February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

WTH? NWS just flipped from snow Monday to wintry mix up here in the NW.
Cpv17

srainhoutx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:27 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:20 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:08 pm Lol who all is downplaying this now? This is crazy if anyone is downplaying at this point.
People south of 10. There’s been a sharp gradient with ice/snow accumulations on the models north/south of 10. And the NWS even acknowledged it.
48 hours out and you believe everything is set in stone even with the forecasters at HGX? I'm willing to wager you Coastal Counties folk will see your share of sleet/freezing rain and the Causeway will be impassable... ;)
Me personally, no. I’ve been around the weather long enough to know that nothing is set in stone when it comes to the weather, especially 48 hours out.
Kingwood36

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 pm WTH? NWS just flipped from snow Monday to wintry mix up here in the NW.
And mine changed from a wintery mix to snow and sleet...🤔
Attachments
Screenshot_20210212-191452_Samsung Internet.jpg
Ace

Yup. Kikgore/Liberty City. It totally sucked.

The other weird thing is I clearly remember the Siberian coming through every four years in the 70s and early 80s and then it stopped. My brother always told the story of the Rangerettes and the Kilgore College Band marching on ice in the Cotton Bowl parade. Crazy
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:47 pm I grew up in Longview and have experienced 2 weeks with no power after an ice storm. It sucks.
Stratton20

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/ec ... FdZU8o.png
18z Euro ensemble snowfall map is little bit further south
Cpv17

Already down to 33 degrees here in Wharton. Definitely a freeze coming tonight. The wind chill is already brutal at 23 degrees.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cpv17 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:45 pm Already down to 33 degrees here in Wharton. Definitely a freeze coming tonight. The wind chill is already brutal at 23 degrees.
Yea models have consistently been about 5 degrees too warm. Major troubles with the shallowness of the air in general.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
jasons2k

A friend of mine just brought-up the palms are Portofino Plaza. Yeah, sadly, those are likely toast.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWS Houston
@NWSHouston
·
23m
What's remarkable about this cold snap is not only the extremely cold values expected, but also how long the cold weather will be around.

As of 7pm, the Wind Chill in College Station is 20°F... and it may not rise above freezing until Friday of next week.
#BCSwx #HOUwx #TXwx
Attachments
EuEY73HWgAUkf4v.jpeg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
djmike

Getting nervous now. Question...I will be wrapping pipes outside and letting faucets drip inside and having cabinet doors open. But I was thinking, is it smart to crack the attic door in the ceiling for heat to get into or is that not recommended? But i dont want to suck cold air into my home either from the air intake. I figured heat rises, so... need some advice. Always heard to do the norm but never heard to so the attic thing. Im just trying to think and cover all bases.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Kingwood36

David said in a fb live the reason why south of I 10 snow totals are so light is because it starts out as frzing rain while north of I 10 it starts out as snow..he said 1.3 inches of snow on top of whatever ice and sleet falls for south of I 10 which sounds reasonable
Ted

djmike wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:02 pm Getting nervous now. Question...I will be wrapping pipes outside and letting faucets drip inside and having cabinet doors open. But I was thinking, is it smart to crack the attic door in the ceiling for heat to get into or is that not recommended? But i dont want to suck cold air into my home either from the air intake. I figured heat rises, so... need some advice. Always heard to do the norm but never heard to so the attic thing. Im just trying to think and cover all bases.
If you have pipes in the attic, open the door....
MontgomeryCoWx

Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 pm David said in a fb live the reason why south of I 10 snow totals are so light is because it starts out as frzing rain while north of I 10 it starts out as snow..he said 1.3 inches of snow on top of whatever ice and sleet falls for south of I 10 which sounds reasonable
That sounds like what I’ve been thinking for y’all.

I think I may see 5-6 inches up here.
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Ted wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:25 pm
djmike wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:02 pm Getting nervous now. Question...I will be wrapping pipes outside and letting faucets drip inside and having cabinet doors open. But I was thinking, is it smart to crack the attic door in the ceiling for heat to get into or is that not recommended? But i dont want to suck cold air into my home either from the air intake. I figured heat rises, so... need some advice. Always heard to do the norm but never heard to so the attic thing. Im just trying to think and cover all bases.
This.
Team #NeverSummer
djmike

Thanks guys
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 pm NWS Houston
@NWSHouston
·
23m
What's remarkable about this cold snap is not only the extremely cold values expected, but also how long the cold weather will be around.

As of 7pm, the Wind Chill in College Station is 20°F... and it may not rise above freezing until Friday of next week.
#BCSwx #HOUwx #TXwx

As I surmised before. I d*mn sure hope we don't have an ice storm. It would be brutal with over a week at freezing or below.
txsnowmaker

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:35 pm
Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 pm David said in a fb live the reason why south of I 10 snow totals are so light is because it starts out as frzing rain while north of I 10 it starts out as snow..he said 1.3 inches of snow on top of whatever ice and sleet falls for south of I 10 which sounds reasonable
That sounds like what I’ve been thinking for y’all.

I think I may see 5-6 inches up here.
That’s what I’m thinking we may get in the city with Wednesday’s system.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:35 pm
This.

My door to the attic is in the garage. May keep it open. Faucets dripping. Won't fix that toilet that just started running. :lol: Draining the sprinklers tomorrow.
Tx2005

My attic is in the garage and my hot water heater is up in the attic. I noticed the lines coming out and down into the house are wrapped in some black foam lining but I’m not sure how protective that will be in this weather.

Should I crack the attic door or just leave it fully open with the ladder down? Does it being in the garage matter for this?

Thanks for the help everybody.
Kingwood36

Nam and it has sleet all the way to brownsville
Attachments
nam-218-all-tx-instant_ptype-3390400.png
  • Information