Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texas Pirate

This is the month that we are at the "peak" of our season.
I know you're saying "what season?"
We've been lucky so far - haven't seen this type of cane season since 2002, I believe.

However, right on cue:

97L may enter the GOM sometime this week

If anything does come of this, I'll be back for updates.

Monitor the wx and be prepared.

Enjoy your 1st day of September! ;)
Texas Pirate

If you live in the Bay Area, please make a note about this upcoming Saturday the 7th of September

This is from the City of Nassau Bay Emergency Management Office:
First Responders from the city and surrounding area will participate in an exercise taking place on Saturday September 7, 2013 between the hours of 9a- noon. The exercise is being conducted in order to test and improve the community’s overall preparedness for an emergency event. The incident is not real; however the response activities during the full scale exercise will be practiced in a manner that is as realistic as possible. The area where the exercise will take place will be along Upper Bay Rd at Howard Ward Park. For your safety, and in order to complete the exercise in a realistic environment, you may experience traffic delays between the hours of 9a – 12p. We ask for your patience and support if the exercise causes any inconvenience.
Texas Pirate

The 12Z GFS ensemble members are rather suggestive that something may spin up in the Western Gulf this coming week. Those ensembles also suggest it will not be in any hurry to move which may allow for further development next weekend as well. We will see.

Again, it's September and we need to keep weather alert.
Texas Pirate

September 10

Hello Friends and other people,

Well tis the peak of the cane season and we have an INVEST in the NW CARIB.
about to get to the BOC.

This may be another Mexico hit, but close enough to the Texas border to give us (hopefully) some good rains.

Please stay weather alert - tis the season: I'll be back to update.

Please monitor all weather forecasts

INVEST 93L has been designated for the NW Caribbean tropical disturbance
Texas Pirate

September 10 - afternoon update

Some of our weather models have trended Invest 93L a bit more NORTH bringing it closer to the TX/MX border.
This could the drought buster we've been praying for, bringing beneficial rains to S. Tx and our Hill Country folks.
This is for now, and things can change.
For us, it would also mean some rains we need - it could be a win/win situation. For now.

In any event, please begin to monitor closely the weather.
Go over your emergency kits/plans.
If you know anyone in South Texas - Brownsville/Corpus Christi
please make sure they are aware and have a plan of action and emergency kits ready.

If this does get named, its the dreaded ""I" one.....Ingrid.

I'll update later.
Texas Pirate

Setpember 10 - evening update

Wx models may be in agreement (WOW) that there could be rain for us here in Texas.

As seen by the map below - S Texas and C. Texas will be two steppin happy...
Hopefully Houston will get some much needed,beneficial rains...

Please continue to monitor the weather.
Texas Pirate

9/11

Looks like, at this point at least, 93L will take a trip to Mexico.

Sorry garden.

Update later.
Texas Pirate

9/12

Good afternoon

TD #10 has formed and currently is in the BOC- coming on into the SW part of the GOM.
If so named, she will be INGRID and at present is moving pretty slowly.

PLEASE continue to monitor the weather. Although at this point NOT forcasted to come here (Houston/Galveston)
we may see some rain out of her.

So far TD is forecasted to come in anywhere from Tampico, Mx to perhaps S. Texas
If you know anyone in S. Texas, please have them closely monitor the weather for the next several days.

As we all know, things can change.

Please be weather aware.

DO ANYONE READ THIS FORUM?
Last edited by Texas Pirate on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Pirate

9/12

Good afternoon

TD #10 has formed and currently is in the BOC- coming on into the SW part of the GOM.
If so named, she will be INGRID and at present is moving pretty slowly.

PLEASE continue to monitor the weather. Although at this point NOT forcasted to come here (Houston/Galveston)
we may see some rain out of her.

So far TD is forecasted to come in anywhere from Tampico, Mx to perhaps S. Texas
If you know anyone in S. Texas, please have them closely monitor the weather for the next several days.

As we all know, things can change.

Please be weather aware.

Here is the latest on TD 10
Texas Pirate

September 13th

5 years ago today, Houston/Galveston was about to face Hurricane Ike
with a surge reminiscent of the 1900 storm. Its the storm where the bay met the GOM.
Today, gratefully, we are almost back brand new.
Galveston is thriving, Bolivar is rebuilding and my bay area is looking good....

We now have TStorm INGRID (9th storm of the season) about to hit Mexico with heavy rains
(some models say anywhere from 10-20 inches....) Flooding will be a major issue for them.

We are hoping S. Texas gets some beneficial rains from this system and our chances here in SE TX
may nudge up a bit next week. Tides will be higher, no doubt.

Please continue to be weather alert and monitor. It aint' over til the fat cane has landed.
Texas Pirate

September 26

Guess I missed the wonderful rain fall about a week ago
My rain gauge had 4 inches of the good stuff when I came home from vacation.

I believe with the cold front coming in, and more on the way for the first week of October or so,
this should (notice SHOULD) conclude Hurricane Season for us in Texas at least. Yes, I know Jerry hit
in October many years ago....grateful this season was a bust, as far as predictions go. It could have been
a disaster.

On that note, I shall return next cane season- unless something brews up this winter
and need to post information for y'all.

NEAUX SNEAUX! as they say in New Orleans. I'll be hibernating if it gets under 50 degrees.

Take care - be weather aware - and I hope my information helped you and others you shared it with :D

Remember: PREPAREDNESS just isn't for Hurricane Season.

Ahoy.
Until then.
Stormrider

Why do I get the feeling that sometime this winter, Ed will be giving us the probabilities of "fluffy winter happiness" or something of that sort and you'll be warning us of the dangers of hypothermia, icy sidewalks, busted pipes, etc... ;)
Keep the helpful info coming. Don't be a stranger, Texas Pirate :)
Texas Pirate

Stormrider wrote:Why do I get the feeling that sometime this winter, Ed will be giving us the probabilities of "fluffy winter happiness" or something of that sort and you'll be warning us of the dangers of hypothermia, icy sidewalks, busted pipes, etc... ;)
Keep the helpful info coming. Don't be a stranger, Texas Pirate :)

Stormrider - that white fluffy stuff wont do his lawn any good. And geez Louise, them crazy cowboys in pick up trucks
zooming off of bridges - that wont do their trucks any good either.....I love snow in POST CARDS...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm around, just not posting on here until there is something to say.
Texas Pirate

Well Happy Halloween to y'all...didn't think I'd be back SO SOON!

We got some spooky scary weather coming in - beginning Wednesday night/Thursday
Heavy rains especially NORTH of 1.10 - but don't discount Houston Metro area at all.

The weather could get severe - so PLEASE monitor the weather
and try and keep the candy dry. :twisted:

IF you are out and about with the kiddos - make sure they can be seen when it starts to get dark.
Safety first...then comes the CANDY!

Stay safe....
Paul Robison

Texas Pirate wrote:Well Happy Halloween to y'all...didn't think I'd be back SO SOON!

Heavy rains especially NORTH of 1.10 - but don't discount Houston Metro area at all.

IF you are out and about with the kiddos - make sure they can be seen when it starts to get dark.

Stay safe....
Could get severe----Texas Pirate, it WILL get severe. Power outages will be widespread to say nothing of property damage! Forget candy, focus on CANNED GOODS!
Texas Pirate

Paul Robison wrote:
Texas Pirate wrote:Well Happy Halloween to y'all...didn't think I'd be back SO SOON!

Stay safe....
Could get severe----Texas Pirate, it WILL get severe. Power outages will be widespread to say nothing of property damage! Forget candy, focus on CANNED GOODS!

Y'all - this will be a rain maker - and possibly tornadoes - am thinking North of us....enjoy the candy.
We all have emergency kits (flashlights/generators) if the lights DO go out...
we've seen these rain makers the past month of so - yay out of drought we go!
Texas Pirate

Hello All
Hope you made it thru our wonderful much needed rain. I know I received over 5 inches of it.
Only heard of one home that was flooded - hope you came out better than that.

Below, please take a moment to read. The City Of Houston will hold a drill on Saturday November 2nd and
they are looking for People with Disaiblities to help in this endeavor. By participating YOU are educating
responders on what YOU need in case of an emergency. You can call 311 and schedule a METROLIFT ride to any
of the locations below if you can help out from 9 - noon.
Sorry this is posted so late I just got the info today :-(

Remember, by helping the responders they can help YOU in an emergency situation.

Participants Needed:
Help Houston Prepare for Emergencies
Help Houston prepare for emergencies. We need volunteers to help us practice the distribution of large amounts of lifesaving medications to the public.
Participants are needed to pick up medicines at
one of 3 mass dispensing sites.
The first 50 participants at each site will receive a 3 day emergency preparedness kit
Certificates of Participation will be offered for anyone wishing
to document their community service hours

When: Saturday November 2nd, 2013, 9am-12pm
Where: Select one of 3 sites listed below
Need more information? Email php@houstontx.gov or call 3-1-1 (713.837.0311)
Southeast: Jones High School, 7414 St Lo Road, Houston, TX 77033
http://coh-radd-fse-area-a.eventbrite.com
North: Scarborough High School, 4141 Costa Rica St., Houston, TX 77092
http://coh-radd-fse-area-b.eventbrite.com
West: Westside High School, 14201 Briar Forest Dr., Houston, TX 77077
http://coh-radd-fse-area-c.eventbrite.com
Paul Robison

Hi, Texas Pirate. It's me again.

What are your thoughts on this upcoming weather system for next week?
Texas Pirate

Paul sorry I didn't respond earlier I was in New York

BUT I am back! And just in time to sing "Baby, It's Cold Outside!" or soon will be this weekend with our first
real polar express choo-chooing down the state. The big winners (if you're winter fans) will be the panhandle
Dallas Metroplex and Hill Country. Some mixed bag of sleet/ice and freezing temps -ANYONE READY FOR SUMMER?

For us in SE TX we'll say goodbye to our flip flops :( and pull out the socks cuz we're going from 70's to 40's with rain and cold this weekend.

So, why do you think I'm here - TO PREPARE FOR WINTER!

Below is a great list from the San Angelo NWS and some tips on traveling-(and preparing your home).
This is the traveling season and we may encounter some winter weather...

Vehicle preparedness and Safety:

Plan your travel route: Check Texas road conditions at http://www.drivetexas.org
Before leaving check any forecast updates from your NWS
Make sure you have a blanket, flashlight, or other emergency materials in the car
water
And if you encounter snow or ice: SLOW DOWN

Dress for the weather
Wear loose fitting light weight clothing in several layers
Wear a hat, mittons or gloves, and boots
Remember... nearly half of your body heat is lost from your body's extremities.
If traveling, remember to take all medications with you.

Preparing Your Home:
Bring all pets inside
Make sure you have food, flashlights with batteries, and other supplies you may need in case you lose power
(generator anyone???)
Exposed pipes may need to be insulated.

I am adding this: IF you use a SPACE HEATER, please monitor it. Do NOT place it near curtains, and watch critters and kids around the space heater. I ran way too many fires down by the Bay Area with the Red Cross due to Space Heaters - Christmas Tree goes up and there goes Grandma's sweater she knitted for you. ALSO please check up on those who may be alone. Have a safe, warm and bountiful Thanksgiving...
Texas Pirate

Here are some great tips if you are driving anywhere this coming week
Please be safe!

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-in ... _guide.pdf
  • Information