falling in NW Harris County at this hour. Sleet and snow is falling across N Texas though.
I have yet to see a single snow flake this entire winter. a real one. that's all I'm looking for

Not even graupel!!!!..lol..I just like saying that word!
nuby3

snowman65 wrote:
nuby3 wrote:

Not even graupel!!!!..lol..I just like saying that word!

I like graupel very much but I want dendrites
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I don't see any winter precip for the Houston area (inside Beltway 8) today, and next week's system looks like a rain event, as temps surface and up to 7000 ft may be well above freezing. A good bit of rain is possible, though.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morning Update from Jeff:

Radar returns starting to increase from S TX into central TX and the western portions of SE TX.

700am surface temperatures were at or below freezing from near Conroe to Columbus to Beeville. Surface observations indicate light freezing drizzle and freezing rain is developing northward from deep south TX with Kingsville currently reporting 32 and freezing rain. As lift increases this morning expect drizzle and light rain to become increasingly widespread across SE TX and where surface temperatures are below freezing this precipitation will freeze on contact with now cooled elevated surfaces. College Station has now been below freezing for 35 straight hours so roadway surfaces have become cooled to or below the freezing point.

Expect freezing drizzle to develop over the next few hours from north of Victoria to College Station and Huntsville where surface temperatures are in the upper 20’s and will see very little if any recovery through the morning hours.

Temperatures further east across the Houston metro area are running in the 33-35 degree range which is a few degrees too warm for freezing precipitation. Onset of precipitation will result in a drop in the surface air temperature given the low dewpoints in place, but warm air advection above the surface should help offset this cooling some and do not expect surface temperatures to fall to or below freezing southeast of a line from Conroe to Victoria.

Maximum lift will be realized across the area this afternoon and evening so widespread drizzle and light rain will continue into the evening hours as the short wave disturbance passes east of the region overnight. Should see enough subsidence behind this system to result in clouds clearing on Saturday and temperatures finally rebounding into the 50’s and 60’s under southerly winds and greater amounts of sunshine.

The break looks short lived however as the next storm system will already be approaching the state by the early part of next week. Another polar/arctic front will cross the area on Monday and suspect models are too warm with the post frontal air mass currently. Will likely see temperatures trending downward over the weekend for the Mon-Wed time period next week. A series of upper level disturbances will transverse the area behind the cold front brining another period of clouds and precipitation. Could end up seeing more “actual” rainfall with this upcoming event when compared to the drizzle of the past few events which the area is in great need of at the moment to help mitigate the increasing drought conditions. For now will keep everything liquid, but if models do start to trend colder will have to start to look at P-type a little closer in the Tues-Wed time frame.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
nuby3

Corpus Christie raises WWA. currently reporting 33 and light rain. dewpoint 29

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CORPUS CHRISTI TX
726 AM CST FRI FEB 7 2014

...FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN ACROSS EASTERN
SECTIONS OF SOUTH TEXAS THIS MORNING...

.TEMPERATURES HAVE FALLEN THIS MORNING TO OR SLIGHTLY BELOW
FREEZING THIS MORNING. THIS HAS RESULTED IN AREAS OF LIGHT
FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN TO DEVELOP THIS
MORNING...ESPECIALLY EAST OF HIGHWAY 281. ELEVATED SURFACES SUCH
AS BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES MAY BECOME SLICK THIS MORNING...
RESULTING IN DANGEROUS TRAVELING CONDITIONS. SOME PRIMARY ROADS
MAY DEVELOP A GLAZE OF ICE AND BECOMING SLICK AS WELL.

rockport airport is reporting light snow and 33 degrees dewpoint 30

Current Conditions
Light Snow Fog/Mist

33°F 1°C

Humidity89%
Wind SpeedN 13 mph
Barometer30.29 in (1026.0 mb)
Dewpoint30°F (-1°C)
Visibility2.50 mi
Wind Chill24°F (-4°C)

Last Update on 7 Feb 7:53 am CST

Current conditions at

Rockport, Aransas County Airport (KRKP)

Lat: 28.09°N Lon: 97.05°W Elev: 26ft.

3 Miles WNW Rockport TX

7 Day Forecast
Corpus Christi, TX
NWS Weather Forecast Office

Today
Chance Freezing Rain Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%

High: 43 °F

Tonight
Chance Rain Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30%

Low: 41 °F
Saturday
Portastorm

Speaking of ice storms, precipitation has finally started falling here in Austin. Areas of freezing drizzle and light freezing rain have commenced. Should continue into the afternoon until our surface temps climb above freezing.
unome

wxman57 wrote:I don't see any winter precip for the Houston area (inside Beltway 8) today, and next week's system looks like a rain event, as temps surface and up to 7000 ft may be well above freezing. A good bit of rain is possible, though.
I can only hope the precip will wash some of this pollen away - because even a "medium" level of juniper is enough to send me to the dr, otc stuff doesn't work, took a 24-hr pill with dinner & I was feeling horrid this morning already

http://www.pollenlibrary.com/Genus/Juniperus/

http://www.pollen.com/allergy-forecast.asp

and it's supposed to get worse... :cry:
Paul Robison

Oh, man! What are they thinking?

From ERCOT:

News Release

February 07, 2014

Cold weather, risk of rotating outages return to the Valley tonight

Consumers urged to conserve in order to help avoid the need for these outages

4:30 p.m., Feb. 7, 2014 – With extremely cold weather continuing through tonight in the Rio Grande Valley, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is asking Valley-area residents to reduce their electric use from 4:30 p.m. today until 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 8.

ERCOT sees a renewed risk of rotating outages in the area through tonight due to high power demands and transmission import limitations into the area. The transmission system capacity sending power to the Valley area is affected by a planned outage on facilities that are being upgraded to improve future electric capacity in the region. The facilities cannot be returned to service in time to serve increased power demand associated with the extremely cold weather that is driving up power demands.

Rotating outages are controlled, temporary interruptions of electric service that are typically limited to 15-45 minutes before being rotated to a different neighborhood. If rotating outages become necessary to protect the transmission grid, they will continue as long as needed to maintain the grid reliability and prevent a more serious situation.

The specific locations and durations are determined by local utilities. Some customers may experience longer outages if power surges cause equipment failure during the restoration process. Customers can minimize power surges by turning off appliances, lights and other equipment, except for one task light to determine when power has been restored.

Following are some steps Valley-area residents can take to help prevent these controlled outages:
■Keep your thermostat as low as is comfortable, preferably no higher than 68 degrees.
■Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
■Avoid running large appliances such as washers, dryers and electric ovens during peak energy demand hours (6-9 a.m. and 4-8 p.m.).
■Close shades and blinds at night to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
■Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.

BTW: Srainhoutex, should I prepare for more freezing temperatures next week?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I never lost power today, Paul. Did you?

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Paul Robison

srainhoutx wrote:I never lost power today, Paul. Did you?
No. I just posted that 'cause I feel sorry for the people in the Rio Grande valley, that's all.
ticka1

what does the long range show for the rest of february into march?
SusieinLP

Hopefully some good soaking rains will come soon...
  • Information