October 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

Speaking of changes, can anyone remember the last time we had an EPAC storm's remnants get caught-up in an approaching front over Texas and just dump? When I moved here in 2005, seems like clockwork, every October such an email came from Jeff Lindner warning us to look out for heavy rains. It was like the fall season wasn't complete without at least one of those.

Thinking back now, I can't tell you the last that happened. Years maybe?
Kingwood36

So after this cool weather disappears tomorrow..when is the next one lol
Cpv17

cajun wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:27 am 2.25" in the rain gauge overnight - where did THAT come from? Was expecting about an inch.

Kuykendahl at FM2920.
Wow. We definitely didn’t get that much rain down here on the south side. I just got home and looked at the gauge and we got .60” but I wasn’t even expecting to get that so it’s a win for me.
tropiKal

Houston is at the same latitude as India. Delhi is at the same latitude as Houston. India have the Himalayas and Karakoram to the north, which Texas has no high mountain range.
That's what allows India to be a climate wet dream - they have huge transverse mountain ranges, so they enjoy nice toasty winters without any worry of destructive cold, along with reliable blessed monsoon rains. It can get pretty hot during spring, but the reliability alone is equable.

In contrast, the US has no such tranverse ranges, so is at the mercy of all kinds of weather extremes at one part or another.

There's a reason why India had robust, complex ancient civilizations, while no such empires existed anywhere in America north of the Rio Grande.
tropiKal

jasons2k wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:11 pmA lot more capping in the spring, too. It’s almost like our Climate is becoming like India’s.
That would be the effect, more or less - though there'd be a bit more cyclonic influence without a more consistent monsoon type pattern. It would be more like present day southern/southwest Mexico's.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:55 am Speaking of changes, can anyone remember the last time we had an EPAC storm's remnants get caught-up in an approaching front over Texas and just dump? When I moved here in 2005, seems like clockwork, every October such an email came from Jeff Lindner warning us to look out for heavy rains. It was like the fall season wasn't complete without at least one of those.

Thinking back now, I can't tell you the last that happened. Years maybe?
In Oct 1994 we had 18 inches of rain in <18 hours. I had to kick down the fence to let water out of the backward.
DoctorMu

Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm So after this cool weather disappears tomorrow..when is the next one lol
Yesterday was a perfect Chamber of Commerce day. The humidity is rushing back today under hazy skies. Gamma really screwed up the upper NW flow we had going. More Big Suck this week with highs near 90°F and DP around 70°F.
Cromagnum

It can't even stay cool for 24 hours
snowman65

this will just be another "winter without winter"
DoctorMu

GFS is buying into a very strong cold front in 8-10 days that last more than 24 hours. We'll see about that.

• Information