January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
texoz

My local thermometer is showing 25 degrees here in Austin with light freezing rain. Already had some accumulation. Upper decks of I-35 are closed as are many other surrounding upper decks. Radar is showing more freezing rain will fall. Hopefully, not too much more moisture or this event could get very ugly.
TxJohn

We're below freezing in NW Harris now. 31.4 degrees..dewpoint at 28.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Texashawk wrote:I'm so annoyed right now - my wife decided to go to work since the warning was dropped to an advisory, the STAR vans are now going. She's afraid she's going to be stuck at the Medical Center. Why they actively decided to lower the warning just before the event baffles me. I know it's a tough call, but I think they should have stuck to their first decision.
The warning was changed to an advisory based on expected ice totals being less than 0.1", I believe. That doesn't mean no icy bridges, just that the thickness of the ice would be less than that for a warning. Chances of significant ice accumulations on power lines and trees is lowered, but not the chance of icy streets.
Texashawk

wxman57 wrote:
Texashawk wrote:I'm so annoyed right now - my wife decided to go to work since the warning was dropped to an advisory, the STAR vans are now going. She's afraid she's going to be stuck at the Medical Center. Why they actively decided to lower the warning just before the event baffles me. I know it's a tough call, but I think they should have stuck to their first decision.
The warning was changed to an advisory based on expected ice totals being less than 0.1", I believe. That doesn't mean no icy bridges, just that the thickness of the ice would be less than that for a warning. Chances of significant ice accumulations on power lines and trees is lowered, but not the chance of icy streets.
Ah. Thanks for the insight. It doesn't make it any easier, though. :|
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Water Vapor/IR Imagery suggests the upper low has turned more to the E and may head toward S Central Texas before the precip comes to an end.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TeamPlayersBlue

And if that happens.....
sau27

Car was reading 33 and moderate drizzle as I was driving in to work just now. Im at the intersection of 59 and the west loop.
nuby3

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:And if that happens.....

HAPPY TIME
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Major icing of roadways and bridges reported in Beaumont/Lake Charles.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TxJohn

Wow. Just dropped to 30.9 degrees here in NW Harris! We need moisture...our cold air is here.
djmike

US National Weather Service Lake Charles Louisiana

830am: Many roads and bridges are beginning to close due to icing. Please stay where you are and only travel for emergency.‪#‎gulfcold‬ <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gulfcold>
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWS Lake Charles advising people to please do not travel. Surface roads and bridges including I-10 icing over. Numerous accidents reported.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
cisa

srainhoutx wrote:Water Vapor/IR Imagery suggests the upper low has turned more to the E and may head toward S Central Texas before the precip comes to an end.

No rain, no rainbows.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

LCH reports heavy snow in Pineville (Rapides Parish)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
djmike

You beat me to it Srain....Yeah, as of now, Beaumont is at a complete stand still. Roads, bridges and overpasses are now shutdown do to major icing and the heavy sleeting still occurring here. Starting to look much like a winter wonderland with ice! By the looks of radar, it looks like we could be dealing with worsening conditions pretty much all day rather than an "ending around noon" situation. TXDOT Beaumont has just released a statement urging everyone here to get off the roads!
icey.PNG
icey.PNG (195.51 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
snowman65

Weather channel saying currently light snow in Orange. Have not been able to confirm that yet.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

Freezing line progressing southward to I-10 corridor. IAH and Tomball now down to 31.

Icing is occurring on elevated surfaces north of I-10 and mixing with sleet.

So far bridges and overpasses are good with road temperatures hovering right near 32. Treatment of roadways appears to be working well keeping ice from forming on bridges and overpasses.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

I would encourage people to think before they post. I just re-read the evening/overnight comments and a lot of people were downright ugly and disrespectful. Some of this from frequent posters. A lot of people calling this the bust of all busts will be eating crow this morning. And honestly, such posts provide NO VALUE to someone trying to get some good weather information.

Remember the golden rule: treat others and you would like to be treated yourself.

And if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

--------
In other news, it's 30F here with light freezing rain on surfaces. The roads are still OK. There is traffic on Rayford....people going to work....I predict a slew of accidents pretty soon.
ticka1

ice on cars back wooden deck beginning to freeze 29 degrees
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First, I want to thank all the pro mets for your yeoman's job on this event. Your time spent here was most valuable. You are part of our world here and we are honored to have you. Second, folks this was an extremely hard event to forecast. Winter weather in Texas is tough to figure out. This event proved that. I echo Jason in saying, please be respectful. You may call this a bust ( it certainly is not), but there is ice falling from the skies as we speak. Be careful on the roadways and if you do not have to travel, do not. Lastly, my car is encased in ice. :)
  • Information