July - Hot & Muggy To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

srainhoutx wrote:Areas across our Western zones are doing fairly well with the speed max moving inland causing enhanced showers and storms. This rainfall is happening in areas that have not seen much if any rainfall to speak of and where drought conditions are far worse than the Beaumont/Port Arthur area.
I'm happy for them, but to see it all east and south of us for days, and to wake-up this morning to see the big blob now WEST of us has my cursing at the sky a bit. Couldn't we be in on it for ONE of those days? Geez. On the optimistic side, the eastern edge should build this way with some heating. Should....
cureduchenne

You hit the nail on the head srainhoutex! At our house we have seen maybe 2" since late February so we are very excited to see this rain in our area this morning! There have been many a times I had to read about Houston and surrounding areas receiving rain and wished it would rain over our crops and pastures. The rain is definitely a blessing.
PaulEInHouston

Am glad to see some areas getting much needed rain. What would be ideal, imo, is for a large yet weak tropical system to move into middle Texas coast, and then on into Central Texas...the State needs a break with this drought. A large enough system would, on a track like that, bring widespread rains to a large chunk of Texas that really needs it. Of course, just wishcasting here.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

E-mail update from Jeff:

One more day of potential for decent rainfall…but thus far the tropical wave has under-produced…

While the air mass over the region is tropical in nature with deep moisture in place and a nearly saturated profile there has yet to be any significant rainfall. Radar currently shows an area of showers and thunderstorms from Victoria to western Fort Bend County and a second area from northern Waller County to south of College Station. A few other showers are noted over Chambers County, but the NW Gulf is fairly void of NW moving showers. PWS analysis shows drier air over the central Gulf of Mexico moving toward the upper TX coast and this explains the overall lack of offshore development this morning. With heating still expect scattered coverage inland today but mainly before 200pm as is common in such tropical air masses.

Upper ridging builds eastward for the rest of the week, but we lie on the southern flank of the ridge with modest moisture values…or enough moisture to at least have a chance of showers and storms each afternoon. Upper ridging gains more ground by the end of the week and subsidence aloft should end rain chances. Without widespread wetting rains, the ground remains very dry and will easily heat under the ridge. Expect late week temperatures to make the upper 90’s to near 100.

US upper air pattern actually looks to repeat its again with strong ridging in the west developing a deep downstream SE US trough which is blocked by strong western Atlantic ridging. With blocking high pressure on both coasts, the SE US trough is stuck in place and slowly begins to move westward as the western Atlantic high builds west and the western US high retreats some by this weekend. This places TX back into N and NW flow aloft which is mainly a dry and hot flow for us this time of year. Could see some sort of boundary approach from the NE over the weekend, but not sure there will be enough moisture for more than 20% chance of storms.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
djmike

Well....opposite of what QPF has been showing all along! Houston getting majority of the rain rather than extreme SETX or SWLA. Just proves you cant trust ANYTHING or ANY storm system. Might not be a lot of rain for Houston, but its more than what us in the Golden Triangle are getting or going to get! Still believe 94L was a complete joke though! No matter if it rains or not! It was a complete BUST! Now on to praying for moisture from Chantel to come to Tx!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
jasons2k

Got to be kidding me! The line looked so promising, but the piece moving towards The Woodlands/Oak Ridge just went poof as it approached! This was after I just went to the shopping center and saw a giant red or white oak with leaves raining down, and the tips of the branches turning bare. We really need rain here today - the trees can't go for another week like this!
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Raining in the Gulfgate area at this time.......
kayci

not a drop in Tx City
:(
txflagwaver

Listening to the thunder as the rain falls elsewhere.

Coastal storms HA!

Like I have said before, when the "It's gonna rain inches" mantra starts...I go turn on the sprinklers.
jasons2k

Looks like I have one last hope - if the red/yellow mess down along the inner loop & I-45 can just hold together until it gets up here, I might get lucky.
PaulEInHouston

Texas Sat.jpg
Texas Sat.jpg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
Great sat pic showing a mid-upper level low feature moving West...the remnants of the ULL that moved onshore Sat evening my guess and associated with the trough draped across the Texas coast. Still a decent moisture profile offshore, although PW's are dropping in the Gulf, so expecting decreasing rain chances during the day. Looks as well that the feature NWS was forecasting is moving on shore now and firing off this round of convection with some outflow boundaries as triggers. http://wx.apxsolutionsinc.com/wxradarbaseref.php
jasons2k

Nicest rain here in a month! I may get over half an inch from this.
Texas Pirate

I got roughly 60 rain drops in the bay area.

And that might be an exaggeration.... :x

I swear that radar is rigged.
txflagwaver

I think it evaporates before it hits the ground...I heard rain ...put out rain barrel...put plants out in the yard from the porch so they could get a shower...by the time I got in the house it stopped :cry:
SusieinLP

Got enough in my yard to make the sidewalk wet This was boring but it has not been blistering hot so I guess there was something good out of all this
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

All I got was 0.01"! :x
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like I picked up .19 inches over the past 2 days in the old rain bucket. A bit more than I expected and today 'saved' the event. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

I had .42" up here. I'm glad for it but need a lot more than that!
Texas Pirate

Katdaddy wrote:All I got was 0.01"! :x

that was like a flood compared to here in Nassau Bay.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rain chances decrease more for SE TX today and Wednesday. If you saw rain yesterday you were lucky. Perhaps my luck today will bring an isolated shower. TS Claudette approaching the Windward Island with 50MPH winds. NHC brings Chantal up to 70MPH before landfall at the Dominican Rep. Re-intensification is possible if she survives Hispaniola. Several models show a more W bend toward FLA in 120 hours. Still way out at this point.
  • Information