March 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:25 pm I feel the wind shifting. Zero rain, though it looks like Florida is going to get smacked today.
I heard the rain was supposed to pick up later this afternoon. We’ll see. It just seems like during the winter months we never get anything other than light rain or mist.
djmike

Soooo about that 70% rain today? Where is it? Another huge bust?
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
jasons2k

So far, not a drop here. Geez.
DoctorMu

More Blust that bust. ;) I didn't expect any rain.

Winds are no joke - N 24 G 34 IMBY. Winds are stronger in Brenham, which is unusual.
Last edited by DoctorMu on Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

Naturally, after I typed that post a light rain started. :lol: Just a few stinging raindrops.
Cromagnum

I haven't gotten measurable rain here since January sometime. Best I've seen is the driveway gets wet
captainbarbossa19

March is definitely living up to being the windy month it seems. I picked the wrong day to continue cutting back crepe myrtles. Haha! Most people cut their crepe myrtles back around Valentine's Day, but with this prolonged cold, I decided to wait until about now.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

No rain down here in NW Galveston County so far however the gusty winds finally arrived after 4PM
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The N winds are blasting now. Estimating gusts to 40MPH. Galveston recorded a 53MPH gust.
Ameanorme

Yes!!!! Thank you!! I usually feel like I’m the only sane person when it comes to crepe myrtles. Why everyone thinks they’re supposed to be chopped year after year after year blows my mind. It’s insane and makes zero sense.
jasons2k

The wind is cranking here and the temp has held at a steady 40°F since 6:45...the wind (with some downsloping) has kept the temp from bottoming-out so far. Since I brought all my stuff in, if it freezes again, whatever. This is probably the last freeze, finally.
captainbarbossa19

Ameanorme wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 pm
Yes!!!! Thank you!! I usually feel like I’m the only sane person when it comes to crepe myrtles. Why everyone thinks they’re supposed to be chopped year after year after year blows my mind. It’s insane and makes zero sense.
The ones I am trimming back look like what they called "Medusa." I am trying to trim them so that they will look less like that. Haha!
Cromagnum

Didn't quite reach a light freeze here. Got to 34, which is good, so it won't reset my plants and lawn from continuing to green up.
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:28 am Didn't quite reach a light freeze here. Got to 34, which is good, so it won't reset my plants and lawn from continuing to green up.
Same here. 33. The trees will be happy.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:38 am
Cromagnum wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:28 am Didn't quite reach a light freeze here. Got to 34, which is good, so it won't reset my plants and lawn from continuing to green up.
29°F here. Our trees are good. Nothing in my yard is leafing yet. Our next door neighbor has elm trees with tiny leaves. They look fine. Our life oak should be exchanging its leaves in about 7-10 days. Everything is 2-3 weeks late this year. The grackles, mosquito hawks, and our trees are far more accurate than an almanac or NWS or TWC long-term (monthly+) forecast.

Thus, we haven't planted anything yet. 8-)
captainbarbossa19

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:59 pm
29°F here. Our trees are good. Nothing in my yard is leafing yet. Our next door neighbor has elm trees with tiny leaves. They look fine. Our life oak should be exchanging its leaves in about 7-10 days. Everything is 2-3 weeks late this year. The grackles, mosquito hawks, and our trees are far more accurate than an almanac or NWS or TWC long-term (monthly+) forecast.

Yeah I have a red bud tree that is just now starting to bloom. It usually blooms right after Valentine's Day. Also, the pecan trees are still dormant so we'll see what happens once it warms up next week. If it's late March/early April and they are still dormant, look out for more cold!
jasons2k

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:24 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Yeah I have a red bud tree that is just now starting to bloom. It usually blooms right after Valentine's Day. Also, the pecan trees are still dormant so we'll see what happens once it warms up next week. If it's late March/early April and they are still dormant, look out for more cold!
My red bud still hasn't bloomed, but the buds are about to bust open. Even though the forecast low is 33 at my place, with the radiational cooling, there is going to be a heavy frost. Objects like trees and whatnot will probably get below freezing. It should be light enough so that it doesn't kill the buds on most trees like oaks, sweet gums, elms, etc., but the tender plants do need protection tonight.
don

Its early...but models are showing a potent cutoff low moving into the state around the 20th.Could bring the state widespread rain and storms for several days,but too early to know of course.
jasons2k

Had a low of 33. I think we’re safe for planting now.
  • Information